Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Possibilities

Is this possible in CTP2:

When a civilization builds a Wonder, it could appear as a 2D image on the terrain next to the civ that built it. This Wonder would confer its normal benefits on the civ in general and would also give the city that built it some bonuses such as extra gold or production (people would travel far and wide to see this Wonder of the World).

This would not be done for all the Wonders but for a select few. You could do it for: Pyramids, Stonehenge, Great Library, Hanging Gardens, Great Lighthouse, etc

For example, when a civ builds the Great Pyramids, they would appear as a beautifully rendered 2D icon on that civ's territory. The Pyramids would have a physical prescence, and wouldn't just be a name on an inventory list.

I think it would be great, when travelling through another civ's territory, to come across the Pyramids in all their glory. Imagine the possibilities!

I think adding something like this would add an extra touch to the glory of building a great civilization. To my knowledge this type of thing has never been done in a game before (except in AoE).

What do you think? Is this possible?

That would indeed be very cool It can probably be done by making the wonder a tile improvement and building it through SLIC...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

That's good news Locutus

All we need now are some artists to be inspired enough to create these Wonders. . .

Personally, it would be awesome to see these Wonders towering above the terrain throughout the world. . .

Comment

I have used these pictures elsewhere, but here are a few "Wonders" to help us spark our imaginations:

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
          That would indeed be very cool It can probably be done by making the wonder a tile improvement and building it through SLIC...
          Assuming we can get new tile improvements in. That would involve TileEdit, and so far I have had no luck assigning new TileSet Indices to new tile improvements.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Didn't Cradle add some new tile improvements? And the WWII scenario? You could study that as well to see how Activision did it...

Comment

Cradle's ones are using existing TileSet Indices, the half-built tile improvements. The WW2 scenario has got custom Tile Files, I don't know how they added them, using the Activision program I assume. (). We could edit them, and get two more tile imps, but they're slotted in at 85 and 88.
              Maybe #83-99 are available, its worth trying I suppose.
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

If Activision was able to add tile imps afterwards, there should not be any reason why we can't. I find it very hard to believe that there would be a hardcoded limit of 88 tile imps...
                If I have the time I'll have a look at the thing myself, but there are already so many other things on my to-do list...

Comment

I agree, there shouldn't be a hard-coded limit, but wherever I add the new tile imps, it displays as roads :/

Comment

There shouldn't be a such a low limit as also every the single road graphic can be accessed over the tileimp.txt as improvment. I hope you don't use the road class for your tile improvment, Ben. Otherwise I could take a look on your *.til file and tilimp.txt.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Sounds like you all have some excellent ideas.

I think Wonders of the World have been one of the most neglected things in the Civ series. At least in Civ 2 and CTP2 they have Wonder movies; in Civ 3 they didn't even have that. . .

Here is a discussion about Wonders from a couple of years ago. Reading through it, I was struck by how relevant it still is today:

In particular Harlan's comments:

"Picking your wonder at the start of the game doesn't work for me at all. Like the ancient Egyptians are gonna know they'll want the Internet in 6000 years? But a limit to the number of wonders you can build by age, that's the ticket.

Instead of having wonders tend to make the stronger stronger and the weak weaker, the effect would be more even. The amount of wonders allowed per age would depend on how long the ages will be. It might also depend on how many players (imagine if youre playing with 2 civs in a game vs. 9). But the main point is, have a strict limit.

This idea is so good it should go in the standard CTP2 setup, not just a SLIC addon. At least have it as an option when you start the game."

If somehow, it can be possible to make building and having a Wonder truly a great thing, then I think they will not only have importance, but will be inspiring as well.

Imagine seeing these Wonders dotting the landscape of the world. Heck, I'd probably build units just so I could travel around the world just to see the Wonders that all the Civs were building

Comment

Perhaps a starting point for the Pyramids icon might be with the "Pyramid city type" that is found in the City Mod included in Cradle and others.

These pyramids could be improved upon and given a bigger and better look to represent this Wonder.

The pyramids of long ago looked far different than they do today. While the bulk of the Pyramid's core was constructed of 4,000- to 40,000-pound blocks of soft limestone, the outer layer of the Pyramid was made of a beautifully bright, protective layer of polished stone. These outer "casing stones" are missing today because about 600 years ago they were stolen by Arabs, (This accounts for the very worn appearance of the Pyramid today, since the inner limestone blocks are not immune to attack by the elements of wind, rain, and sandstorm.) This protective covering was made up of 100-inch-thick, 20-ton blocks of hard, white polished limestone, similar to marble but superior in hardness and in durability against the elements. To top it off, the pyramids were capped with gold. . . .

Imagine what they must have looked like! In the bright sun they would have shone brilliantly. The polished casing stones, 144,000 in all, were so brilliant that they could literally be seen from the mountains of Israel hundreds of miles away. On bright mornings and late afternoons, sunlight reflected by this vast mirrored surface of 5-1/4 acres distinguished the Pyramid as being visible from the moon.

What a sight they must have been. . .

Not to mention what the Sphinx would have looked like:

Comment

WAIT A F*CKING MINUTE!!!!!!! I know this is off-topic but I've been looking for this for this over 18 months!!! (now, where's that : party : smilie when you need it?)

Quoting MrOrge from that thread:
                          int_f mod_CityHappiness(city_t city, int_t happiness)
                          {
                          if(CityHasWonder(city, WonderDB(WONDER_SLICED_BREAD)) {
                          // Add 5 happiness to the city that invented sliced bread
                          return happiness + 5;
                          }
                          return happiness;
                          }
                          So, the mod_CityHappiness function *does* work, contrary to what I always believed. This probably means mod_UnitAttack, mod_UnitRangedAttack and mod_UnitDefense work as well, which opens up some really nice new possibilities for SLICers, presuming we can find out what arguments they require...

Although it was completely by accident, Leonidas: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

(Stupid thing is, I vividly remember that thread, I just don't recall ever seeing that particular post before)

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                            I've been looking for this for this over 18 months!!! (now, where's that : party : smilie when you need it?)

Although it was completely by accident, Leonidas: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

(Stupid thing is, I vividly remember that thread, I just don't recall ever seeing that particular post before)

Locutus: Glad that link provided seed for some inspiration Best of luck in your efforts. . .

Comment

Looking at these pyramids raises an interesting thought: Since many ancient cultures had their own distinct-looking pyramids, it might be interesting to have groups of nations within a cultural block be able to build only a certain type of pyramid (ie. countries in the middle-east and surrounding areas build the classic pyramids; countries in the Americas, would build the Mayan/Aztec-type pyramids; etc...):

This would really add to the flavour of the game. So there could be about 3 or 4 different types of pyramids that could be built, depending on the civ you play. . .

Mexican Pyramids

They were often painted red so that they would shine in the sun:

Peruvian Pyramids:

Chinese Pyramids:

Heck, they've even found pyramids in the ocean off the coast of Japan:

Comment

Working...
                              X