Map.txt and its uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map.txt and its uses

Ok...i have stated before..I like to use 16+ civs on a "supersized" map say 210x420...I know I know I need a life

Up until now though any random map gave me "freckles" crazy little patchwork islands all around the main landmasses.........

Here is where map.txt comes in

the original reads(this is an extract for gigantic maps)

## Super Large Map

MAP_SIZE 70 140 {
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 0% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 70
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 8
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 26
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 40
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 24
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 12
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 24
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_SIZE 0.6
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_HEIGHT 0.4
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 10% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 64
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 8
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 46
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 40
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 22
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 12
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 22
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_HEIGHT 0.4
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 20% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 58
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 20
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 48
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 42
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 18
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 10
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 20
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_HEIGHT 0.5
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 30% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 52
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 10
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 28
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 42
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 16
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 10
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 18
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_HEIGHT 0.5
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 40% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 48
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 12
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 30
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 44
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 13
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 16
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_HEIGHT 0.6
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    ## Default \/ \/ \/
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 50% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 45
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 8
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 12
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 30
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 44
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 10
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 16
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 60% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 42
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 10
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 16
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 36
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 56
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 10
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 16
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 70% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 38
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 12
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 20
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 40
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 68
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 9
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 18
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_SIZE 0.7
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 80% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 36
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 14
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 24
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 44
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 80
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 9
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 18
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_SIZE 0.7
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 90% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 33
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 16
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 28
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 48
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 90
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 8
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 20
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_SIZE 0.8
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    # Very Large(Gigantic) Map - 100% Continents/Islands
    {
    MAP_NUM_CONTINENTS 20
    MAP_MIN_WIDTH 20
    MAP_MIN_HEIGHT 32
    MAP_MAX_WIDTH 52
    MAP_MAX_HEIGHT 100
    MAP_BUMP_SIZE 8
    MAP_MIN_SUBCONTINENTS 8
    MAP_MAX_SUBCONTINENTS 20
    MAP_SUBCONTINENT_SIZE 0.8
    MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5
    }
    }
    ok now I doubled up the map size in constr.txt,then went through this list and doubled up any variable that was min or max..It worked just as I hoped
    A map without "freckles"

N.B. I have been playing with these variables on various sized maps and you can produce some very interesting results indeed.The largest map I have worked with so far was 210x420 and do not think I'll go any larger...

Finally by really messing with these settings...you can make the slider for ocean continent ratio MEAN something

Apologies for length of post..but I felt I had to share this

------------------
    I'm not paranoid I KNOW they're watching me
    EdCase
    EdCase

I started drooling when I read this (joking).

I felt the default map sizes were too constricted so I changed all the sizes, setting gigantic at 90 x 180. But if I can make them larger without freezing or crashing (after I get rid of this f**king "Ruin Bug", then I will definitely check into this!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well I've been playing a game on a supersized map for a while...no freezes no crashes..and whats more your tech tree revisions,terrain adjustments etc seem to function smoothly Mr.Fun (yep i'm using them )
      The map generated seems interesting so far..contact with 4 of the 30,discounting the barbs,other civs shows me I have sole possesion of a nice island..bout the size of a continent on the smaller maps LOL.
      Good job it was close enough to a larger landmass for early boats though or I'd be getting lonely.
      Incidentally if you want room to expand set the nice start= figure in constr.txt to 20,then other civs are generally more dispersed on the map

------------------
      EdCase
      EdCase

Comment

You have found some interesting aspects of map manipulation that I have not looked at. I would like to keep in touch via e-mail if you would like. Great minds think alike.

Comment

Yes, they are. Also, change MapPlugin3=dll\\map\\plasma2.dll to MapPlugin3=dll\\map\\fault.dll in the userprofile.txt file in the [CTP2]\ctp_program\ctp directory.

If you have time, try cruising the older posts. You will find all this plus lots more tips and tricks which still hold true for CtP2. Maybe some bumping would help keep people from spending to many hours reinventing the wheel.
          Don,
          CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

If I use the fault.dll then the game seems to use the meridian data but does so rather severely. The map is striped with clear cutoffs. Increasing diversity helps some but not enough. Perhaps this is why that plugin wasn't used? There doesn't seem to be any 'fudge factor' in the meridian use with fault.dll.

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 12-03-2000 01:52 PM
            Yes, they are. Also, change MapPlugin3=dll\\map\\plasma2.dll to MapPlugin3=dll\\map\\fault.dll in the userprofile.txt file in the [CTP2]\ctp_program\ctp directory.

If you have time, try cruising the older posts. You will find all this plus lots more tips and tricks which still hold true for CtP2. Maybe some bumping would help keep people from spending to many hours reinventing the wheel.

Comment

Mr Skorpion? Older posts? if you mean ctp I gave that up ...it was such a kludge..in fact I almost bailed on CTPII. But I just cannot resist a new civ game
              Incidentally I posted here,help and suggestions about the "freckles" no one replied..either they didn't know..didn't care...or intended to use in their own super-mod......SO I fixed for myself

Mr.Fun I would be more than happy to communicate by e-mail...although I know nothing about SLIC..feel free to bounce any info you find and I'll reciprocate..LOL maybe we'll produce our own mod eventually

------------------
              EdCase
              [This message has been edited by EdCase (edited December 03, 2000).]
              EdCase

Comment

Are the two files to change map.txt and const.txt?
                [This message has been edited by wysiwyg (edited December 03, 2000).]

Comment

WYSIWYG,
                  I guess that just shows how different we all are in what we like and dislike. That is one reason map generation is such a tricky and touchy issue. The Activision Designers recommended 'fault' as well as some other map.txt specific changes back in the CtP1 days. I tried them, liked them and stuck with them.

Ed,
                  Yeah, I meant CtP1. Just because you didn't play it doesn't mean you can't gain some knowledge from it.

I am about the only CtP1 map-modifier, map-maker (that stuck with it) so not many others would be able to answer your 'freckles' question. Unfortunately, because of some health issues, I haven't been able to spend much time here at Apolyton but I do hope to change that.

And I am very thrilled so many people have taken up the CtP2 map making/map scenario creation process. It sure will make my life a lot easier.
                  Don,
                  CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

what I like to see in a map is at least 2 seperate super continents that are seperated by deep water.

the only way I can get this is usually to use a gigantic map with 90% ocean, and mostly continents.

anyone have any suggestions? I like to have to wait a bit before I can explore the whole world, and havine landmasses seperated by deep water helps.

though, I've also triples movement rates for all ships.

Comment

In my opinion Mog Dog, you did not set realistic ship movement rates by tripling it. In the 18th century, it took 3 months for British ships to reach North America. You're looking for sailing ships with the speed of light?

But everyone has their own preferences. I kept ship movement rates unmodified except for Battleship - added one more movement point.

Comment

Well, I said tripled for simplicity, for coracles I have the movement set at 6, for longboats, 6 as well. but for powered boats, I'm still adjusting and balancing them.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, but basicly what I want is to be able to sail across deep water in 2-3 turns. and be able to load and unload troops.

I find that any longer and my boats are too much at risk of detection, and I don't have any move points for manuvering. also, invsions over seas take too long for me, I get frustrated.

I think I have subs at 20 and destroyers at 35, I'm not certain at the moment, and I have seperate unit.txt files for different size worlds.

does anyone else find ocean movement to be to slow? magellean's boat took 3 years to circle the earth, I think. I'm aiming more that time span. it may throw off some game balance, but I find the AI does alot more exploring, and does better with colonizing and oversea invasions.

I havn't changed movement values for any air units.

Comment

It might improve AI's capability with increased naval movement points, but for the human player where is the logistical challenge if you increase movement points so high?

Comment

I started upping the movement values for boats, after playing a really good WW2 scenario in Civ2. It took so long for my japanese carriers to get to the US west coast, that I felt the need to get there in 3 turns. so I boosted the move points, to 10 or so.

The pacific is big, but you should be able to cross it in less than a year.

It also makes exploring alot more interesting for me, not having to press the nest turn button after every other square my coracle moves into.

Comment

As I see it, the problem isn't really the "next turn". It is the timeline.

When you make a scenario or something like this, it would be lovely, if you were able to change the "year" to "months" or even "weeks/days".

Then everybody would accept two-five-ten turns to get to some other place or to "manage" the troops for an attack/defense.

Right???????
                              First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X