Bush Asks for Action on HIV/AIDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Berzerker
    Bebro and Fez, do you guys care at all about what you type?
    Yes I do. I am trying to make a point to Floyd.

David, you aren't worth responding to. Get something reasonable.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Yes I do. I am trying to make a point to Floyd.
      Try harder.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
        I'm actually very generous and free with my money. I buy stuff for people all the time. My problem comes when someone says I HAVE to. If I told you that you HAD to help pay for my liver transplant, which I needed because *I* had a drinking problem for 30 years, wouldn't you object?
        No, because you underestimate the enjoyment you bring into my life.

I live in a country with public healthcare. I think everyone has a right to healthcare, I think helping other countries out to fight/treat HIV/AIDS is a good thing, and I think that helping people kick alcoholism is also worth some public money.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Try harder.
          I respectfully disagree with your points about saying that this funding is improperly allocated. I believe $15 billion is an adequate and fiscally proper amount to send.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Fez, you insulted him first with that "nuke em" nonsense.

Comment

Re: Bush Asks for Action on HIV/AIDS

I fully agree. If people wouldn't have sex with literally everyone, then AIDs would not be such a big problem. You can argue all you want about which method of preventing AIDs is more effective - condoms, pills, etc., - but I can argue that abstinence is the MOST effective at preventing sexually transmitted AIDs.
              You can indeed argue in that way, but it is totally irrelevant since people usually have sex with eachother and it is their decision in what quantities. There is no way to hinder millions of them (since this is about aid for several countries), except with repression (and even then it would probably be difficult to do) - but (fortunately) you did not seem to like my consequent proposal in that direction.

So the following:

Stop having casual sex = stop getting AIDs. By and large, I would think this is true.
              ...is as breathtaking as saying "Hey, don´t fly! That will reduce the number of airplane crashs to zero!!"
              Blah

Comment

Fez, you insulted him first with that "nuke em" nonsense.
                I am just using his logic.

Comment

Fez -
                  I respectfully disagree with your points about saying that this funding is improperly allocated. I believe $15 billion is an adequate and fiscally proper amount to send.
                  Which won't come close to solving the problem, therefore, according to the "logic" you applied to David, means you want to murder them too.

Comment

Fez -

Which won't come close to solving the problem, therefore, according to the "logic" you applied to David, means you want to murder them too.
                    Well it is a start... the first major start...

So you want nothing at all?

Do I really? No I don't.

Comment

I am just using his logic.
                      Really? So if I don't want you robbing me, that means I want to nuke my community?

Comment

I think everyone has a right to healthcare,
                        Really? So you believe healthcare is a natural right, or, more likely based upon your politics, a socially constructed right? If you believe it's a natural right, you're gonna have to try and justify it, because any credible natural rights argument centers around three rights - life, liberty, and property. You can say healthcare is part of the right to life, but you're missing the point in that one right can't conflict with another. That is, the right to life can't be at the expense of my property rights. Now, you say, isn't the reverse true? Of course it is. But this has nothing to do with that.

Death is natural. You dying does not involve me in any way. I didn't cause it. I might have the power to prevent your death by giving you something, but if I don't give it to you I still didn't cause your death. Therefore, you can't have a natural claim on my property to prevent your death, unless, of course, I caused your death.

Now, on the other hand, if you believe the right to healthcare is socially constructed. Then any society without public healthcare hasn't constructed that right, therefore it doesn't exist. The US doesn't have public healthcare, nor do many other nations, so why would you apply your socially constructed rights to other societies which don't want to construct such a thing?

Take your pick
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Floyd, are you for real?

I don't think you'd last a day in any field where logic was at least a tiny factor...

You sound like one of my friends when he's high.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

i agree with Floyd's conclusion, but the path he uses to get there is both illogical and sickening.

A lack of education is the real problem. It's not "backwards people" bringing this on themselves voluntarily. I would hope that you can recognize this, whether you agree with sending them 'aid' or not.
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well it is a start... the first major start...

So you want nothing at all?

Do I really? No I don't.
                              It's a meaningless "start" if people in Africa don't incorporate safegaurds like protected sex and abstinance. But wearing condoms is viewed as unmanly and promiscuity is the driving force behind the AIDS problem. And yes, I want to do nothing at all, I want Africans to be responsible. That's the only way to stem the AIDS problem. Throwing money around won't help because it won't make anyone there more responsible.

Comment

I agree with Floyd, for some slightly different reasons. NO ONE was "afflicted" with AIDS - they got it because they did things even with the knowledge that they could easily recieve a lethal disease because of it, even with the knowledge that they had a SIGNIFICANT CHANCE of recieving a lethal disease because of it. The fact that they have AIDS is SOLELY their responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X