No announcement yet.

Temporary File Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm aware of that Martin, I haven't forgotten about this. I'm still working on it, more or les... The problem is that the headers and footers that I'm stuck with are apparently auto-generated by Frontpage or some similar sh*tty program and it's stuffed with bugs (stupid M$, always inventing their own standards, ignoring W3C ), I can't run a HTML verifivier over it, it gives all sorts of crap. Heck, for all I know the problem is in the header/footer...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      I'm aware of that Martin, I haven't forgotten about this. I'm still working on it, more or les... The problem is that the headers and footers that I'm stuck with are apparently auto-generated by Frontpage or some similar sh*tty program and it's stuffed with bugs (stupid M$, always inventing their own standards, ignoring W3C ), I can't run a HTML verifivier over it, it gives all sorts of crap. Heck, for all I know the problem is in the header/footer...
      This is a real problem with this M$ stuff, they gave it to regardless if you wanted it or not. I used the Netscape Composer of Netscape 4.5. To build my little homepage, but I must admit that this program may be a little bit to old for your purposes. So the only way to is what we all did with the CTP2 text files modifying them per hand, but unfortunatly not the best sollution either, as it is very time consumpting.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Martin,
        Sorry, I seem to have missed your last post. Yes, I *do* always make *all* my HTML code by hand, that's the best way IMHO and with programs such as EditPlus it's really easy to do as well. And after the coding I go through it with W3C's code verifier to make sure it's compatible with most browsers. Unfortunately Markos & Dan obviously don't do the coding by hand (or do any verification whatsoever) so the part of the pages that contains the adds and stuff, which I can't change, is all messed up and it's not easy for me to figure out how I have to do the manual coding to get everything straightened out. However, I think/hope a solution will be available soon...

Comment

I have to apologize to Markos, the error was not in his headers but in my own code, Markos pointed it out to me a few minutes ago (so he *does* read these forums, as we had no doubt all started to suspect ). I will fix the code tonight and hopefully even old Netscape users will then be able to use the temp DB...

(Doesn't mean the headers are still pretty crappy though )

Comment

Martin (or anyone else who can check),
            Does the database work okay in Netscape 4 now? All pages should have been fixed (I hope)...

Comment

I just tried it with Netscape 4.77 Linux version here from uni. So far no problems with displaying the pages.

There is only one thing that you should change know. Check out this page and you will see that there is the wrong image.

-Martin

Comment

Good to hear it's working now...

I don't know how that pic mix-up happened, as I'm quite certain it was okay earlier, but it's been fixed now. Thanks for the heads up...

Comment

Now the new directory is *finally* online (we were working on this for a long, long time - that explains why I was so lazy in updating this database: for months we thought we could be ready for the official opening within days), this thread will soon be uptopped and possibly closed. Since I know CtP2ers don't like to venture outside their own forums,

I'll leave this place here for a few more days to serve as an announcement and (if people need it) a place for discussion about the new file database:
                  The Apolyton Directory - http://apolyton.net/dir
                  See the Community Forum for details.

Comment

So when you will move all the files from the pld database to the new one Locutus?

-Martin

Comment

'pld'? The old database you mean? I'm afraid I have no control over that, that's up to Markos. All existing databases have a similar structure, Markos is writing some script to do the importing automatically. All I can do is move the temp database there (which I already did months ago) and keep adding new files.

Comment

'pld'? The old database you mean? I'm afraid I have no control over that, that's up to Markos. All existing databases have a similar structure, Markos is writing some script to do the importing automatically. All I can do is move the temp database there (which I already did months ago) and keep adding new files.
                        These stupid typos, the 'o' key is beside the 'p' key.

But anyway thanks to let us know you aren't responsible for that part.

-Martin

Comment

D'oh!

Yeap, now you can start bugging Markos

Comment

Yeap, now you can start bugging Markos
                            That's an interesting idea, and now I wonder what I could do now as I finished the tourny game.

-Martin

Comment

Well, don't him I give you that idea

Comment

I think I will leave it to the post I made in the thread about it. But another question do you have access on the links on the CTP2 news page so that you can modify it so that the Apolyton directory is linked from that page.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X