What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Q Cubed
    ag, the fact that i have to press a keyboard key and then click--using two hands-- is a negative aspect of it when instead all i have to do is use a different finger on the one hand that is controlling the mouse.

multibutton mice are one thing i find far superior about non-ppc systems. at least you can buy one of those and put it on a mac.
    As I said, you don't have to control click. Most of that can be avoided by judicious use of the interface, or you can click and hold and it does the same thing.

As far as I know most multibutton mice are plug and play on OS X. The only reason I'd consider getting one is for a scroll wheel and browser navigation buttons.

*edit* Actually the only thing that would compel me to buy a PC is Lo-mac, if it turns out to be as good as it looks.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggernaut
      Mac has way superior fonts.
      Yeah, you should try writing in Classical Greek on Windows = or worse, trying to read it.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't have any user-problems with Windows. Again, I'll use your quote Agathon:
        If you learn how to use the system
        Agathon, be honest. In order to do anything with a Mac, you need a hand on the keyboard and a hand on the mouse.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Writing in Japanese on a Mac is far easier as well. In most programs, Japanese support is available right from the get go. The only program I've had so far that makes you jump through hoops to enable Japanese text support is Microsoft Office. Imagine that.

BTW, Office is also the program that installed some spyware on my Mac that has horribly slowed down the startup procedure. Thanks, MS.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Why would you ever want to use a computer with only one hand???

Besides, I'm using a three button mouse on my mac right now.
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Because Japanese language support is a deal-breaker when I shop for PC's...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                Why would you ever want to use a computer with only one hand???

Besides, I'm using a three button mouse on my mac right now.
                Hello??? When I'm watching pr0n... I need a free hand.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Agathon, be honest. In order to do anything with a Mac, you need a hand on the keyboard and a hand on the mouse.

Bull****. You can do almost everything with the mouse, as Ag said. The only reason to use key commands is that they are quicker.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    I don't have any user-problems with Windows. Again, I'll use your quote Agathon:
                    That's fair enough. In a large part it comes down to what you are used to. I used to be a Windows user (I still think 3.1 was pretty good) but I got sick of the crashes and the other annoyances. The folks at work gave me a Power PC G3 and I found I worked a lot better on it.

I don't. I rarely use the keyboard. About the most I ever use is holding down the "Apple" key and clicking for a couple of things. But I either have the interface configured so that I don't need to or I click and hold.

About the only place where the one button mouse can be a problem is web browsing.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sorry, Drake, those half-second and second delays add up. If you're on the computer every day for a year doing something, seconds add up to lost days and lost productivity. I know I'll never convince you Mac-fanboys, but I've used both systems a lot and PC's are simply better. Sorry.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        This is actually worse since it takes up more space than it needs to. The toolbar pertains to the selected window. It is easy to see and use. That is unless you use two mice at once - but who does that?
                        Nonsense, I can click the "File" menu for another window. On the Mac, I'd need to click on the window, move the mouse up to the top corner of the screen, select file. That's not intuitive (attach the controls to the window they control!), and it's not as functional. It's just what Mac users are used to, but if you talk to any GUI design experts they'll tell you it's a very bad idea, psychologically speaking.

Windows is a mess, there's cr@p everywhere and that stupid registry causes untold problems, or so my Windows using friends tell me. I'd rather die than go back to it.
                        Well, suit yourself, but Windows XP > OS X. The Registry certainly does not cause "untold problems", your friends either don't know what they're talking about, or you don't, or both.

The processor speed is about the only decent thing PC's have going for them, and that's largely Motorola's fault for messing about. It's a temporary problem.
                        The processor speed is the only thing the PCs have going for them? How about RAM? The Mac is about 3 years behind the PC in the RAM department.

System bus design -- also about 3 years behind the PC.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          Because Japanese language support is a deal-breaker when I shop for PC's...
                          Actually the language support is really good if you are like me and want to browse (and type) in different languages.

I use the Thesaurus Linguae Graeci a lot and I also read a bit of German (on old systems it doesn't render all the letters properly)

Take the example of my brother - he speaks half a dozen languages fluently and about another half a dozen tolerably well - he is the sort of guy who wants hyper language support.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

You Mac-guys know you are ****ed when both Asher and I agree on something.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Nonsense, I can click the "File" menu for another window. On the Mac, I'd need to click on the window, move the mouse up to the top corner of the screen, select file. That's not intuitive (attach the controls to the window they control!), and it's not as functional. It's just what Mac users are used to, but if you talk to any GUI design experts they'll tell you it's a very bad idea, psychologically speaking.
                              There is some disagreement about this. I've seen it go both ways. I find that on the mac I don't use the toolbar very much anyway. I did use it a lot more when I used Windows, but not now.

Well, suit yourself, but Windows XP > OS X. The Registry certainly does not cause "untold problems", your friends either don't know what they're talking about, or you don't, or both.
                              I can't stand XP and I can't see any of these supposed "merits" you are talking about. It's ugly and has poor font support for what I want to do.

The processor speed is the only thing the PCs have going for them? How about RAM? The Mac is about 3 years behind the PC in the RAM department.
                              It works just fine. I played on a new PC a while ago and I couldn't detect much difference.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

You Mac-guys know you are ****ed when both Asher and I agree on something.

KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X