Need things to do in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need things to do in London

Ok, I'm going to be in London from May 29 through June 4. My friends and I haven't planned anything specific yet, so I am culling ideas for fun things to do in London and the immediate vicinity.

I was in London back in 1994, so have done the following:

Tower of London
    Royal Museum*
    Churchill War rooms
    Westminster Abbey
    Madame T's
    St. Paul's Cathedral
    Covent Garden Market*
    watched the Changing of the Guards.

* = will gladly do again

Things I haven't done but would like to do:

Buckingham Palace (but only open in August, right?)
    Royal Opera performance
    The Millenium Dome (obviously)
    City Museum of London
    Jack the Ripper tour (I assume there is one)

And probably lots of other things I just don't know about.

So for those who know London, live there, etc., please give some input on fun things for a Yank tourist to do. I'd also like restaurant recommendations, as I am dreading the English cullinary experience.

Thanks in advance
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Visit some of the museums in the South Kensington area. My university campus was located between the Science Museum and the Albert Hall, just south of Hyde Park. Its a very scenic area and where most of the embassies are located.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wembley stadium
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Spy on Madona.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

visit soho at night.

Comment

Go to the London Eye.

Why would you go to the Millenium Dome?

Comment

The Dome is empty. Don't go there unless you want major disappointment.

Comment

Re: Need things to do in London

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                Things I haven't done but would like to do:

Jack the Ripper tour (I assume there is one)
                Several of those tours, I can't remember which one I took, but it was great fun. Have you read the Cornwall book? Would've bee great to grill the guide on that stuff.

Comment

That eye thing

A big wheel alongside the Thames that goes round and round, with many large carriages attached to it.

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

An overgrown ferris wheel...

Gee, let me contain my excitement...
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Smookie, it's London. If you can't find something to do there, you're hopeless.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Given the lack of skyscrapers in London the London Eye does give a very good view of the city.

Comment

Some other suggestions I've heard:

St. James Palace
                          Victoria & Albert Museum
                          the Old Vic (?).

Day trips to places outside London also needed. I've been to Stonehenge (underwhelming), Stratford, Coventry, Bath and Brighton. I'd love to see some of the nearby castles (but not Warrick, already been there).
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Damnit...if you'd've been going a little later, you could've met the incredible me...
                            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Isn't there a park somewhere over there where ppl get on soapboxes and preach all day? Or is that jsut every park, like here? If there is I'd go there and read the Decleration of Independence in my redneck slang...

Do they call it Quarter Pounder with Cheese? Or what!?

Oh, go see the Eiffel Tower
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X