Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drunk Driving...

Originally posted by Albert Speer
    3000 died in the world trade center and american foreign and domestic policy changed drastically as a result.

17,000 americans die each year due to drunk driving and nothing is done. what can be done?

thanks
    In a way something already has been done. In the late 1960s, when I was coming of age the penalties for drunk driving were pretty light. People often got away with warnings, even after having an accident caused by DUI. Also the legal drinking age was lowered to 18 in most states in the late 1960s. The death rate attributable to alcohol sky rocketed. Society got smart and re-increased the legal drinking age and instituted much stiffer penalties for DUI. Today you're not going to get away with a mere hand-slapping if you're caught.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

As I recall DD is way lower then it was in say 1980.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        I have decided I'm going to drive drunk right now just to piss Speer off.

"I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          considering how often people here talk about going to 'pubs', i bet plenty of you have nearly killed people in your drunken stupors... use your intoxicated brain and don't drive!
          We in the UK design our settlements so that things are in walkable distance. Yes, we walk! And use what is called "public transportation". I live quite comfortably not being able to drive at all. A good stagger home clears the head too.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

We in the UK design our settlements so that things are in walkable distance. Yes, we walk! And use what is called "public transportation". I live quite comfortably not being able to drive at all. A good stagger home clears the head too.
            Unfortunately, that's not the case here. Public transportation is almost nil, and with urban sprawl, you're forced to drive everywhere outside of the city.

There's been crackdowns (lowering the breath limit and
            very stiff penalties even for a first offense. But, it's done little to reduce DD in the absence of public transportation and sane urban planning.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I know DD. Used to live in suburban New Jersey and semi-rural Ontario.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

And one USED TO be able to drive while drinking a beer.
                Illegal to be drunk, but the potential was certainly greater.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You're kidding me sloww, right? Used to be able to drive while actively consuming an intoxicating substance? Can I also pilot a plane while doing lines of coke?
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Maybe.
                    It's not like there's not been a case of drunken pilot.
                    Probably cokers, too.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

When I was growing up in southern California it was very popular for those students who weren't old enough to drink to go down to Mexico and get sloshed. The Mexicans did just about everything they could to increase the flow of yankee green backs including building drive through liquor stores and a couple of 50's style drive in dinners (complete with cute girls on roller skates) which would serve you beer in your car.

Not that I EVER went down there when I was young.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If I'm going to drink, I never drive.

I've been absolutely plastered before (well who hasn't eh?) and missed my bus home (it was about midnight) and so walked the 10 miles home. Must have taken me about 5 hrs because I remember the sun was just coming up. It was around about the time I got home that I had sobered up enough to remember what a cab was.

When I woke up that afternoon I wondered why my legs hurt more than my head.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Words of Wisdom

"Yeah, I know, some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people 'the cops.' But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school!" - Dave Attell
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X