Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm damn glad the protestors were ignored...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm damn glad the protestors were ignored...

Why do some people complain that the protestors were ignored by the president? of course they were ignored! they should have been ignored!

72% of americans were in favour of the war... of the remaining 28%, you can assume that probably most of them were undecided or didn't give a damn either way... my guess is less than 10% were actually against the war and most of them only because they were spiteful at Bush.

So this here goes to the US government for not giving into minoritarian politics

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

If 1% of the population was against the government, the President should have listen to them.
    Democracy is about the "government of the mayority" but is also about hearing every one in the nation, even a tiny minority.
    >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Chilean President:

If the tiny minority can not form into a size-able minority by convincing others to its cause it is worthless... any nut can come up with something... some homeless person starts muttering about how the aliens from pluto are going to attack us... should the president listen and debate a pre-emptive strike on pluto?

thanks
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I didn't meant to say that the President should do what they say, I'm saying that any point of view is valid and in a democratic society every group or person shall be heard.

Maybe I got it wrong, my girlfriend just say to me that maybe in the US "listen" to someone is "do what they say".. is that correct? Well if it is, you are right, the President shouldn't.

Comment

Listen generally takes on that meaning. For example, if you listen to your parents, it is assumed that you're going to do what they tell you, not just say, "Yeah, mom, sure." I suppose what you mean to say would be best expressed as "give them a fair hearing," but that's a pretty big mouthful of words.

Having tried and failed to learn modern languages myself, I would like to apologize to any non-native English speakers. It's too hard for even for most people born into the language to speak properly, and I'd hate to have to wade through all the idioms as a foreigner.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

well Bush obviously knew there were protestors... he even responded to them a little bit... so he did listen... i just meant i was glad the US gov't didnt take them seriously

Comment

whatever it is doesn't change the fact that the war war wrong.
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Having just looked at what you said the first time, it's pretty clear that you meant, "give a fair hearing," instead of "do what they say." What you said is correct the first time. But your girlfriend is right that listen often means, "do what they say."
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Re: I'm damn glad the protestors were ignored...

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                  Why do some people complain that the protestors were ignored by the president? of course they were ignored! they should have been ignored!

72% of americans were in favour of the war... of the remaining 28%, you can assume that probably most of them were undecided or didn't give a damn either way... my guess is less than 10% were actually against the war and most of them only because they were spiteful at Bush.

So this here goes to the US government for not giving into minoritarian politics

thanks
                  72 percent of Americans were in favour the war.

Before i begin the "Chop down that number!" game, I want to say that I'm not going to bring up the point that the vast majority of the world was and still is against the war and that it probably goes up to at least 500,000,000 if not more. I'm not going to bring that up cause I'm just that nice.

Anyway, 72 percent of Americans were in favour of the war. Remember, 49.9 percent of Americans voted for bush, so of course they'd be for the war......That leaves 22.1 percent. Now, You have to consider that a lot of Americans believe every word the government says (no matter what government). I'd say thats about 10 percent of the remaining. That leaves 12.1 percent.
                  Then thre are those who claim they are democrats but swear by the republicans. I'd say thats about 2 percent. That leaves 10.1 percent.
                  Now, a LOT of Americans are caught up in the hyperpatriotism since 9-11. I'd say that accounts for about 10 percent.

So its reasonably safe to assume that only .1 percent of the American population is really for war for any intellectually honest reason.

thanks.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Listen generally takes on that meaning. For example, if you listen to your parents, it is assumed that you're going to do what they tell you, not just say, "Yeah, mom, sure." I suppose what you mean to say would be best expressed as "give them a fair hearing," but that's a pretty big mouthful of words.

Having tried and failed to learn modern languages myself, I would like to apologize to any non-native English speakers. It's too hard for even for most people born into the language to speak properly, and I'd hate to have to wade through all the idioms as a foreigner.
                    Thanks! Well in spanish listen is just that: "sure a listened, but.." and other thing is "sure I'm going to do it".

Anyway I'm not happy that he didn't listen them, but again he is not my president so if the mayority suppot him I think he was right...

EDIT: My apologies Albert for almost mixed up your thread with my lack of english language knowledge

Comment

50% of Americans also believe Saddam Hussein was personally responsible for the attacks on 9/11. What does that tell you about the 72% who support war?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Having just looked at what you said the first time, it's pretty clear that you meant, "give a fair hearing," instead of "do what they say." What you said is correct the first time. But your girlfriend is right that listen often means, "do what they say."
                        Her "I know everything and you not" smile has just being erased
                        thanks again

Comment

Orange:

if Gore was president you wouldnt be saying that... people forget Clinton sent troops to a whole lot of places

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                            50% of Americans also believe Saddam Hussein was personally responsible for the attacks on 9/11.
                            I somehow still cannot believe this figure. Where on earth did they find this idea, with all the denial that has been brought ?
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                              Orange:

if Gore was president you wouldnt be saying that... people forget Clinton sent troops to a whole lot of places
                              untrue. I'd be against the war if Gore was running the show too.

and I was against Clinton's use of force as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X