Wonder Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Locutus
    Edit: natural wonders are a nice idea too, Dale brought this up a while ago - they'd be created randomly across them map and have a tourist benefit or something. That would be interesting.
    I'm glad someone remembered this. I'd still like to look at making a Natural Wonders MOD or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
      I'm glad someone remembered this. I'd still like to look at making a Natural Wonders MOD or something.
      The fact that I don't have time to work on my mod right now doesn't mean I've forgotten about it
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

The fact that I don't have time to work on my mod right now doesn't mean I've forgotten about it
        Hmmm.... with all the lurking ya do here, we could've had the mod finished by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          Hmmm.... with all the lurking ya do here, we could've had the mod finished by now.
          Heh, I've been coding all day! The thing is that during coding, Apolyton is only 1 Alt-Tab away
          And yes, the results of my code work will be available later tonight or tomorrow (depending on how many bugs I'll find in the test game I'm about to start)

Comment

I want it now!

Comment

Well, tough luck for you I encountered a big fat bug and have no idea what's causing it. Not a chance in hell I'll finish this tonight...

Back to the topic: IW found some more really neat wonders last night, from Empire Earth. I think those would be very useful as well.

Comment

Locutus: I have to agree with you that the art quality in Civ2 is markedly inferior to that of CTP2, but the basic concept of borrowing existing art from other games is clearly the fastest way to implement this concept - loved the pasted wonders in your example!

There's another recent game - "Zeus, Master of Olympus" which could serve as a good resource. The art is kinda "cartoony", but might work as a distinct contrast with the cities. Here's a url to some screen shots:

To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Wow, this thread exploded while I was unable to read it

Locutus, is that 'Middle East' wonder the Temple in Jerusalem?

I think for pyramids, we'd be better using an adaptation of Martin's city style.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Kull,
                    Agreed, borrowing art is the best way to go. Those Zeus graphics look very 'cartoonish' indeed, a little too much to my taste. More importantly, I don't recognize any existing wonders in there. E.g. there are some Pyramid-like constructions on that page but I don't know any real-life Pyramids which resemble the Pyramids from that game (the same problem applies to many AoK wonders as well, BTW).

IW,
                    I don't know that that ME thing is supposed to be. It's a generic wonder for the Babylonians, Hittites and Persians (yet not for the Sumerians and Assyrians, oddly enough). I've compared it with dozens of famous buildings from the region but can't find anything that resembles it, I think the designers of AoE just made it up or something. Temple of Jerusalem? You mean the temple of Solomon? It doesn't look anything like the pictures of Solomon's temple I've seen:

Anyway, I've done some further digging around and I've found around 60 pictures from various games which could relatively easily be converted into a wonder tile imp. However, many of these have the problem that they don't really resemble real-life wonders, as far as I can tell. Anyway, here's a list of the ones that *do* resemble existing things and from what game they are:

- Gates of Ishtar (EE)
                    - Coliseum of Rome (RoR, EE)
                    - Pyramid of Khufu (AoE, EE, Civ3)
                    - Temple of the Sun (AoE)
                    - Colossus or Rhodes (AoE, Civ3)
                    - Pharos of Alexandria (EE, Civ3)
                    - Great Library of Alexandria (EE, Civ3)
                    - Temple of Zeus (EE)
                    - Aya Sofia (AoK)
                    - Dome of the Rock (AoK)
                    - Arc de Triomph(?) (AoK, actually a Hunnic wonder but after resizing you can't really see the difference anyway)
                    - Notre Dame (TC)
                    - al-Malwiya (The Spiral/Great Mosque) of Sammara (AoK)
                    - Blue Mosque of Sultanahmet (AoK)
                    - Great Wall of China (Civ3)
                    - Pentagon (Civ3)
                    - Hanging Gardens (Civ3)
                    - United Nations (Civ3)
                    - Hoover Dam (Civ3)
                    - Forbidden City (Civ3)
                    - Apollo Program (Civ3)

(EE = Empire Earth; Civ3 = Civilization III; AoE = Age of Empires; RoR = AoE: Rise of Rome XP; AoK = Age of Kings; TC = AoK: The Conquerors XP)

URLs of pics:
                    http://www.strategyplanet.com/empireearth/wonders.shtml (EE)
                    http://www.ensemblestudios.com/ (AoK, TC)
                    http://www.gamespot.com/features/aoe2_pre/ (AoK)
                    http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3wonders.shtml (Civ3)

Of the Cradle wonders which can be represented by a building, here's a list of the ones that aren't on the above list, with suggestions on what graphic could be used instead. Note that some wonders (e.g. Ramayana) can't be represented by a building and also that it's not necessary (perhaps even undesirable) that all building-wonders actually become a tile imp.

- Galileo's Telescope -> Copernicus' Observatory? (Civ3)
                    - Solomon's Temple -> MEern wonder? (AoE)
                    - Aristotle's Lyceum -> Oracle? (Civ3)
                    - Shakespeare's Theatre -> Shakespeare's Threatre (Civ3)
                    - London Exchange -> Wall Street? (Civ3)
                    - Mecca -> Dome of the Rock? (see above)
                    - Temple of Zeus -> Sistine Chapel? (Civ3)
                    - Valley of the Kings -> Same as Pyramids?
                    - Hadrian's Wall -> Same as Great Wall?
                    - Stonehenge -> ?reuse goody hut?
                    - Via Appia -> ?white road?
                    - Hollywood -> ?
                    - Empire State Building -> ?

Finally, I looked at the wonder list for the History of the World (formerly History of Civilization) mod and listed the most important wonders for which we don't have a tile imp yet (note that the wonder list for this mod is far from final, so things could easily change):

- Sunken City of Yonaguna
                    - Harbors of Carthage
                    - Nan Madol of Pohnpei
                    - Great Canal of China
                    - Borobudur
                    - Angkor Wat
                    - Kremlin
                    - Great Zimbabwe
                    - Registan of Samarkand
                    - Sankore Mosque of Timbuktu
                    - Meenakshi Temple of Madurai
                    - Taj Mahal
                    - Palais de Versailles
                    - Torii of Itsukushima
                    - Sagrada Familia
                    - Panama Canal
                    - Opera House of Sydney
                    - Petronas Towers

Comment

This one might be useful

[IMG]C:\My Documents\STUFF.jpg[/IMG]
                      When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

ískallin,
                        You can't post files straight from your hard disk, you'll have to attach it (post a new reply and look for the 'attach file' section).

Comment

He he whistle whistle

Attached Files

Comment

Nice ones, ískallin, some of those could be useful.

Anyway, here's another picture of some of the aforementioned wonders in action. Again, the quality is low and the picture crowded, but it gives an nice impression of how this would look like in the game.

Around Tanis you see (turning clockwise, starting north): Notre Dame (AoK), Pyramid of Khufu (Civ3), Gates of Isthar (EE), al-Malwiya (AoK), Forbidden City (Civ3).

Around Memphis: Hanging Gardens (Civ3), Pharos (EE), Oracle (Civ3), Blue Mosque (AoK), Apollo (Civ3), Aya Sofia (AoK).
                            Attached Files

Comment

This would look fine if someone would fix them

[IMG]C:\My Documents\Untitled.1GIF.gif[/IMG]

i aint shure what wonder's those are

but the cloud temple (blue and grey one) could be Temple of Zues

Comment

This would look fine if someone would fix them

i aint shure what wonder's those are

but the cloud temple (blue and grey one) could be Temple of Zues
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X