Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali Baba

FURY AS US STRIPS THIEVES Apr 26 2003

AMERICA was at the centre of a new human rights row last night after four alleged Iraqi thieves were paraded naked in a Baghdad park by US troops.

The degraded prisoners had the words "Ali Baba, Haram'' - "Thief, Unclean" - scrawled in Arabic on their chests.

The humiliating spectacle of young men running to hide their shame was captured by a photographer for Norway's Dagbladet newspaper, which quoted a US officer as saying the deterrent was effective.

Last night Amnesty International in London criticised the inhumane treatment and promised to raise the matter urgently with the United Nations next week.

Director Kate Allen said: "If these pictures are accurate, this is an appalling way to treat prisoners. Such degrading treatment is a clear violation of the responsibilities of the occupying powers.

"Whatever the reason, these men must at all times be treated humanely. The US authorities must investigate this incident and publicly release their findings."

The four victims had their clothes burned before being publicly humiliated in the Zawra Park which is said be plagued by thieves trying to reach US weapons stores.

The Americans claim that over the last few days several hundred Iraqis have tried to get into the park and US troop patrols have been stepped up around the clock.

Group Commander Eric Canaday, of 10th Engineer Corps, is quoted in Dagbladet saying: "I think our job is to keep people out of the park to prevent theft of weapons.

"We have started doing several things and I don't think this is too much.''

Lt Canaday added: "We have talked with the Iraqi inhabitants. Some of them gave us the idea so we took the clothes and burned them before we pushed them out with thief written on their chest. It was quite successful.''

The US soldiers were seen chasing the Iraqi men shouting "Ali Baba, Ali Baba". All four ran as fast as they could to hide their nakedness, according to onlookers.

Three of the young men got away but 20-year-old Zian Djumma came back with his head bowed down after he put on grey shorts which he found in a looted house.

He told Dagbladet: "This was terrible. Now I only want to go home and find a hand grenade and throw it at the soldiers. Not only against those who did it to us but at everybody. I hate the Americans for this.''

Djumma said the four friends had gone into the park through an open gate looking for a missing 15-year-old boy.

But the Americans said the four were carrying a bag with spare parts for weapons.

The Geneva Convention states: "Protected persons are entitled to respect.

"They shall at all times be humanely treated, and shall be protected against insults."

Get the latest news, sport, celebrity gossip, TV, politics and lifestyle from The Mirror. Big stories with a big heart, always with you in mind.

Will this make the American troops more popular?
    CSPA

This constant reminder of the responsibilities of "occupying powers" is getting really old really fast.

Yes! Absolutely!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes! Absolutely!
      I think so too. I mean they're in touch with the local customs and all:
      We have talked with the Iraqi inhabitants. Some of them gave us the idea so we took the clothes and burned them before we pushed them out with thief written on their chest. It was quite successful.''
      CSPA

Comment

Well our treatment of the detainees IS humane by comparison to what Saddam's men routinely did. Besides, Islamic law would have demanded that we cut off their right hands.

Oh, well. The longer we stay, the worse it is going to get.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

"at least we're more humane than saddam" isn't a very good argument...

hey, maybe next time they should force them to eat pork chops
          CSPA

Comment

Re: Ali Baba

Originally posted by Gangerolf

Certainly amongst Iraqi women!
            Blah

Comment

Ostracization and humiliation are some of the best forms of punishement there are. Bring back the stockades!
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Probably a publicity stunt by the american forces in an attempt to win the minds and hearts of the Iraqi people. "Look at us, we can keep law and order too!". I don't think they'll make this into the normal way of dealing with criminals.

Comment

What happens if they catch female looters?
                  Last edited by chequita guevara; April 26, 2003, 14:28.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Ostracization and humiliation are some of the best forms of punishement there are. Bring back the stockades!
                    Well said Commie.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Isn't it time for MarkG the prude to come and close this thread, and ban che for a month or so?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

What????

Comment

It's my beef with Markos' closure of the babe thread.

****ing incredible.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hmmm, I think I see a penis.....
                            In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                            In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I think this is better than shooting them. The occupation army is responsible for the law and order in the occupied territory and the looters must get some kind of punishment.

Reminds me of the punishment the eco-terrorists got in Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six" (They were stripped naked and left to survive on their own in the jungle).
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X