Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn 73 to Madrid.

Beloved Children,

Take unto your hearts the spirit of peace and reconciliation. Be not led astray by greed or ill-will and find it within yourselves to forgive the misdeeds of your neighbours.

Love to All,

St Jon, Humility in Human Form.

------------------
    "And I declared that the dead who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun."
    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
    - Anon

Comment

Madrid has now sighted a further FULL SIZE Army just outside the original borders!!!

This now brings the size of the army bearing down onto Las Matas at least 17 units topped by musketeers! This has been a plan invasion from the start!

We have asked Australia for peace - we now humbly ask to take up the kind Welsh offer of mediation in an effort to spare further bloodshed...

The entire nation of Spain is waiting with bated breath and holy congregations everywhere are seeing their flocks greatly swell in numbers as the people seek a sign of salvation from our Lord...

CREDO

Tomas de Torquemada
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Turn 73 ==> Stavros

As Wales only shares borders with Spain and Australia, we feel it our duty to do everything within our power to aid our neighbours in finding a resolution to this crisis. I'm sure that our moral conscience St Jon would agree.

The Spanish have formally requested mediation, I put it directly to Breaker Morant of Australia for a cessation of hostilities in order that some form of agreement can be reached.

Spain has made the first move, the world is awaiting Australia's response....

------------------
        Cariad,
        Demosthenes.
        _____
        www.polthought.freeserve.co.uk
        Cariad,
        Demosthenes.
        _____

Comment

Turn -> rick

An explanation for my actions is forthcoming (it's a very hectic time in my life right now )

Comment

It seems that the insecure powers of the world call upon Breaker Morant to justify his “aggressive” actions. So be it:

Let us start at the beginning...

In the beginning, there was the firmament, and God bestowed upon man the gift of free will.

God, in her infinite wisdom, was somewhat haphazard about her placement of the people of the earth. Some were placed close together, where conflict could naturally erupt, and some secluded, where their isolation could ensure some kind of insular security, to those not of a warlike nature...

Some people were happy with what God gave them, and decided to make the most of what they were given. Others exercised their gift of free will to expand their territories into realms that would cause conflict with other peoples.

As an example for the simple, Australia and Wales have lived side by side, literally turns away from conflict, since the beginning of time. Neither overtly aggressive, nor overtly friendly. We developed a natural symbiosis, and lived side by side in mutual respect as God intended. Each knew, without even being told, where our borders lay.

Let us take another example... The Spanish...

In exercising their God given right of free will, they decided that the land that god bestowed upon them was not good enough for their people, and that they must push their settlements as far as they could, even if it meant conflict with other cultures.

Now we come to the point of contention. Australia asks only to be able to enjoy the land that was bestowed by the hand of God. A reasonable circumference from the starting point of our civilization... We were surprised when the town Las Matas was founded, mere steps away from our own settlers endeavours, even though it was so far from the Spanish capitol. We were outright astonished when soon after, a Spanish city appeared, in the heart of Australian territory, bordering two major trade centres.

These concerns were voiced, both in public and private communications, and the Spanish were politely asked to remove the offending settlements. This request was denied, as is their god given right, and all other forms of diplomatic compromise were also not to the tastes of the expansionist Spanish.

The scholars are indeed correct when they say that might is the last resort of the diplomat. To reinforce my political beliefs, I summoned a display of force around the offending town, for the combined purposes of reminding Spain that she was within the pulsing heart of Australia, and as a display that aggressive expansion is as untoward as open aggression. Indeed I warned her of my actions many turns in advance.

The Spanish responded by ambushing a target of convenience to show their resentment, although no shot had been fired by the Australians. The energy and cost involved in this political lesson has been immense. For this reason, and for the security of my borders I intend to occupy the city of Las Matas until the Spanish have shown due respect for the land that God, in her infinite wisdom, has given them, and not attempt colonisational assaults upon lands without their realms...

Breaker Morant
            “Shoot straight you Bastards”
            [This message has been edited by Stavros (edited January 23, 2001).]

Comment

Turn 73 --> Quinns

Esteemed Breaker Morant:

The Greek government understands the displeasure of Australia in finding a Spanish city had been built so close to one of their own, but asks that you consider whether your proposed response is proportionate to the situation.

The Spanish seem to have built Las Matas on unclaimed territory, while the Spanish city of Pontevedra seems to have been built without Spain's knowledge that Australia was so close.

It is true that Spain fired the first shot, but that shot was at a military unit well within what Spain believed to be their borders. And as you know, the appearance of so an formidable army as you sent to Pontevedra must have made Spain feel extremely threatened.

But you have had your "eye for an eye" with the destruction of the settler, so could you not let things end peacefully now? Spain's nearest city of Las Matas is far from your own, and the land inbetween is a sizable buffer zone. And Tomas de Torquemada of Spain has publicly agreed to accept such a peace if you were willing.

We in Greece hope that this war can end now, before more blood is spilled.

Xenophon

Comment

Turn to St. Jon ---

Comment

(out of turn)

Acting upon the request of Tomas de Torquemada to mediate the Australian-Spanish situation, Wales feels that some form of action needs to be taken.

We accept the claims by Breaker Morant that Spain had encroached upon soveriegn Australian territory, however certain aspects must be taken into account.

Pontevedra
                  The city's proximity to Australian heartlands is acknowledged. However, the city no longer exists, and so the issue is therefore resolved.

Las Matas
                  The city is not in close proximity to any known Australian city, and as Xenophon has pointed out, this area has already been acknowledged as unclaimed territory.

Intent
                  The intent of Spain cannot be deemed as anything but innocent in these circumstances. Neither Spain, nor any other nation for that matter, has been privy to any cartographic knowledge of where Australia's borders lie.

We acknowledge that the actions of Spain firing the first shot have not done anything to ease the situation, but they have only escalated an already volatile mix. Breaker Morant has admitted that Tomas de Torquemada was forewarned of an attack, and so it is hardly surprising that Spain acted in such a manner.

Australia was justified in her demands for the settlement at Pontevedra to be relocated, which has been done so. However, the forceable taking and occupying of Las Matas cannot be justified by the argument of territorial encroachment. It would only serve to feed the rumours of Australia hoping to gain scientific advances.

However, we cannot help but note that Australia's refusal to exchange cartographic knowledge and her raising of military readiness have only served to precipitate and prolong these unfortunate events.

Resolution
                  Wales now asks both nations to lay down their arms and live together in peace. The offending city of Pontevdra no longer exists, and Las Matas cannot be justifiably claimed as encroaching upon Austrlain territory.

We put it to you both to exchange maps, so that no further mistakes and disputes arise. When you both have knowledge of where each others cities lie, then a fair and just border can be agreed upon.

Cariad,
                  Demosthenes.
                  Messenger of Peace.

Cariad,
                  Demosthenes.
                  _____

Comment

Turn to Madrid.

My Children,

I am warmed at the worldwide call for peace and have prayed long and hard that my beloved Australian children should heed it. Embrace eachother so as to let your heartbeats mirge into but one pulse.

Oh blessed are you Demosthenes, for you have chosen to clasp the hands of both protagonists and try to draw them together. That a heathen should show such enlightenment gives me cause to hope for your very soul, hitherto ear-marked for eternal damnation, and even that one day you might lead your people out of the darkness and into the glorious light that is the way of the Lord.

St Jon, Tranquility amidst Turmoil.

------------------
                    "And I declared that the dead who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun."
                    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                    - Anon

Comment

The dawn of a new age has been ushered in with the completion of the London Exchange!

On a more important note...

It is with very great gratitude that Spain acknowledges the stirling work of Demosthenes in the name of peace!

There now follows Spain's official reply!

"Intent

The intent of Spain cannot be deemed as anything but innocent in these circumstances. Neither Spain, nor any other nation for that matter, has been privy to any cartographic knowledge of where Australia's borders lie."

We are delighted that we have been cleared of any malicious wrong-doing by the Welsh arbitration...!

How could we know that we were encroaching towards Australian land, if our requests at map exchanges were repeatedly refused!? This we made public - but to no avail!

We also thought that we had publicly settled our differences regarding Pontevedra amicably - Australia seemed mollified!

"We acknowledge that the actions of Spain firing the first shot have not done anything to ease the situation, but they have only escalated an already volatile mix. Breaker Morant has admitted that Tomas de Torquemada was forewarned of an attack, and so it is hardly surprising that Spain acted in such a manner."

Spain acted in accordance with the knowledge given at the time - we were not about to sit idly by while Australian armies invaded our territory and raided our cities for technology...

"Australia was justified in her demands for the settlement at Pontevedra to be relocated, which has been done so. However, the forceable taking and occupying of Las Matas cannot be justified by the argument of territorial encroachment. It would only serve to feed the rumours of Australia hoping to gain scientific advances."

Australia was NOT justified in attempting to take Pontevedra! The city of Pontevedra was STILL SOME DISTANCE away from the nearest Australian city - indeed we hear tale of Australia encroaching on Incan territory by building a city practically in the back yard of an Incan city! Is Australia not guilty of the same crime that she is accusing Spain of!?

If so, Spain believes this to be a dangerous double standard and does not expect to be forced to relinquish territory that was acquired in a fair manner...

"However, we cannot help but note that Australia's refusal to exchange cartographic knowledge and her raising of military readiness have only served to precipitate and prolong these unfortunate events."

Both of these events were happening long before Spain's so called encroachment...

"Wales now asks both nations to lay down their arms and live together in peace. The offending city of Pontevdra no longer exists, and Las Matas cannot be justifiably claimed as encroaching upon Austrlain territory.

We put it to you both to exchange maps, so that no further mistakes and disputes arise. When you both have knowledge of where each others cities lie, then a fair and just border can be agreed upon."

Spain is more than happy to turn the other cheek and accept peace for the original borders - Despite losing a whole city Spain is interested only in peace!

If this fair solution is satisfactory, Spain would be more than happy to be involved in a map exchange with our northern neighbour...

Peace to all!

Tomas de Torquemada

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Out of Turn ---

The Incans still have neither seen nor heard any "proof" of this "alleged" atrocity commited by the
                        Australians against the supposed defenseless refugees from Pontevedra. We await the report from our investigatory team sent to the reported crime scene awhile ago.

Quinns of the Inca

Comment

Turn 74 ==> Stavros

Does Australia accept Spains peace terms, or will Breaker Morant let his military juggernaut continue?

I am glad that the other nations of the world are joining together to find a workable solution to this series of events.

------------------
                          Cariad,
                          Demosthenes.
                          _____
                          Cariad,
                          Demosthenes.
                          _____

Comment

Out of Turn ---

A member of the Incan investigation team has returned to Cuzco with grim news. All of what Spain and Greece has said about the cowardly Australians is true. But worse. Even now the remaining members of the investigation team help the Spanish Red Cross to bury the 9,000 dead men, women, and children who were slaughtered in their tents while they slept. We assume these are the refugees from Pontevedra that Spain talked about earlier. How brave you are, Breaker Morant, to have your cowards slaughter the little children in their sleep!

I've been called by The Diplomatically Ignorant Breaker Morant the following names:

Coward
                            Bugger
                            Bastard
                            Insecure
                            Pillow Biter

To hell with you Breaker Morant you coward. I am sick of your crimes against humanity and gloating insults...

INCA DECLARES WAR AGAINST AUSTRALIA!

Quinns of the Inca

edit: Oh, and Stavros, you too can insert little happy smiley faces whenever you feel offended also!
                            [This message has been edited by quinns (edited January 25, 2001).]
                            [This message has been edited by quinns (edited January 25, 2001).]

Comment

Offer of war accepted Quinns.... For whatever reasons you feel in justifying yourself.... Ahhh. But... I didn't actually atack anyone... yet...

At least wait until I've invaded something before you accuse me of war crimes. The only military action so far was Spain killing my Phalanx, and Pontevedra disbanding itself.

But any excuse for a good scruff us OK. See you on the wrong side of my cannon Quinns....

Love, Breaker

(Coward... Ouch... that hurts... )
                              [This message has been edited by Stavros (edited January 25, 2001).]

Comment

Breaker,

There was nothing to "accept" or decline. You got your wish since the beginning. War it is, whether you accept it or not. The time for talk has long since past.

No, Breaker, you can't get out of it that easy. We have solid proof of your crimes against the Pontevedra refugees. Don't deny it. Your lies won't help you here. You will now pay for your dispicable direct order to butcher defenseless women and children.

(Notice little smiley faces. And Stavros, YOU aren't the "coward", it's that horrible Breaker Morant that you associate with time and again that I'm referring to. )

Comment

Working...
                                X