No announcement yet.

What is the DEAL with depleted uranium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the DEAL with depleted uranium?

Could someone tell me the reasons we use depleted uranium shells/bullets in our military? Is it simply because this is a heavy metal? are there other reasons? How radioactive is the stuff, does the word 'depleted' mean it is no longer dangerous? Do the advantages it offers outweigh the obvious problems? By using it in a military action aren't we causing major problems for local inhabitants for years to come?

Ever since I first heard about that Navy firing range in Puerto Rico I have been mystified by the fact that our military feels it is appropriate to be flinging bits of radioactive metal around willy-nilly. Whats even more amazing to me is that every time I hear a news report that mentions it they never find it necessary to explain what depleted uranium is and why we use it.

Curious, armchair generals please respond.

quick google search yielded this web site

Not harmful, good armor piercing due to high density.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

yup. it's for bustin up heavy tank hulls.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

It's a very dense and hard metal. It's very good for piercing armor. Also, it spawls when it hits a target. Spawling is quite devastating to the occupants of a vehicle. The Abrams tanks use a depleted uranium round that don't contain an explosive shell. The sheer kinetic energy obliterates its target.

It's radioactivity is depleted. As for being harmless? Well, I wouldn't want to have some depleted uranium around my sack for any amount of time. But feel free if you think it is harmless.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

if you look into it's radiation effects, is is quite harmless unless you are breathing it in or something

than it is really bad

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

DU is highly toxic. This is main problem with it, not the radioactivity.

Comment

I think extensive testing would have to be done in order to be sure of the harmful effects (or lack thereof) of DU. The Army is unlikely to step up and do those tests. It is in their interest not to. It's apparently a very effective material to use for armor-piercing shells.

The problem with exposure to something like DU is that it's probably tough to tell what is due to the DU exposure and what could be due to growing up next to a chemical plant, or smoking a pack a day, or some other exposure to something else entirely.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yeah, Sava, I work with nasty chemicals, elements, and compounds all day, so my definition of harmless is probably not the best definition to go on.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

@ Japher.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don't know much about toxicity

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It seems the jury is out on whether it is harmless. Japher, the site you gave me has a number of links, some that aren't too sure that DU is safe, others think it is hazardous. Of course, there is a Rand corp. study saying its completely safe but this also came from your site http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/mettoc.htm

I can't help but think of the oft quoted statistic of cancer rates rising 600% in Iraq after the Gulf War.

Comment

Just like the oft-quoted figure of 500,000 iraqi children killed by the evil Americans?

Not that I'd trust the Rand study either.

-Arrian

Comment

It is an alpha emitter. So if just set it next to your nutsack it won't do much. but if you breath it, it will lodge in your lungs and stay there for long periods of time (can't remember if it is months or forever). If you drink it, it passes from your body quickly, but it does have some chemical toxicity (like lead).

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            Just like the oft-quoted figure of 500,000 iraqi children killed by the evil Americans?

Not that I'd trust the Rand study either.

-Arrian
                            500,000+ people have died in Iraq since GW1 because of various reasons. That is a fact. Who is responsible? Well that's a different story.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                              It is an alpha emitter. So if just set it next to your nutsack it won't do much. but if you breath it, it will lodge in your lungs and stay there for long periods of time (can't remember if it is months or forever). If you drink it, it passes from your body quickly, but it does have some chemical toxicity (like lead).
                              Again, I'll take your word for it. But I'm not about to let that **** near my boys.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X