Online League Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online League Discussion

continued from the Internet Ranking Thread here.

topic:
    Gavrushka suggested we set up an Online League, organized similar to the PBEM Super League

gathered posts (in parts) from the old thread on this topic...

Gavrushka:
    (...)
    NOW why can't we get a mini superleague online??
    (...)
    I think that once a lot of players experience both the enjoyment and social interaction of online play, and realise that 30 minutes (min) time slots here and there are all that is required to play they would be online like a shot.

I think it would be fairly easy to get a superleague for online play of 10 - 12 players.. the only requisite I would suggest is min 1 hour free every two weeks? Games would move far faster than PBEM..
    (...)
    We could have teams of two and bare in mind that games will probs be concluded after 3 or 4 sessions we could actually get some progress and a real league going.

A minimum of 8 players would be enough each playing 6 matches (home and away) . I would suggest that even with as many as 12 players we could get a result within 6 months..

Gavrushka:
    I think only 2 vs 2 (...) No one V one.. That would be too time consuming and too difficult to arrange additionally.

I suggest that at any one time only one game with any team is going on..

Mathemagician:
    that would also increase the 'race' feeling as it exists in a real league.

Gavrushka:
    And if there were too many people, then it would be a question of running a 1st and 2nd division maybe?

Mathemagician:
    should we have the same teams as in PBEM SL ?
    should we look to put weaker players together with stronger players ?
    should we maybe make single player rankings and not team rankings ?

Mathemagician:
    i mean we could play with 4 single players, place 1 scores 2 points, place 2 gets 1 point.

Gavrushka:
    I think linking a host with a non-host is important.. But yes I feel that teams should be balanced for ability, then everyone gets something out of it!

Gavrushka:
    Let me try and summarise...
    We have the following agreed players

Azrael
    Blackice
    Quinns
    Filix
    Ricketyclick
    Milamber
    Mathemagician
    Gavrushka

Of these we have two confirmed hosts in Blackice and Azrael. But As I understand we have two or three more hosts about to join

Pin:
    (...) 1 hour every 2nd week should be np, but i would suggest a little more time as minimum. 1 hour around 200 AD aint many turns for 4 players.
    And what kinda land we talking? hope we wont play a mountain only world with max goods, i suggest a more "normal" world with less goods to prevent the very fast science. With that high science much of the game play is lost due to the fact units are absolete before you get them too the front etc.

Gavrushka:
    I think that the idea (...) is so that each team can select what they want for their settings in the game..

Paulno1:
    Gav, you may have a huge trouble with actually getting all 4 to show at an agreed time.
    (...)
    What will you do about the no scenario bug that comes up everyonce and awhile? (...) It means you cant open the file.

Gavrushka:
    The no scenario found is a bug from playing PBEM? I think a quick reinstall of CTP before each on line will cure it?

Gavrushka:
    There are a LOT of players interested.. Maybe teams of three with only two playing in any particular game would help both the pressure of time, and the no show possibility.

Gavrushka:
    Should someone start a new thread for this??

---
    hereby done.
    Last edited by Mathemagician; May 21, 2004, 10:02.
    Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
    O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Nice one Maths!

He's back after a fashion...

Comment

by the way GAV that doesnt fix it, it just seems to occur from the very start of some games and cant be fixed in any way shape or form. You can find out if it has occured just by saving and trying the game right at the start. It occurs right from word go. Only way to get around it is to change permanent hosts. That fixes it, but that causes bugs when you change hosts. Its a problem experienced by some more than others. Hopefully you will be lucky with the hosts you pick.

Comment

Re: Online League Discussion

Originally posted by Mathemagician

(...)
        What will you do about the no scenario bug that comes up everyonce and awhile? (...) It means you cant open the file.

Gavrushka:
        The no scenario found is a bug from playing PBEM? I think a quick reinstall of CTP before each on line will cure it?
        Actually..the "NO SCENARIO FOUND " is what you get when the host is on XP and tries to load a saved gamefile..

(WIN98 & WIN98SE run FAT32 vs XP running NTSF file systems...)

As a host on a 98 OS machine you shouldnt have that problem...

NOT a PBEM Issue nor will a quick reinstall help unfortunately

Although Daffy may indeed have the answer below??

Peace

Grandpa Troll
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Paulno1
          by the way GAV that doesnt fix it, it just seems to occur from the very start of some games and cant be fixed in any way shape or form. You can find out if it has occured just by saving and trying the game right at the start. It occurs right from word go. Only way to get around it is to change permanent hosts. That fixes it, but that causes bugs when you change hosts. Its a problem experienced by some more than others. Hopefully you will be lucky with the hosts you pick.
          Ahh I see... and thanks for the tech speak Troll... FAT32 being caused by too much Pizza yes??

Paul you use XP then? Is there anyway you can get a partition with 98SE?? How many people can actually see themselves as hosting??

I know so far we will only have three hosts. Will filix with 2000 ME be able to host ??

IS there a way to use IPX to create games?? Ice you mentioned this? It is similar to creating a LAN amongst players yes?

I can ask the questions, but I cannot supply the answers.

Comment

so if i get this "no scenario bug" thing right, putting Pauls and Trolls statements together, if the game starts out with an XP host, then switches to a non-XP host, there will be not this bug but other problems.
            so the only way to prevent any problems with or around this bug is to start out with non-XP host and reload only with non-XP hosts, right ?

Comment

Sounds that way... BUT a game cannot start with an XP host in the first place, so it appears this conversation was academic in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by Gavrushka
                Sounds that way... BUT a game cannot start with an XP host in the first place, so it appears this conversation was academic in the first place!
                i thought an XP person could start a game, but no other XP players could join...

Comment

yes that is correct.. BUT as we are discussing league games.. It would mean we would have to have three 98SE players as the none hosts.. So again not a point worthy of really pursuing

Comment

understanding is always worth pursuing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician

i thought an XP person could start a game, but no other XP players could join...
                      No..if the person starts a game as an "XP host" then almost assuredly the game will have problems finding the file...

THAT has been my experience, unfortunately..

Oh and if FAT32 were the reason because of Pizza..then it would be a FAT45 File..UNZIPPABLE!!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                      Attached Files
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I need to understand something? Did God create you as my nemesis??

Gavrushka disappears into a dark room clutching some paracetomol...

Comment

Originally posted by Gavrushka
                          I need to understand something? Did God create you as my nemesis??
                          do you mean Troll or me ?
                          either way, it cannot be, as Troll and I are each other's nemesis already.

Comment

A small voice issues forth from a darkened room...

Go away Nemesis.. I am not listening to you...

Comment

so, my dear vice-nemesis. care to play an online game ? provided blackice is still available of course.

or maybe another email game ?

Comment

Working...
                              X