No announcement yet.

List of things banned by school text books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anybody explain why Huckleberry is banned from US schools ?
    It was my first take on American literature, and Huck and Tom Sawyer were popular figures among the kids when I was young (thanks to the cartoon).

Edit : I've read the article too, and it seems PC is really going over the line in the US. The different depiction of slavery in the West and in Arabia completely sucks, for example. The complete oblivion of the dinosaur's existence is shocking

Maybe the solution to this would be to dump value judgments out of these textbooks, in order to let the kids think for themselves a bit, maybe with the teacher's 'guidance'
    Last edited by Spiffor; May 4, 2003, 10:00.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
      Can anybody explain why Huckleberry is banned from US schools ?
      It's not. I read it when I was a freshman in high school.

Some states ban it, others don't (Illinois being one of those that doesn't). IIRC it's banned primarily because it contains several instances of the word "******."
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Re: List of things banned by school text books

Originally posted by Dissident
        And don't get me started on short people. I have no clue what to call them. midgets? short people? I have no clue.
        Hey! Quit making fun of us!

*cough* Vertically Challenged *cough*

I think the goal of political correctness is to confuse people - sentient primate-descended hominids - until we all can't even figure out if we're different, we're all trying to figure out whut our group name means.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

oh boy you ban a book for just that?
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

It's not. I read it when I was a freshman in high school.

Some states ban it, others don't (Illinois being one of those that doesn't). IIRC it's banned primarily because it contains several instances of the word "******."
            Besides the usual US bashing - why can they simply ban it? Isn´t somehting like this protected as "free speech"? I mean often people wonder that certain Nazi-stuff is banned in Germany, and they seem to wonder even more when they hear that nearly everybody here accepts certain limits to the freedom of speech (although sometimes those limitations are really idiotic) while I get the impression that most Americans are not willing to accept something similar.

I remember Rah replied me once that in the US you can only limit free speech if something incites violence. I just want to know how those who ban such books justify it.
            Blah

Comment

well huckleberry was banned from my high school school because it had the word ****** nearly 200 times in it.

Comment

BeBro :

I think, in this instance, Huckleberry is "banned" as pupils are not forced to read it to discover American literature. But they still can read Huckleberry if they want to.

It is an idiotic ban, but it is not the same as a limitation to free speech.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Edit: to yavoon

Yep, I understand, I could give you examples from Germany as well (eg. Hitler´s "Mein Kampf" is totally banned here, except for historical studies). I just aks because I thought that there is a general difference between the US and Germany about how far should free speech go.
                  Blah

Comment

Oh and not that I want compare Hitler to M.Twain
                    Blah

Comment

Spiff: you mean their argument goes like "banning the books at school doesn´t limit free speech, because ou can read it at home"?
                      Blah

Comment

Dissident. Why do you blame everything on liberals? It simply isn't true that this is some liberal agenda. If anything it's the workings of a few isolated dumbasses in the California school system. And this is a local thing, not a national thing. Get a clue!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BeBro :
                          Yes. IIRC, Mein Kampf is completely verboten in Germany, except with the right allowance for history students or researchers. It's not like you can buy Mein Kampf in any library.

I'd suppose you can buy Huckleberry in any library in the US

Comment

Yup. When they talk about banning books they really mean that the book isn't on the state's education curriculum, which is entirely different from e.g. disallowing the publication of a book.

Edit: Bloody X-posts, that was directed at BeBro.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Ok, now I got it And Spiff, you´re right about "Mein Kampf"...
                              Blah

Comment

Re: Re: Re: List of things banned by school text books

Originally posted by Kontiki

Actually, I think that would be quite easy, and come to think of it, quite fun. I'll have to keep that in mind for next winter.
                                You could stage a competetion to see who could create the most "fun" breasts on their snow person!

Personally I think that most of this person's complaints are bogus. I've never heard anything about banning the mention of Mt. Rushmore, or protraying amerinds in rural settings, or referring to the founding fathers as anything else. Some people just need to make up something to be angry about in order to mask their personal failings or to conceal the unacceptable problems that are the true source of their distress. If I had been the talk show host I would have remarked something along the lines of "Why don't you just come out of the closet and be done with it?"
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X