Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an offensive forward, or a really funny parody of an offensive forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a Parody
    To be a parody, it has to send up or satirize an existent piece of work. This is a satire :

As most of you know, one of my son's serves in the military. He is in Iraq, liberating the people of Baghdad. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes. Telling me how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also.

But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a string bikini. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the Iraqi flag lapel pin she (the cashier) wore on her uniform. The cashier reached up and touched the pin, and said yes, I always wear it. The woman in the bikini then asked the cashier when she was going to stop terrorizing her countrymen.. explaining that she is American and an off duty member of the liberating forces. A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around the cashiers shoulder, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the American woman: "Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man and you have fought and died so that you could stand here, in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of terrorizing your countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR OWN country we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey? if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly I'll gladly pay your way back to the USA so you can straighten out the mess your freedom loving government has created."

Everyone in line, and within hearing distance, cheered the older gentleman, coming forward as they reached for their wallets.. the woman in the bikini left the store in silence.

It warmed my heart to know to that my son went back to his commanding officer and told him what happened. His division, after giving the store patrons fair warning to disperse, leveled the store, sadly killing one or two insurgents in the process.
    I think its an improvement on the original. This is a Parody
    Last edited by Uncle Sparky; May 4, 2003, 17:42.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Very true, all the actions/points in the story are non sequitur
      Problem: Non-sequitur only occurs in the argument mode. This is a narrative. There is a touch of irony in the story (unintended, in my opinion) in that both sides are, in effect, doing the same thing.

That said, I think this piece would have been effective as a supporting example in an argument, but fails to make any point at all on its own.
      "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
      "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kirnwaffen

Problem: Non-sequitur only occurs in the argument mode.
        This story is addressing points (anti-war) and counterpoints (pro-war patriotism). However each have no relevance to the other. Where is the problem?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
        X