X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Grave Problem

Government Acts
    The Issue
    As cemetaries across Varaag are beginning to reach their full capacities, citizens are demanding that the government step in to rectify the situation before the bodies start to pile up.

The Debate
    "The expansion of cemetaries must end if the remaining government land is to benefit the economy," says the Minister of Death, Thomas McGuffin. "What I propose is that we declare all graves over, say, ten years old, as vacant. And then dump a new corpse in it. Hey, nobody objects to sharing a university dormitory with another person, why should they object to sharing their grave?"
    [Accept]

"Burial plots are so expensive these days, few people are opting for them anyway," says Retirement Home owner, Billy-Bob Jefferson. "Let's just go for that final push and make cremation compulsory. Some people may not be happy with it, but when you get right down to it, it's only setting fire to their loved ones against their will - you must agree that that's less important than expanding suburban development."
    [Accept]

"This is horrendous," says Jazz Steele, whose partner recently passed away. "Whatever happened to choice? When my Henry died, he was promised an eternal resting place; a place where his name would stand and he would be remembered. Having it disturbed by 'newcomers' or enforcing cremation is a slur against him and the rest of Varaag's deceased citizens! If you have any compassion in your soul, then you'll acknowledge a grave as being a sacrosanct area. The dead must be allowed to rest in peace."
    [Accept]

"Burying and cremating the dead is such a waste..." says Calvin Licorish, head of the Research Department at the McRonald's chain of fast-food restaurants. "They should be recycled for the benefit of the nation! We'll pay the families a little something for their loss, then mince up the bodies and put them in our burgers! I can't see any downsides, can you? It'd save space, recompensate the grieving, and supply everyone with a tasty snack!"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.
    The Government Position
    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 4.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• Call your side

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• The Godking of Varaag would like to remind Shivtopia that it accepts thanks in the form of lusty wenches!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
          "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
          Civil Rights:
          Some Economy:
          Frightening Political Freedoms:
          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a massive, economically powerful nation, notable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 2.017 billion are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 40%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Gambling, Arms Manufacturing, and Uranium Mining industries.

Billions of varaag chips are being blown on orbital weapons development, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, graffiti artists spend lengthy periods of time in jail, and military spending is on the increase. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Varaag is ranked 3rd in the region and 1,950th in the world for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector.

Comment

• Just hit 3 Billion!

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
            "Doing what you are told is good for your health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
            Civil Rights:
            Below Average Economy:
            Frightening Political Freedoms:
            Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a massive, safe nation, renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 3.01 billion are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 47%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Information Technology industries.

Varaag's army is full of two-metre tall super-soldiers, citizens are regularly arrested in queues for 'loitering', every citizen must submit to DNA testing to be eliminated from police inquiries, and membership in the state-owned Church of Varaag is mandatory and all other faith organisations are banned. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Varaag is ranked 2nd in the region and 1,253rd in the world for Largest Gambling Industry.

Comment

• The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a massive, devout nation, renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 3.63 billion are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 51%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Uranium Mining industries.

Scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, the country has been 'going shopping' by annexing nearby nations for their resources, rumours have it that a secret police is responsible for the recent spate of missing persons, and the dead are minced up and sold to people in burger form. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Varaag is ranked 4th in the region and 1,595th in the world for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.

Comment

Working...
              X