Irrigation through Hills with Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrigation through Hills with Cities?

Under PTW, Hills and Mountains blocked irrigation. Period. There was no way (before discovering Electricity) to get water across a hill/mountain line.

Under C3C, I think it is different. Playing a game of Conquests the other day, I could have sworn I irrigated a plains on the other side of a hill city. In other words, the city allowed the water to cross the hill.

It wasn't until later in the game when I was looking a the bare map (ctrl-shift-M) that I noticed this anomaly. Can anyone confirm this or do I have to go through my old save games?

Thanks.
    - TT

Yes, I can confirm it.

You can irrigate through a city built on a hill in Conquests.

I was rather surprised to find that out myself...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I think I spotted the same thing.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Yes you definitely can. Startled me too.

Comment

It's another of those bugs that were fixed somewhere in PTW but have appeared again in C3C for whatever reason.

Catt

Comment

I was surprised by this too. It can be quite useful.

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me and see no reason to change it. Would'nt a city have a means to move water from one side of its sprawl to another?
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

It's another of those bugs that were fixed somewhere in PTW but have appeared again in C3C for whatever reason.

Catt

Ahh, so it is a bug and not by design?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Catt

Ahh, so it is a bug and not by design?
                  I guess I'd probably agree with ChrisiusMaximus that it seems an interesting design decision (provided the AI could utilize it effectively).

But I think it is most probably a bug -- it cropped up in PTW (perhaps the release version) and was changed back to the "no irrigation" functionality we're used to in a subsequent patch.

Catt

Comment

Thanks.
                    Could be quite usefull on certain (badly generated?) maps.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Im in a 80% islands pbem at the moment and have a whole bunch of plains that could do with the water. If only it weren't for that pesky hill
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        Thanks.
                        Could be quite usefull on certain (badly generated?) maps.
                        It's quite useful for the Aztecs and Maya in Age of Discovery.

Comment

Yep. The Aztecs start on a hill.

But I always thought you could irrage over if you built your city on a hill and the hill is only 1 tile wide (ie you have plains/grassland on either side).

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                            Im in a 80% islands pbem at the moment and have a whole bunch of plains that could do with the water. If only it weren't for that pesky hill
                            I don't know why you're complaining. At least you HAVE water! Water is very scarce in that game.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the confirmation and comments. I just wanted to make sure that what I was seeing was indeed a general feature/bug and not unique to my specific situation.

Personally, I kind of like the old way. It makes the game more interesting (in my mind at least) to have the extra challenge of "dry areas". Also, there are enough things in Civ3 that promote artificial city placements as it is.

I will take advantage of it while its there, though.

Happy Holidays.

- TT

Comment

Working...
                              X