No announcement yet.

And so it begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrels in my opinion are cute little things.. but this one was vicious..
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
      Very, very, very, very close call indeed.

He probably played that game enough... because if you were abled to see his snout, he was just teasing you. If he was serious about eating you, you wouldn't be posting today.
      Yes, he was well acquainted with that game. He had been a problem around the area for a week or so, coming around this campground nearby at about supper time and scaring people away from their food. We tried everything to keep from him getting our supplies, but he always managed to find a way to get it. Incredibly intelligent.

One guy had the idea of putting his supplies on the top of this outhouse that had a sharply angled roof, because of the all the snow in winter, with the front being maybe 10-12 feet off the ground and the back maybe 5 or 6. I watched the bear sit there for awhile, pondering the problem, then he pulled himself on to the back, gripped the edge with his teeth, and used his paws to pull himself around and up until he got high enough to swat the food down. I was truly impressed!

PS I found out later that the bear had been destroyed. The policy is that they take problem bears out to the back country far from humans and release them. If they manage to find their way back the third time, they're shot.

Comment

Bears are smarter than we make them out to be... that is highly impressive.. I didn't know bears were that smart.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
          Bears are smarter than we make them out to be... that is highly impressive.. I didn't know bears were that smart.
          Either did I. I've had a great deal of respect for them ever since. Plus the fact that they're a hell of alot bigger than I am, with very sharp claws and teeth.

Oh yeah, and they can climb trees very well, at least the Black Bear

PS, One thing I found impressive was that at several points, the bear was spporting his entire weight with only his teeth, and he had to have weighed at least 300-400 pounds. Those are strong jaws!
          Last edited by Willem; April 30, 2003, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
            Certainly not these Bears!!!

DA BEARS!
            Attached Files
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Either did I. I've had a great deal of respect for them ever since. Plus the fact that they're a hell of alot bigger than I am, with very sharp claws and teeth.

Oh yeah, and they can climb trees very well, at least the Black Bear

PS, One thing I found impressive was that at several points, the bear was spporting his entire weight with only his teeth, and he had to have weighed at least 300-400 pounds. Those are strong jaws!

*makes note to stay clear from any forest where there are bears*

Comment

Originally posted by Fez

*makes note to stay clear from any forest where there are bears*
                Usually they're not a problem. Black Bears have fairly sensitive hearing, and things are usually very quiet in the forest, so making lots of noise, like yelling and banging pots and pans together will scare them off. But there's always the odd one where that tactic doesn't work very well, like the one I encountered. And mothers with their cubs should always be given a wide berth.

PS If you have to outrun a bear, go downhill. Their front legs are much shorter than their back so they'll tend to tumble. Other than that, you're pretty much toast.

Comment

Working...
                X