Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats 'farmed for skins in EU'

Cats 'farmed for skins in EU'
    BBC News has seen evidence which suggests that cats are being farmed for their skins in the European Union.

Cats and dogs are not farmed for their fur in the European Union
    EU website
    It is thought that tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of cat and dog skins are traded in Europe each year.

Campaigners say that now is the time for national governments or the European Commission to act.

Europe, it seems, is a magnet for cat and dog fur.

Cat blankets, so the aficionados say, are good for rheumatism and dog pelts are, according to campaigners, often labelled misleadingly and sold as the fur of some exotic, even mythical beast.

Cat and dog fur trade
    Campaigners claim 2 million cats and dogs slaughtered every year
    Main exporter: China
    12 to 15 adult dogs needed to make a dog fur coat
    Up to 24 cats needed for cat fur coat
    Cat and dog fur also used in hats, gloves, shoes, blankets, stuffed animals and toys
    Dog fur sometimes labelled as: Gae-wolf, sobaki, Asian jackal, goupee, loup d'Asie, Corsac fox, dogues du Chine, or simply fake or exotic fur
    Cat fur sometimes labelled as: house cat, wild cat, katzenfelle, rabbit, goyangi, mountain cat
    Since the US has banned the trade of cat and dog skins, the European market has expanded.

A video seen by BBC News shows one Belgian furrier displaying a blanket he says was made from cats farmed in Belgium.

What's more, he says that stray cats and dogs are rounded up and skinned.

That would seem to contradict the assertion from the officials who help run the EU at the European Commission that there is no cat or dog farming inside the union.

The Commission says that a ban on the trade is not really in their power - it would be better left to national governments.

So far, though, only Italy has brought in such a ban.

Campaigners say there is a lot of evidence that cat and dog fur products are being imported from inhumane fur farms in the Far East.

Earlier this year, DNA tests on winter jackets with fur trim on sale in Italy proved that they were made with dog fur.

Italian shops stocking the jackets said suppliers had told them the coats were made with the fur of raccoons or raccoon dogs - a wild canid originally from eastern Siberia, China and Japan.

Members of the European Parliament campaigning for the trade in such goods to be banned have accused the European Commission of lacking the political will to take up the fight.

They say the trade is not only morally repugnant, but also a case of consumer fraud.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2003/05/08 09:50:14
    This is ****ing terrible
    To us, it is the BEAST.

What are your opinions on leather, out of interest?
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

not a fan
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I had to balance this terrible story with a good one
        Cat inherits house, trust fund

LONDON, England (AP) --Tinker really is the cat that got the cream.

Thanks to his late owner, a wealthy widow, the former stray now lives in some splendor in his own house, valued at 350,000 pounds (US$560,000) and dines on fish bought from his 100,000-pound (US$160,000) trust fund.

The will of Margaret Layne, 89, published in The Times newspaper on Tuesday, named Tinker as the beneficiary of a large chunk of her estate, including her house in Harrow, northwest London.

When he dies, the estate will pass to the trustees, Layne's former neighbors, Ann and Eugene Wheatley, who deliver Tinker's food and milk each day.

The good life is proving attractive to other cats.

In an interview with The Times, Wheatley, 75, said Tinker now shares the house with Lucy, "who was our ***** but decided to move there after she had a litter.

"And there's Stardust, a white cat who came to us from a friend who couldn't look after him any more but chose to go and live there," he said.

Wheatley said recent stock market falls had hit Tinker's trust fund but "there's a limit to what you can spend it on."

He said he had used some of the money to maintain the house "and Tinker is fond of coley [fish], so we bought him some."

Layne, who had no children, died last year, leaving an estate worth nearly 586,000 (US$937,000).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
        http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
        Good to see some cats living the high life.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I hate fur coats and all that ****.....but what I'm wondering is.....why is it worst because the fur is made out of cats and dogs? Raccoons, wolfs and other animals suffer just as much!! Any fur coat from any animal should be banned!!

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Why is fur worse than leather
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Because leather comes from cows which are not wasted just to get the skin. We take the meat, the bones, the skin and all the rest to make saussages.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I think they are both bad, but I'm not so gung-ho about cows. Maybe it's hypocritical, but my godfather had a farm in Wisconsin, and the cows he had were treated very well. Having seen a few pig and cow farms in my days, my experience has led me to believe that most farms run by honest hard-working Americans tend to be very humane. It's corporate farms and these other torture farms that are the real problem.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If I agree to eat a mink can my wife have a coat then
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Why not, as long as there is no waiste.

That's what I hate, dumping the body to keep the skin.....Just like Japs do with sharks...they cut off the fins and put the shark back in the ocean until it bleeds to death!!
                    I wish that all those "fisherman" would fall in the ocean so that the sharks could bite off on of their legs and let them bleed to death.

Spec.

Comment

Do you want to throw them out of helicopters?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

OMG kittens are in danger!!!

Help us save them!
                        Blah

Comment

"Everytime you ********** God kills a kitten."

Maybe the EU's on to something. The dead kittens from this sight would probably clothe a small 3rd world country.

Comment

"If I agree to eat a mink can my wife have a coat then"

Stinger
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                              Why not, as long as there is no waiste.

That's what I hate, dumping the body to keep the skin.....Just like Japs do with sharks...they cut off the fins and put the shark back in the ocean until it bleeds to death!!
                              I wish that all those "fisherman" would fall in the ocean so that the sharks could bite off on of their legs and let them bleed to death.

Spec.
                              I doubt they'd do that.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X