Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll #4: Player&his Dino's: Which idea sounds best for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll #4: Player&his Dino's: Which idea sounds best for you?

final results
    [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited October 31, 2000).]

the ideas detailed

1. Create a head dino character, an "alpha" dino or King/Queen
    Dino. This would be a single dino around which the rest of the herd revolves.
    This 'HeroSaur' could have special traits

2. Humanize the dinos. An interesting solution. One easy way to do this is
    through the baby dinos. When a new dino hatches, it would actually come out as a
    baby, and would follow its mother around until it gets old enough to go out on
    its own.

3. Emphasize the story of these dinos so that players become invested in
    that story. A simple technique Sid is experimenting with is the DinoCam, a kind
    of window on special events in the game, such as births, battles, and deaths

4. A vicious enemy. Be it the terrible harshness of the environment or an
    enemy dino so huge and violent it makes the player's heart leap

5. A home. Allowing the dinos to influence the environment, through nesting,
    digging, "fertilizing," or otherwise shaping an area to the player's
    liking, would create a physical space into which the player has invested time
    and effort

6. Expressive animation. Giving the dinosaurs more character than the grim
    reptilian faces they probably possessed would engage the player and help them to
    project emotions into the dinosaurs.

7. Big goals. Give the dinos something to drive them forward to the endgame.
    Give the player something big to grasp for, such as evolving a dinosaur to stand
    the test of time. =)

Comment

I guess we can only vote for one. a shame.
      There are several options I like equally. The "baby dinos", emphasize story of dinos and the last one, "big goals", are my favorite ideas.

------------------
      No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Firaxis would probably like to think that they're doing all of those. There's too many here to vote for, and I don't know which I'd rather have. I think I'll abstain this time.

- MKL
        - mkl

Comment

MarkG, I disagree about the title of choice #2 "Humanize the dinos".

Usually animals take care of their cubs, not only by mothers attention, also by whole herd defending against predator and sacrifice themselves.

Not only mammals: reptiles as crocodiles, are now acknowledged to take care of their eggs.

On the poll, I voted #1, but I must agree with MidKnight about the fact that Firaxis is probably implementing more, if not all, of those concepts into game.

Off Topics: ehi MidKnight, one of my former collegue is just married with an australian girl. They are living somewhere in Camberra, you should find it, if you search around a bit

------------------
          Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

the choices are exact quotes from the 6th diary
            the whole part of the diary related to the poll is posted after the poll on this thread

Comment

Although I like all of the ideas and want them all incorporated into the final product , I like the first option the best and voted for that one.

I see Adm. Naismith also voted for that option, so there should be atleast 2 votes for that one. It says 0 votes, however

Markos?

Comment

Adm. - Yeah, I'll just take about a 5 hour drive to Canberra and yell out if anyone knows a guy who's internet nick is Adm. Naismith.

Canberra isn't actually a very big city, but it's our capital. The government decided 100 odd years ago that they couldn't put the Parliament in Sydney or Melbourne because there's a bit of rivalry between them, so they built a city about half way in between and built the Parliamentry buildings there. So mostly it's full of people who have something to do with the government. What does your friend (or wife) do there?

- MKL
                - mkl

Comment

sorry for the problem guys. it's been fixed...

Comment

Sydney thinks it's top s%*t just because they have the olympics, and Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia. Melbourne Cup(horse racing), Australian open(tennis), AFL Grand Final(football)....

Sorry, small demonstration of Sydney-Melbourne (correction Melbourne-Sydney) rivalry.

------------------
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I personally voted for "A home". Look at what they're doing with Black and White- a totally dynamic environment. No, I don't mean exactly like that (it would not be appropriate), but maybe the type of dino can influence the environment? I would love to see droppings marking territory, egg-nesting sites, "mother dinos" and so on.
                      -Ken Bregott
                      Jack-of-all-trades, or if not all, then at least quite a few.

Comment

Sorry, I diserted this thread for a while, because I'm not more interested in a product with so few info (too much time from the last diary, not enough real info about the current product design).

MarkG: I understand your poll use the quotes from diaries, but the diary also suggested Firaxis will put all the elements at work, so my point was: if you build a new poll, I'm sure you already put some personal effort, so I suggest you adapt and correct the label.
                        But it was only a "by the way" comment, sorry for annoying you.

MidKnight: yes, I was thinking about you yelling my nick name down the streets!
                        Only I have no idea about how much time you need driving by Melbourne to Camberra, and I have no idea too about the job of my previus collegue's wife; actually he's uneployed, because he's a new immigrate and he tryed to explain to me about some 5 months limits before employement (may be it's only a lie to mask a very long & hot honey moon, we italians have some miths to defende, you know ). Sorry, out of topics again.

------------------
                        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

final results....

A head dino character, an alpha dino or King/Queen Dino 42 / 11%
                          Humanize the dinos(baby dinos) 19 / 5%
                          Emphasize the story of the dinos 35 / 9%
                          A vicious enemy(enviroment/enemy dino) 30 / 8%
                          A home(shaping an area to the player's liking) 98 / 26%
                          Expressive animation 21 / 5%
                          Big goals(something big to grasp for) 128 / 34%

373 total votes

Comment

Working...
                          X