• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And learn to love the guv.

And rally points.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Thes, if you want to play today just PM me a time, i'm here all day

I'd still be the blind leading the blind, but i'm happy to play
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Even the AI complains to me about how long I take over my turns. I'd never keep up with MP. Is there a way of playing SP but in an MP environment to practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
          Even the AI complains to me about how long I take over my turns. I'd never keep up with MP. Is there a way of playing SP but in an MP environment to practice?
          Yep, I've done it a few times. Go into the MP setup, choose LAN, and set up a game just you against AIs.

Below are some PMs between me and Dominae about it.

That said, communciation / cooordination are a big part of it. I'd be happy to play some with you (and it seems there are quite a few of us newbies around!).

I still intend to get some practice playing more MP over the coming week (and thereafter, I think). In the meantime, it occurred to me that I can play against AI civs on my own, albeit thus missing team communication/coordination. Do the following settings make sense as being not *too* far off from typical MP play?

Small
          Ancient
          Quick
          Aggressive AI
          Fast or Blazing

Comments welcome!!!

T

Yep, that looks good. Also try:

No Tech Trading
          Pangea, Team Battleground, Hub or Inland Sea
          100-turn Timer (to see how you do in a score victory)
          At least Monarch difficulty

Dominae
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Here is something I posted at MZO about the speed problem:

Hmmm.. automation. Grrr. Definitely the issue. Automate what though?

I certainly do have citizen automation on, and only rarely tweak it by using the emphasize buttons.

Automate production? Can't see it.

I can see manual control of, say, the first 2-3 Workers, with automation for those thereafter. That would definitely have saved time last night.

But the biggest problem I had was sheer number of combat units! I had a pretty sweet start, and two neighbors declared war on me fairly quickly (Swords/Axes). So, what's a warmonger to do? And there were still barbs running around. By the time I ended, I had 40-50 offensive Maces/Swords/Axes/Spears/Cats to manage (not to mention defense). I grouped many of them, but still, how the frig do you automate warfare?

(I admit I quit: I got annoyed getting beat up for taking too lonmg, and there was no question in my mind that I was going to roll over anyone left within striking distance. Left them with one heckuva nasty and well-prepared AI to deal with. )
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

snoopy, I'll PM you later.

Comment

Do you use the Stack Attack option? It lets you attack with one big stack of units (like, um, a stack of Cats) all in one go instead of individually. It's great time-saver generally, but it really shines right at the beginning of a turn where you want to hit a target before the other player has time to bring in reinforcements that are within range.

On a related note, stack management is very important. There's a bunch of keyboard shortcuts for this.
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Yes to stack attack. Also, using stack movement, but not much beside group like and group all... not using number keys for instance.

Still not too clear on the turn timing issues (you pointed this out in that tutorial session too).

Comment

Up for a game right now, if anybody's around.

Comment

Froze?

Comment

Doh.

Well, Arnelos and I saved the game so we can continue some other time. You were gettting hammered pretty good, but in MP one person usually does. Once we get Catapults and War Elephants we should be able to turn it around.
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Thanks... don;t know what happened. I hit F4, but I had used that screen last night.

Comment

Well I'd say the Gathering Storm was well-represented last night!

Dom/Theseus/me vs. Arnelos/ZargonX/Snoopy369. Big fun.

But I had no idea how much of a crapshoot MP connection is.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

(and, FYI, Dominae kicks ass)

Comment

Yeah, firaxians talk about how he was the first to beat deity... would get him on my team in MP if I could...
                                First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                                Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Working...
                                X