X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug 'em All, Say Police

Government Acts
    The Issue
    The Varaag police force have come to you for permission to use phone taps to trace suspected criminals.

The Debate
    "This is a great idea," says police officer Billy Hendrikson. "We can never have too much evidence in a case, and this will be of enormous help to us at reducing crime and seeing that those who deserve punishment get justice! If we could just get those silly privacy laws repealed and some funding we could find out stuff the government wants to know too."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"This is an unacceptable intrusion into the personal lives of the population," says Sue-Ann Fellow while checking under your chair for bugs. "Just imagine all of the sensitive personal information that the police will pick up! Would you like someone listening to you calls to your mother or your lover? I think not! Laws should be passed so that the government and police can't stick their big noses where they're not wanted!"
    [Accept]
    The Government Position
    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• Mobile Maladies

Government Acts
      The Issue
      Recently, there has been increased commotion from your citizens about the possible health risks caused by using mobile phones.

The Debate
      "Have you seen these statistics?!" yells anti-mobile lobbyist Miranda Wu, gesturing towards a wiggly line on a clipboard. "Mobile phones now kill more people in this country than exploding cupboards, the ironing board, and Godzilla put together! And that's not including the number of people who die every year from car crashes caused by chit-chat while driving! These things fry your brain with microwaves while you speak! We must ban mobile phones now!"
      [Accept]

"This is utter nonsense," argues Fleur Longfellow, CEO of Amber Phones, while nonchalantly slipping a wad of varaag chips into your pocket. "Mobile phones are totally harmless - I'll have you know that not one of our privately-funded studies has found the slightest bit of evidence to the contrary! Have you ever seen anyone drop dead in the street just because they were chatting on one of our new M/A models for sale now at low, low prices? No! It's just blatant scaremongering! I implore the government to dismiss these crackpots' complaints."

"I don't believe they're harmful either," says Buffy Johnson, a teacher. "But it's obvious to everyone what a detrimental effect it has on our children! Everywhere I look, I'm seeing children as young as four tapping away at the blasted things! Do you know how many lessons I've had interrupted by the 'Crazy Tic' ringtone? Do you know how many of my pupils think 'great' is spelled with a number? Too many! Only adults should be allowed to own and use mobile phones!"
      [Accept]
      The Government Position
      The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• Soda Sales Hits New 'High'

Government Acts
        The Issue
        After waning sales, the well-established soda company 'Eckie-Ecola' has appealed to the government for the right to use powerful mind-altering drugs in their products.

The Debate
        "It'll be great," says Akira Barry, the CEO of Eckie-Ecola. "Nice 'n' happy floating feelings all in a can, and all for just one varaag chip! It's not the healthiest drink I admit, but what people want to do with their bodies is their own business. If you ban this beverage, you're only denying the citizens of their right to be exposed to the true hallucenogenic experience!"

"This can't go ahead," argues Buffy Love, a nurse at one of Varaag's hospitals. "Drugs are, and always will be, one of the greatest threats to the nation's physical and mental health! My job's hard enough as it is without having the wards overrun by patients who were stupid enough to drink the damned stuff. The distribution of drugs must be strictly controlled by the government and kept for medicinal uses."
        [Accept]

"If you ask me," says Alexei Li, from behind a cloud of smoke. "We should just let everyone have drugs for free! If the government legalised and subsidised all these 'bad' drugs and gave 'em out to everyone, all our problems would be solved! There'd be no more drug traffickers, or thugs robbing old ladies to feed their addictions! 'Course there'd be a bit of a detrimental effect healthwise and to the drug industries, but the beauty of it all is that everyone will be too doped up to care!"
        [Accept]
        The Government Position
        The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

• The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
          "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
          Civil Rights:
          Below Average Economy:
          Powerhouse Political Freedoms:
          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, safe nation, renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 580 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 61%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Uranium Mining and Information Technology.

Mysterious black helicopters menace farmers to ensure compliance with straitjacketing agricultural policies, phone taps are frequently carried out by the police, mobile phone masts are being erected all over the country, and 'Mountain Doobie' is widely regarded as the nation's favourite drink. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Get Efficient, Private Sector Tells Nature

Government Acts
            The Issue
            A group of prominent business identities has proposed privatizing Varaag's beaches.

The Debate
            "Have you been to the beach lately? It's disgusting," says company spokesperson Akira McAlpin. "There's litter, there's teenagers smoking, and there are people enjoying themselves without paying for it. Let the private sector in on this, and Varaag's beaches will be the talk of the region! And a nice little earner, too."

"Whoa, whoa, we're privatizing beaches now?" says local campaigner Buffy Chicago. "These are public spaces! All Varaag's citizens have a right to enjoy them, not just the well-off. Yes, we should improve the quality of our beaches, but handing them over to the money-grabbers is not the right way to do it. The right way to do it is to boost government spending by increasing taxes."
            [Accept]
            The Government Position

Comment

• Cancer Sufferer Demands Euthanasia Bill

Government Acts
              The Issue
              Dorothy Terwilliger lies immobilized in a hospital bed, unable to move. She has end-stage cancer, and wishes to end her struggle against death. However, laws prevent her doctors from obeying her wishes.

The Debate
              Dorothy and her family are campaigning for a "Dying with Dignity" bill, to change this situation. She implores the government to legalize euthanasia.

"I understand this is a very difficult time for these people," says freelance medical writer Prudence Hamilton. "But the solution is not to let our medical system slide down the slippery slope of killing people in pain. We must cure, not kill. This is not the right time for euthanasia."
              [Accept]

"I agree, but go further: there is never a right time for euthanasia," says Bishop Colin Wall. "The lives we lead are given to us by the grace of God, and he decides when they end. It is not for us to question God's divine purpose, no matter how odd or screwed-up it may seem."
              [Accept]
              The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                Average Economy:
                Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, safe nation, notable for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 586 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 60%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Uranium Mining and Information Technology.

Mobile phone masts are being erected all over the country, 'Mountain Doobie' is widely regarded as the nation's favourite drink, citizens must pay to enjoy Varaag's pristine beaches, and euthanasia is legal. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Much Ado About Abortion

Government Acts
                  The Issue
                  A monstrous debate between pro-life groups and pro-choice groups has erupted as a Varaag citizen launches an high-court appeal to overturn an ancient law prohibiting all abortions. Pressure groups have demanded the government step in to make a ruling.

The Debate
                  Konrad McAlpin, lawyer for the woman known only as Miss X, says, "It is Miss X's right to choose! It's her body; she can do whatever she wants with it. In the interest of women's rights, abortion MUST be legalised throughout the country!"

"I most vehemently disagree," says George W. Spirit, a pro-life activist. "I'm all for women's rights in general, but what about the child? Does it have no rights either? Abortion is totally immoral and I insist that it be outlawed except in cases of rape, or when the mother's life is in danger."
                  [Accept]

"You're not going far enough! Abortion is murder!" shouts Reverend Elizabeth Longfellow, waving a placard with a picture of a foetus on it. "God decides which babies live and which will die, not us! The government must maintain a stern anti-abortion stance to preserve the morality of Varaag!"
                  [Accept]

"Abortion has to be legal if we're going to last as a nation," says Bianca Licorish, President of the Society of Bitter Old People. "Have you ever thought that with Varaag's growing population of 586 million, we soon aren't going to be able to squeeze any more people within our borders? If we use abortion to control the population, we'll make great savings and can spend the money elsewhere. One child per family should just about do it I think. Extraneous ones can be sold to other countries."
                  [Accept]
                  The Government Position

Comment

• Power To The People?

Government Acts
                    The Issue
                    Several underground organisations in Varaag have recently been spreading discontent throughout the populace about not being able to vote.

The Debate
                    "We demand the power to rule the country the way we want!" cries Randy Longfellow while being dragged before you in chains. "Too long have you and your dictatorial government been allowed to control our lives! The right to vote in a fair and free election is all we crave! You can take our lives, but you'll never take our souls! Elections for Varaag!"
                    [Accept]

"If you'll take my advice, we should just send these crazies down to the dungeons," murmurs Alexei Hamilton, one of your political advisors. "If we let them spread this propaganda we'll soon have a revolution on our hands! We should crack down on these groups, and ban non-governmental political organisations to keep the people from getting too frisky with their pitchforks."

"There's no need to be quite so dramatic," assures Beth Hanover, your minister of Silly Walks as he pinwheels past. "We could let them have their way a little, just to keep them happy, you know? We could give them the right to vote, but not the right to run for office. Then we could just pick out the candidates we wanted and they could choose! We've been doing this for years, we don't want some uppity new bloke trying to tell us what to do."
                    [Accept]
                    The Government Position
                    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                      Average Economy:
                      Unheard Of

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, safe nation, renowned for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 592 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 60%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Uranium Mining and Information Technology.

Citizens must pay to enjoy Varaag's pristine beaches, euthanasia is legal, abortions are routinely performed in Varaag's hospitals, and the government is cracking down on subversive groups. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Widening Buttocks Cause Movie Theater Havoc

Government Acts
                        The Issue
                        Several festively chubby people were lodged in their movie theater seats for hours, as Varaag's Fire Department worked to free them. Health organizations are now expressing concern over the problem of obesity in Varaag.

The Debate
                        "Clearly, we have to do something about the expanding obesity problem in Varaag, er, no pun intended," remarks Stephanie Clinton of the National Health Bureau. "The government should implement an extensive exercise management program and make it mandatory that all citizens participate in some kind of exercise at least once a week."

"Mandatory exercise! Get out! I don't have the time!" snorts nationally renowned TV chef Gregory Rubin. "How about banning those greasy fast food joints and drive-thrus? I mean, seriously, if you can't get out of your stupid car to walk in and get a meal, how sad is that? Ban fast food and make junk food more expensive--that way, people will have to think about whether they really want to spend ten varaag chips on a snack cake."
                        [Accept]

"I don't see why it's anyone's business but my own how I kill myself," says Beth Mistletoe, a pleasantly plump computer programmer, stuffing a chili dog down his throat. "My weight is my own business, and if I don't feel like exercising, that's my choice. Sure, it'd be healthier to lose a few pounds, but my priorities lie elsewhere. Leave us alone, and we, the citizens of Varaag, will decide what's important to us and what we want to eat."
                        [Accept]

"What about government-funded liposuction?" asks Sue-Ann O'Bannon, while contemplatively chewing a mouthful of chili dog. "If I could get the fat sucked off of these hips, that would give me the willpower to stay thin. Obesity would be a thing of the past! Just think of it! Nothing but svelte, beautiful people everywhere! Ah, bliss!"
                        [Accept]
                        The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                          Below Average Economy:
                          Unheard Of

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, safe nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 604 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 62%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Uranium Mining and Information Technology.

Euthanasia is legal, abortions are routinely performed in Varaag's hospitals, the government is cracking down on subversive groups, and citizens rise at daybreak every day for mandatory exercise. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Diving For varaag chips

Government Acts
                            The Issue
                            Divers from a local scuba club have discovered an enormous underwater gold deposit that could be worth billions of varaag chips in one of Varaag's lakes. It has also caused a huge debate over who should be allowed to plunder the goods.

The Debate
                            Hack Spirit, a cabinet member, would like the government to seize the deposit. "This is an excellent time to boost Varaag's economy and increase our foreign trade with other countries! Who cares about the people that discovered the deposit? They've done their country a great favor and should let us have the money!"

Billy McGuffin, a civil rights activist, vehemently disagrees. "The deposit was found by private citizens and it should be their choice of what to do with the gold. If the government goes around stealing what is rightfully ours, then I shudder to think I live in such a corrupt country. These people discovered the gold, it's now their time to get rich! Nevermind the fact they were diving in a lake on government property!"
                            [Accept]

"We should do what now?" Environmentalist Dave Jones exclaims. "Do you have any idea how damaging it would be to the environment to mine the gold under that lake? Think of all the aquatic life that would be disrupted or destroyed! Think of how an otherwise pristine lake view would be ruined! Forget the gold and keep those money-grubbing pigs away from nature!"
                            [Accept]
                            The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                              Below Average Economy:
                              Unheard Of

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 610 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 62%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Uranium Mining industry, followed by Arms Manufacturing and Information Technology.

Abortions are routinely performed in Varaag's hospitals, the government is cracking down on subversive groups, citizens rise at daybreak every day for mandatory exercise, and the government seizes all major gold finds. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Public Loudspeakers Shrill With Controversy

Government Acts
                                The Issue
                                A recent poll on putting up huge loudspeakers in Varaag's cities for public government broadcasts has been brought to your attention.

The Debate
                                "This idea is brilliant, and Varaag can't afford to pass it up," claims Johann Summers, your Minister of Safety. "These loudspeakers can assure the public that the government is always here to help them. The potential here, to immediately warn citizens of an emergency such as an earthquake or a stampede of tics or something, simply must be taken into account! This could save lives! And I suppose, when there isn't anything the citizens need to be told, you could always use them to broadcast patriotic messages like 'Doing what we are told is good for our health' and inform the good people which party to join and vote for with newsbriefs and such. It'll be worth it to strengthen the populace's devotion to our glorious nation!"

"I think people need to realise what this really is: brainwashing!" retorts Beth Shiomi, a wealthy marketer. "I don't want to hear all this flag-waving hogwash everytime I go out for a walk. But when it comes to emergencies, I do agree that something should be done to warn everyone: we should send out messages on mandatory minature radios that you can carry in your pocket. It could tell you things you need to know too, like what shoes to buy and such."
                                [Accept]

"To be honest, I can't see why we should put up with advertising at all," says Bill King, an anti-business protester. "All it is is some multi-billionaire or politician somewhere trying to make even more money while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet. I say we ban it. Maybe the economy will suffer a little and some people may lose jobs but that's just a minor side-effect really, especially when you consider that no longer will our children be encouraged to fill themselves with junk-food because some guy on the telly tells them it's cool!"
                                [Accept]
                                The Government Position

Comment

Working...
                                X