Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Genetic Engineering could 'eliminate' homosexuality...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Genetic Engineering could 'eliminate' homosexuality...

Spin-off thread

Would you be in favour of Genetic Engineering being used to 'eliminate' homosexuality and other 'non-heterosexual' traits in fetuses?

Imagine that it would occur early in the development of the fetus...it could be 'checked' for genetic traits that lead to non-heterosexuality, and have these removed...if it were cheap, 100% safe, and had no other known side effects, would you favour it?
    Yes, I would make use of this, but each individual's parents should have the choice to use it or not
    16.67%
    Yes, mandatory on a national scale
    16.67%
    No, I wouldn't make use of this, but others should have the choice available
    33.33%
    No, it should be illegal to do so
    22.22%
    I would like Genetically Engineered Homosexual Banans
    11.11%
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Re: If Genetic Engineering could 'eliminate' homosexuality...

Originally posted by orange
    Spin-off thread

Would you be in favour of Genetic Engineering being used to 'eliminate' homosexuality and other 'non-heterosexual' traits in fetuses?

Imagine that it would occur early in the development of the fetus...it could be 'checked' for genetic traits that lead to non-heterosexuality, and have these removed...if it were cheap, 100% safe, and had no other known side effects, would you favour it?
    Just think how great the world would be if everyone were bi-sexual
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Why would we want to eliminate heterosexuality?

Look at the poll question.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

whoops!

a little help?
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Genetic engineer couldn't eliminate homosexuality since homosexuality isn't caused by genitics. Atleast that's what most of the experts say...
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Genetic engineer couldn't eliminate homosexuality since homosexuality isn't caused by genitics. Atleast that's what most of the experts say...
            Yup, I also share the views of experts, so the question serves only hypothetical (and therefore ethical, not practical) purpose.

In other words, IF
            Imagine that it would occur early in the development of the fetus...it could be 'checked' for genetic traits that lead to non-heterosexuality, and have these removed...if it were cheap, 100% safe, and had no other known side effects
            THEN
            Would you favour it?

I voted for:
            No, I wouldn't make use of this, but others should have the choice available

Comment

Medication for homosexuality is said to be on the way within the next 20 years. All a matter of whether or not the individual wishes to take it, though

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                Why would we want to eliminate heterosexuality?

Look at the poll question.

ACK!
                obviously a slip of the freudian persuasion.

the problem with this poll is you're basically

1. assuming homosexuality is 100% genetic
                2. homosexuality is a genetic "defect"

but hell, i'd support eugenics for far worse purposes

also, this couldn't be world-wide, unless u're somehow doing "real-time" genetic manipulation, which i dont think we can do just yet.

in all honesty, if i was having a baby genetically engineered in the first place, i'd probably ask them to rule out homosexuality. thats just personal opinion though.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                  Medication for homosexuality is said to be on the way within the next 20 years. All a matter of whether or not the individual wishes to take it, though
                  For some reason I doubt the validity of this.

Homosexuality has been around since the first civilizations.. yet there is going to be "medication"? Wake up zylka, homosexuality is not an illness and you cannot "cure" it.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I heard that there is a gene for homosexuality....
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

even if it wasn't an illness it doesn't mean medication wouldn't have an impact on it fez.

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon
                        even if it wasn't an illness it doesn't mean medication wouldn't have an impact on it fez.
                        Well even if there is any, I wouldn't take it. I wanna be myself.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Bacterial disease, mental illness, etc have been around since the first civilizations as well. Not all afflictions are seen as that, so it's the individual who decides whether or not downing the pill is a "cure"

You've decided it isn't, you won't take it a bedtime. Fair enough

Comment

Mandatory on a national scale.
                            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                              Bacterial disease, mental illness, etc have been around since the first civilizations as well. Not all afflictions are seen as that, so it's the individual who decides whether or not downing the pill is a "cure"

You've decided it isn't, you won't take it a bedtime. Fair enough
                              But homosexuality is not a mental illness or disease.

I am this way.. not some pill is gonna screw up my brain...

Lazerus.. why?

Comment

Working...
                              X