No announcement yet.

What is the DEAL with depleted uranium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems if you take a heavy metal that has harmful side-effects if ingested or inhaled and use it in a shell that will be propelled at incredible speeds into God-knows-what you are asking for trouble. It'll be mashed, shattered, scattered, vaporized, etc...

Anyway, anyone know exactly what munitions this material is used for? Is it only tank and artillery shells or also large caliber machine guns and such.

Arrian, believe me I'm sceptical of the 600% cancer increase figure myself, but I am a lefty afterall so I must consider it.

Comment

gsmoove: DU is used in tank shells, large calibre machine guns, and some armor.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

radioactive strawberries ...

but here is an useful link

A second, potentially more serious hazard is created when a DU round hits its target. As much as 70 percent of the projectile can burn up on impact, creating a firestorm of ceramic DU oxide particles. The residue of this firestorm is an extremely fine ceramic uranium dust that can be spread by the wind, inhaled and absorbed into the human body and absorbed by plants and animals, becoming part of the food chain.

Once lodged in the soil, the munitions can pollute the environment and create up to a hundredfold increase in uranium levels in ground water, according to the U.N. Environmental Program.

Studies show it can remain in human organs for years.

The U.S. Army acknowledges the hazards in a training manual, in which it requires that anyone who comes within 25 meters of any DU-contaminated equipment or terrain wear respiratory and skin protection, and states that "contamination will make food and water unsafe for consumption."
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by gsmoove23
          It seems if you take a heavy metal that has harmful side-effects if ingested or inhaled and use it in a shell that will be propelled at incredible speeds into God-knows-what you are asking for trouble. It'll be mashed, shattered, scattered, vaporized, etc...

Anyway, anyone know exactly what munitions this material is used for? Is it only tank and artillery shells or also large caliber machine guns and such.

Arrian, believe me I'm sceptical of the 600% cancer increase figure myself, but I am a lefty afterall so I must consider it.
          The Phalanx anti-missile gatling guns use it.

Comment

It turns into toxic dust when it hits the target, and this dust could spread by the wind all over the place for years to come. Basically, I would call it a "dirty bomb". (Isn't that what you call toxic bombs made of nuclear waste?)
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre
              It turns into toxic dust when it hits the target, and this dust could spread by the wind all over the place for years to come. Basically, I would call it a "dirty bomb". (Isn't that what you call toxic bombs made of nuclear waste?)
              That's what we call it when other people do the same thing.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How is the benefit worth the risk? Unless these shells offer an incredible tactical difference why would we be willing to use them? Even if they do I somehow doubt the war would have went any differently if we used conventional ammunition.

Comment

How is the benefit worth the risk? Unless these shells offer an incredible tactical difference why would we be willing to use them? Even if they do I somehow doubt the war would have went any differently if we used conventional ammunition.
                  Study basic physics. Look at the density of uranium. Do some calculations of momentum/kinetic energy. You could also look at some of the actual testing.

Your answer is actually quite revealing. If I boil it down, it says, "I can't figure out how to compare efficacy, but I'm going to make pronoucements anyway."
                  Last edited by TCO; April 29, 2003, 19:07.

Comment

Tungusteen. Is it called that way? Tungusteen is slightly less effective in manufacturing, but offers almost simillar capebilities. Current tank ammo looks like 2 cm rod with predeffined break points. It has still somewhat worse armor penetreation than bow's arrow. Normalised by power of projectile of course.

There is a lot of DU, or was. So companies needed to find some use for DU. There is some reaction with steel, and easier manufacture than tungusteen. US corporations started to use DU.
                    BTW I think use of DU in MMG is somewhat stupid.

Comment

That's just the point -- they do offer an incredible tactical difference.

I think that's one reason so many governments are screaming about our use of them.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by GP

The Phalanx anti-missile gatling guns use it.
                        Yes they do, having worked on PHALANX for 5 years, loading and unloading the weapon at various times, I have had no adverse effects.

Except, maybe, my third eye.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything. For instance, do you think that conventional ammo would have faced much difficulty in disabling Iraqi armor quickly and efficiently. I doubt it. This is the disproportionate use of a weapon with potentially dangerous side-effects, no one can say for sure what the side-effects are because no one has taken the time to seriously study the subject.

I wouldn't have any particular problems with its use if American tanks were facing up against weapons systems that offered them a significant challenge where you might be able to say use of DU will save x amount of soldiers but I do not think thats the case here. If you do please take the time to explain how.

Comment

GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything
                            He rarely does.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Did you see the US and UK tanks that were shot at by Irqi armed vehicles and heavy machineguns? A lot of them shurgged it off, only leading to denting of the outer shell of the tanks.

Compare that with a DU shell hitting one of the T-55s...

Comment

GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything. For instance, do you think that conventional ammo would have faced much difficulty in disabling Iraqi armor quickly and efficiently. I doubt it. This is the disproportionate use of a weapon with potentially dangerous side-effects, no one can say for sure what the side-effects are because no one has taken the time to seriously study the subject.

I wouldn't have any particular problems with its use if American tanks were facing up against weapons systems that offered them a significant challenge where you might be able to say use of DU will save x amount of soldiers but I do not think thats the case here. If you do please take the time to explain how.
                                You never, ever, go into a battle with less than the best you can field. Anything less and you are doing your soldiers an injustice.

You can't say that other shells are going to work as well, prove that, and then we can discuss using DU.

DU was developed to penetrate modern armor, which the Iraqi's had. If normal rounds would have penetrated modern armor, DU wouldn't have been developed.

ACK!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X