Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More comments from Blackice the Unrated!! Why don't you become rated like the rest of us, before you give US advice on how to play rated games?!!

Just fooling Ice, I couldn't resist. Always appreciate your comments on the rating system... though, they are usually negative. Criticism makes for a stronger system.

What you are forgeting, though, is that PBEM includes the added, very important, skill of DIPLOMACY. If, for example, Klair can convince someone to buoy her position via diplomacy, then that, in itself, is a crucial CTP skill, and should be factored into the PBEM Rating. One-on-One games do demonstate one's ability in production and strategy, but most all PBEM games require a very strong diplomatic ablility, (something I am sorely lacking in, but I'm working on it!! ) Keep this in mind, oh Blackice the Unrated One, when considering someone's true ability.

Oh and one more thing Ice .... Define "fun" for me. One person's "fun" is another's "boredom", and another's "misery".

Comment

More comments from Blackice the Unrated!! Why don't you become rated like the rest of us, before you give US advice on how to play rated games?!!
      Oh I am unrated and have no say???? hummm diplomacy at it's best. I would have more say as a newly rated newbie then? Bunk...

Just fooling Ice, I couldn't resist. Always appreciate your comments on the rating system... though, they are usually negative. Criticism makes for a stronger system.
      Me too. and I hope so... part of the fun don't you think? i thought I put some positive in it?

What you are forgeting, though, is that PBEM includes the added, very important, skill of DIPLOMACY. If, for example, Klair can convince someone to buoy her position via diplomacy, then that, in itself, is a crucial CTP skill, and should be factored into the PBEM Rating.
      Yes and has been accounted for... note points given...define diplomacy for me...is it to be rated well or to win??? In the end what role does it play with TRUE ability rating? Yes we can all keep some poor person happy. Pass them some goods, have them watch our back door, get them wasted while we win...
      Diplomacy hummm, true ability... hummm. Did it done it been there, next... Yes I prefer 1x1 even land mass what more can happen to determine skill?

One-on-One games do demonstate one's ability in production and strategy, but most all PBEM games require a very strong diplomatic ablility, (something I am sorely lacking in, but I'm working on it!! )
      Are'nt we all... note points given...most all? you jest right?

oh Blackice the Unrated One, when considering someone's true ability.
      Ah but Quinn the rated one... being unrated gives me unbias opinion which I hope I have given... true ability meaning? I think the ratings so far speak for it self, true rating is lacking LOOK AT ZOBO winning more games than losing and droping in the ratings... like a game rated Quinn? Klair? rated... I will drop all games just to play you two now rated...

Also simply because I am unrated as I have seen the outcome of the system...ZOBO and prefer to play for fun surely this does not exclude me from opinions or input does it, oh diplomatic one? How about an online rated game Quinn you and Klair lol... Then you can show me a two on one diplomatic, let's see your skill game

Oh and one more thing Ice .... Define "fun" for me. One person's "fun" is another's "boredom", and another's "misery".
      We are all here for... fun... or are you just going though the motion. bored? The game is fun, the diplomacy, the anticipation of the next turn, reading the threads, watching the rating thread lol I could go on, fun meeting good people online, getting better at the game, socializing... and so on...misery ugg what game are you playing? :b

Is it fun to play this game and participate Quinn? Beyond that I really don't get the meaning what is it you are asking????

Remember before you take this to heart... It is fun it's a game mellow, zen, relax, enjoy the input, have fun... as I am sure you are doing

YoU HaVe To LoVe ThIs GaMe
      Last edited by blackice; August 10, 2001, 02:11.
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

Giant Bird turn 59

1. TheBirdMan, Ivan of russia
        (2. Blackice, Blackice of Assyria)
        3. Darth Viper, Darth Viper of the Incan
        (4. Stavros, DonCarne of Mexico)
        5. Franses, Franses of Egypt
        (6. King Thor, Taipan of China)

Blackice replaces Notuncommon.
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Maybe I should become rated in the above game... it would do wonders for my rating lol. Seriously The Bird, Darth, and Franses have good spots and moxy and will gain from this...
          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
          Or do we?

Comment

Yes Blackice. And if you took Fly High too - then you soon would be among the top 3-5 . With only two games.
            First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Last edited by blackice; August 10, 2001, 19:30.
              Or do we?

Comment

Not really Birdy because I have several other games where the land is so so, those games would have me in 20 something as per ZOBO. Did it done it been there, remember you lose more than you gain generally. I prefer to play many games and have some fun with it and help out where I can.
                Or do we?

Comment

Don't name Zobo at too loud voice, BlackIce, you could invoke him... me.

Uh, I don't care really about my position in the rating system.
                  It's just fun to go up and down and down again.

I can calculate easly that if I'm rates only in TH game (I replace the original player), my ranking will go up. But I'm a player and a Real Man with all the stuff.

--- Edit :

BlackIce is right in his analyse. You can win a CTP game having cumulating more losing points than winning ones. And players can select their games where they are rated. So people can choose only good games.

But I my case, I'm simply quite bad.

I decided to be rated in all game I play and I don't really care about my rank (just for fun).
                  Last edited by ZoboZeWarrior; August 10, 2001, 10:35.
                  Zobo Ze Warrior
                  --
                  Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

Easy now both Blackice and Zobo.

What comes up has to come down.

And Zobo - I know several, that have a lower rating than you

WHO DID YOU SAY ME???????

Ohhh, to h... with it - it's just fun

And I know I am better than the ratings shows I just have missed to prove it to you

BTW: I am (one of) the looooooooosers, that have given Klair most of her points - just because I took over a lousy nation and yet accepted to be rated.

Gandhi

Comment

Zobo, birdy

That was all my point was, is to point out if you play for points work the ranking system and your games wisely...

What comes up has to come down.
                      Yes at lightening speed if you are not careful You maybe can not win them all but you can maximize your win points and minimize your loss points...

And have fun... however you define that

YoU HaVe To LoVe ThIs GaMe
                      Or do we?

Comment

And I know I am better than the ratings shows
                        Quote from myself

Eagles at War, turn 39:

1. TheBirdMan, roman
                        2. Krajl, egyptian
                        3. Krash, russian
                        4. Quinns, incan
                        (5. Blackice the unrated, irish)
                        (6. Hunter, german)
                        (7. Saddam, maya)
                        8. Frazer, viking.

Blackice has replaced Notuncommon
                        Hunter has replaced Arthur
                        Saddam has replaced Solver.

The game is airborne again

But we still miss a moderator

Gandhi

Comment

You know what? You are all right. What am I doing wasting my time keeping track of all this? What's the point? Forget about it. I'm serious. Nothing personal everyone, but all I get is grief for this running this system -- even from the rated players that are doing well. So, if anybody wants to take over running this system, feel free to do so. I am finished with my contribution. All of the the data and formulas exists in the above reports. I've done this for too long. I thought it would inspire people to enjoy the game more. Man, was I wrong.
                          Last edited by quinns; August 10, 2001, 17:28.

Comment

I thought it would inspire people to enjoy the game more. Man, was I wrong.
                            I think you were right personally it does add a new ellement of fun. In this case I think what we are talking about here is how to use the rating system effectively and strategicaly. Face it no system is perfect as we do not live in a perfect world.

With that in mind it was not intended to cause anyone grief, just open some ideas up... food for thought, which I think it did.

This is just my oppinion, also I think Quinn has done a bang up job here and the ratings system is ok. But as Quinn elluded too think about your rating when playing games. There is more to this system then meets the eyes. Study as an example Zobo's game results for a referance point. These comments were not intended to attack the current system but to expand on what has been said here. It was also intended to make people more aware of how their actions in game influence the way the rankings play out.

As stated you have done a bang up job with this cheers Quinn...

Or do we?

Comment

Thanks for the comments Ice, but I am finished. I am not upset with anyone. I just started thinking about it, and you're right. What's the point? It takes some work to keep all this straight... what for? At work, I don't mind the complaints, because I'm getting paid. This is wasted volunteer work.

I hope someone else grabs the ball and runs with it. I'm done.

Comment

Answer obviously is no, leading to the question what's the point then? FUN I say you have to love this game

I just started thinking about it, and you're right. What's the point? It takes some work to keep all this straight... what for?
                                For the FUN is the point. But if it is not fun for you now I can see your point.

I don't mind the complaints, because I'm getting paid. This is wasted volunteer work.
                                Well I would not agree with you there but that is me. IMO I don't think it has been a waste at all. Lots of peeps are having fun with it... Once again thanks and good job Quinn
                                Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                                X