Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this an offensive forward, or a really funny parody of an offensive forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She took offense (at a flag pin) and spoke her mind, others took offense (at what she said) and spoke their mind.

I don't see a problem.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

She took offense (at a flag pin) and spoke her mind, others took offense (at what she said) and spoke their mind.
      he, he. Make holydays in the UK, meet some people, start to talk about politics. May be an annoying expirience meeting people free to talk.

Comment

Oh, it can be very annoying.

Comment

"Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that you could stand here."

What does this have anything to do with bombing innocent civilians in Iraq? Doesn't this old man know anything about logical fallacies?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What does a flag pin have to do with 'bombing innocent civilians in Iraq'?

Comment

I think connorkimbro hits the nail.

The story flows too nicely, and goes too well to the point for being real. It may have been inspired by a true story though.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                What does a flag pin have to do with 'bombing innocent civilians in Iraq'?
                Very true, all the actions/points in the story are non sequitur.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

bull****, this isn't based on a true story.. an Iraqi women in an Afghan Burkha? hah dude don't make me laugh.. Iraqi women don't wear Burkhas as far as I know..
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Traj :

It is possible an Arabic woman has held an antiamerican speech at a store, and a guy in the queue answered with a pro-american speech that has pleased the others.

From this likely story, the author could have made up nearly everything in order to bring his point.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Trajan: it may have been a veil.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

If it's a made-up story, it's a pretty lame made-up story. For one thing, considering our conditioning for "Woman in burkha -> brave oppressed survivor", the woman doesn't make as good an opponent for our brave patriot as, for instance, an turban-headed, bearded Muslim male of the age 20-34 would. Also, as other posters have said, the story's full of non-sequiturs - flag lapel pin means the cashier is bombing Iraq? Wha? Hundreds of thousands dying for freedom means an Iraqi woman can't have an opinion about her countrymen being bombed? Come again here? And am I the only one here who is kind of creeped about the gentleman who just happens to go around putting his hands around muscular fresh men of the age 20-34?

Incidentally, what says the Iraqi woman didn't speak out while she was in Iraq? I mean, it's entirely possible that's exactly why she had to leave.

And I don't think it's a parody. If it is, it's a pretty crap parody. It's not that offensive, either - it's just stupid.
                        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

don't you guys understand?

freedom of speech is only allowed if you have a liberal or anti-war viewpoint.

Those people were out of line opening their mouths like that.

Minorities should be protected from criticism at all times.

Comment

Gee, a heart-warming story about how people try and shut people they disagree with up. No one every debates anymore. No one every says, I disagree with you, but I'll defend your right to say it. No, it's our way or the highway.

The right has become more and more intollerant over the last two decades. You people are begining to scare me.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Oh, and women from Iraq don't wear burkas.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

wtf is a burka?
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X