No announcement yet.

Important/Unimportant Game Features: Please Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think game play is more important than these particulars, but overall aesthetics are important...
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

None is mandatory.
      Animated terrain should definitely be possible to get rid of if it's in. I always find animations to be a nuisance.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Also, I hope the units aren't some ridiculously large monstrocities like in civ 4
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
          Also, I hope the units aren't some ridiculously large monstrocities like in civ 4
          Dam, who told you what we were doing

Comment

I don't like animated terrain at ALL.
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

End game movies a must, I'd like animated terrain, don't care for wonder movies at all. After the 1st 2-3 times I'd turn them off.

I like leaderheads. For me civ1 did the best job of making me feel like I was interacting with a leader of any of them.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Theben, I think that is because you could see more of the background and he had his advisors next to him. So it felt like you were actually meeting him.

Civ3 and Civ4 just seem to be an animated portrait.
                be free

Comment

Heads n' terrain! Who cares about end movies, in fact, i play for the joy of ruling a nation, i usually dont 'finish' a game.
                  Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

I'm borrowing Pave post... I'm kind of a lazy man today.
                    Originally posted by Pave
                    Wonder movies : It's always rewarding to see that you have actually complished something.
                    I agree.
                    Animated terrain : Might be distracting and become quite repeative after a while.
                    Mostly afree. Only a few here and there can live up your attention (kind of "easter eggs" here and there: sometime an unexpected changed sound can give the same effect).
                    Leaderheads : It adds personality and immersion. You don't have to anything better than static one-era pics.
                    Well, I hope in a very different leader approach, so this will become unimportant... more suggestion in a future post of mine.
                    End game movies : Same reason as wonder movies.
                    A good end of the game is the most relevant touch of the bunch, IMHO. My vote, BTW.
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

none. animated terrain is probably easiest to do and can be somewhat nice looking if kept simple. movies are a good reward but not really needed. though i do hope you include extensive replays and stats at end game. leaders heads are a negative imo because they don't tie into gameplay and at best make you confused about the ai's real intentions.
                      Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I am probably in the majority among veteran players in that I never turned off the wonder movies. I love 'em. Makes a nice little break.

On the other hand, I detest animated features on the game map. Just makes each turn take longer as more resources are 'stolen' from the AI calc routines.

On thing I would like is the 'newspapers' from Civ I. The 'lists' in civ ii and iii were boring, but the newsies from civ I had style.

Oops, just saw the features thread. Newsies are back! Yippee!!

That feature alone is enough to make submit a pre-order.
                        Last edited by Kinjiru; July 8, 2005, 11:56.

Comment

Wonder Movies - What sort of wonder movies should we expect? I hate crappy 3D movies (e.g. CtP, ToT) with a passion. If it's gonna be anything like that, don't bother. I did like the civ2 movies a lot, but since that used actual video footage and music, that'd probably cost you ( But I also liked the "animated" movies in civ2, like the end game movie). And you can wonder if the effort to make a stunning 3D wonder movie really is worth the effort. Maybe a really nice picture will do.

Animated Terrain - Well, it can be nice. The animated rivers and shores in Civ1 (though that didn't work on my monitor) were quite a nice touch. The animated resources in ToT are okay. But this really isn't necessary. It can help add some atmosphere to the game though, as long as you keep it subtle. Maybe background music or sounds work better.

Leaderheads - Civ1 was the best

End Game Movies - Kind of the same thing as with the wonder movies. Somehow I'm thinking about music again. I'm wondering if maybe the music in the Civ2 end game movie was more rewarding than the video itself.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Though I don't really care for animated terrain I did like the dancing desert trees in Super Mario Bros 3.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Wonder movies a la civ 2
                              • Animated terrain
                                (the exception would be rivers with running water a la atleast the mac version of civ 1)
                              • Leaderheads...
                                I'm indifferent to those. They where kind of neat in civ 1 though (especially with the advisors that changed clothing and appareance depending on both govt type and tech, the modern day despotism advisors where great )
                              • End Game movies
                                (not as important as wonder movies but you do want something when the game is over, not just a bland screen that says well done...)
                              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Too be honest none of them really bother me. I suppose to be rewarded with a little movie at the end is cool.

And to feel like you dealing with another person (though youd actually be dealing with an emiisary or ambassador...)

Really i think its more important to have a replay function. I always love to see my colour spread across the globe like a plague.... ^^
                                Trying to build a Space Civ mod....

Comment

Working...
                                X