No announcement yet.

Irrigation through Hills with Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see any reason for it to be one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Yes, I can confirm it.

You can irrigate through a city built on a hill in Conquests.

I was rather surprised to find that out myself...

-Arrian
      Surprised?

I was surprised when I read that you were surprised, especially since I clearly remembered a PtW game (v1.27f) where I did exactly this.

Luckily I found the save, and after pillaging the irrigation that I had just set down through the hill city some turns earlier, you can clearly see that the worker can irrigate that grass tile. There is no nearby water except the coast, and I am on Printing Press (so no Electricity!). The game has not been modded in any way.

In fact, when I started searching for the save, I thought that perhaps this 'bug' had been in v1.21f, and been changed for the latest version. However, in whichever version I started this game in (99% certain v1.27f, remaining 1% chance of v1.21f) it was possible to irrigate through hill cities, and it is possible again when loaded into PtW v1.27f.

Any explanation to this, or has it ALWAYS been possible to irrigate through Hills?

Attached Files
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well, if you can place a city there, why not using the tile as a link in your irrigation network?

I like it, it helps the human a bit. The AI can irrigate everywhere, even before electricity. Which gives the peculiar strategy of waiting to capture a dry area until the AI has started with irrigation there...
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

There's something about that coast line that made me think. Without irrigating that tile, try moving your worker 8 of where it is now and see if you can irrigate that one. I might be wrong, but the game might consider the blob of water 9 of your current position to be a lake. I have seen such lakes in a lot of my games, since vanilla Civ3 to PTW 1.21f.
          The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
            The AI can irrigate everywhere, even before electricity.
            I'm quite certain that this is false.
            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

There is no nearby water except the coast, and I am on Printing Press (so no Electricity!).
              Not to nitpick, but researching Printing Press is not valid proof of not having Electricity since Printing Press is an optional tech.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. A. Cula
                There's something about that coast line that made me think. Without irrigating that tile, try moving your worker 8 of where it is now and see if you can irrigate that one. I might be wrong, but the game might consider the blob of water 9 of your current position to be a lake. I have seen such lakes in a lot of my games, since vanilla Civ3 to PTW 1.21f.
                I think you are correct. That blob of water is really a lake and that's why the grassland can be irrigated.

I'm just about positive that PTW 1.27f did not allow irrigation through hilled cities.

- TT

Comment

Nice theory but I looked at the save with PTW and it doesn't look like a lake:
                  Attached Files

Comment

It's not a lake because the tile SE of it is not a land tile.
                    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

BTW, in C3C the definitions of "lake" have changed. A "sea" tile doesn't invalidate a "lake" anymore.

Comment

That is odd. Is Heliopolis definitely built on a hill (looks like it, but I'm running out of ideas here).

I was pretty sure that PTW 1.27 did not allow irrigation through hill cities, but I suppose it's possible that it got changed and I never noticed...

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Dominae, I am pretty sure I have seen lots of irrigated tiles in funny places inside AI territory. I'm going to check a few saves before I call it a fact though..
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I have never seen a proven case of the AI irrigating where it shouldn't be able to. Not once.

I've seen a lot of claims that were proven false, however.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I tried to irrigate over a hill city in PTW and it didn't work. I was really suprised when it was an option to my Worker in Conquests. I don't have the latest PTW patch though so it may have been recently added via patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                                That is odd. Is Heliopolis definitely built on a hill (looks like it, but I'm running out of ideas here).

-Arrian
                                Confirmed. It is definitely on a hill. The worker cannot irrigate either North or south of that tile, It seems pretty evident that it is only being next to the city that provides the irrigation source.

Any other takers?
                                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                                X