GP trading allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP trading allowed?

There were some people expressing that while they're pro libertarian, they oppose GP trading.

By default GP trading is allowed in game and in snoopy369's thread, so I'd like to ask for an argument why to disable it.
    Yea
    72.73%
    Nay
    9.09%
    A Banana Stain
    18.18%

The poll is expired.

-- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Yea for me
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Snoddasmannen wrote:

Cough Proper anarchists we are.

I don't know if GP trading should be allowed, I would want it disallowed it if it made the game less exciting. I will vote A on this poll, but it does not automatically follow that I want to allow GP trading.
      Apart from the rules about no choppers attacking and the rule covering revolted bases, there's nothing in there that is unusual. Personnaly, I was against the chopper restrictions, although for the revolting bases rule as it's possible for that to be a deliberate exploit. The chopper restrictions do nothing but hinder gameplay, limiting players choices (It's impossible to (suicide) attack a base further than 2x your aircraft move for example).

This restriction firmly falls into the chopper section. it limits choices, and needlessly so. Yes, choppers are a powerful tool, but so are GP. Restricting their use is not going to help, but only hinder creative players, or co-operative uses.

SMAC has always been about attacking in warfare. Exceedingly rarely does a defensive war work. It's usually just a war aiming to reduce the level of defeat. We play the game knowing that, and reducing attacking choices doesn't help IMO - nothing will help the defender if he's in a position where choppers can attack his bases so easily.

GP are similar, and yet also not. It is hard, or perhaps impossible, to win without producing them. So why limit their use in such a stupidly arbritrary fashion?

Edit: That means yes.
      Play hangman.

Comment

Snoddasmannen wrote:
        Cough Proper anarchists we are.
        I was thinking the exact thing.

Originally posted by Chaunk
        This restriction firmly falls into the chopper section. it limits choices, and needlessly so.
        Actually I'd say it increases choices, as now you can do other things than chop&drop and offensive wars.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Oh I just realized people are talking about Great People and not Gold Pieces.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

That Fried guy has really fried his brains.

Comment

Nah, he's just pulling his weight as a Civ veteran. That's all.

Too many Civplayers want this to be a clash of linear growth, grudgingly accepting the possible benefits terrain gives to other teams. Wild cards like GP's don fit in such a view.

You should have seen the ruckus when I seized on a "loophole" left in the ruleset of the Civ PBEM I participate in.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I feel like going into lurk mode.

People who chop off their own wings are losers.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin

QFT.
                  Play hangman.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                    Oh I just realized people are talking about Great People and not Gold Pieces.
                    Yes, let's trade coins with the germans, the english and the others ! If we are first to have atleast one coin of each civ, we might get lower city maintenance costs !

They do have a point about having more experience with it than I have. I might even agree with this rule to get the game going. I'm losing interest very fast this way. Civ-demogames have a whole different atmosphere than AC-demogames. But, they shouldn't keep inventing new prohibition rules whenever a new strategy comes up.

btw: They all are so opposed to GP trading, but a lot of them are part of the beta-testers right? So why didn't they bring the issue up during beta testing then?
                    no sig

Comment

They all are so opposed to GP trading, but a lot of them are part of the beta-testers right? So why didn't they bring the issue up during beta testing then?
                      Review the thread PJay, it's only an impression all are opposed.

There are some, like Fried, basically mostly he, whom everyone follow like sheep, that's it.

Comment

I have no strong opinion on whether to stop GP trading or not.

I have a fairly strong opinion about the "debate" thread but as I agree with you all on that there's no point expressing it

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin

Good thing ACDGIV starts soon

oh wait, the allies want to play 6 more months

I have no strong opinion on whether to stop GP trading or not.

I have a fairly strong opinion about the "debate" thread but as I agree with you all on that there's no point expressing it
                          Yeah, there is no conclusion being reached and no one is getting convinced of anything contrary to what they already felt. We should make a poll and decide.
                          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

With the complete agreement of everyone in the related threads, i dont see these polls as needed.

Our glorious people revel in our complete unity under Chairman bT

WLTCD*!!
                            *Thats a We Love The Chairman Day for you GAing popboomers
                            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Greetings Soren!

I have a personal question about cIV mechanics:

Is the trading of GP (Great People) been intended by the development team as possible and acceptable practice?

I hope Im not disturbing You much,
                              binTravkin
                              you mean between Civs in mp? I guess I don't see anything wrong with it per se... As long as both sides benefit, it's like any other type of trading...

Comment

Working...
                              X