BRC's game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRC's game

The purpose of this thread is not only to comment on BRC's game as Cleopatra, but to discuss our underlying playstyles. So, if you think your "style" warrants mention, speak up!

BRC, I hope you don't mind that I created this new thread and posted a few screenshots...Let me know if you do.

There are four comments I'd like to make on this first shot:

1. Defenders

Given that enemy forces can only move 1 or 2 tiles per turn inside your borders, it will take them a minimum of 3 turns to reach either Memphis or Alexandria. This is more than enough time to muster a significant defense agains the AI (since their "sneak" attacks usually only include a couple of units). Your Musketmen are more valuable on the front, where they might actually see battle. My military is small because I use almost all my military units in every campaign.

2. Irrigation

Unless you've got a very good reason, all Grassland tiles should have mines on them. Food is important at the beginning of the game, but after expansion you can never have too many Shields.

3. Spacing

A disadvantage of the "perfect" city spacing that you appear to be using is that it leaves gaps between clusters. Consider the unused tiles between Giza, Alexandria, Memphis and Heliopolis. If you're spacing is a little tighter, you will have overlap, but then again you will be using all tiles inside your borders. Plus, you'll more cities overall.

4. Tundra

That unclaimed land to the South is admittedly not very good real estate, but I would build cities there anyway. You're most certainly over the OCN, so a few extra cities won't hurt. Remember that Barbarians can come out of the darkness at any stage of the game. Also, the AI has an annoying tendency to claim any unused land, no matter how far from their homeland. Claim it yourself ASAP.
    Attached Files
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Another set of comments with a screenshot:

5. Expansion

Personally, I always try to expand as long as there is availalble land, usually in the direction of the other civs. The large area of unclaimed land is a perfect chance to expand your empire. Don't worry about founding cities while at war, if you're winning there's no way the enemy is going to capture them. Your border cities, while not very productive, should at least be good military bases from which to attack the next target (Babylon, in this case). To this end, I often rush Barracks, Harbors, Temples and even Walls in my border towns. The longer you wait to expand, the fewer turns you have those extra cities under your control. Universities are great, cities are better (even corrupt ones).

6. Conquest

The other civs on your continent are weak compared to you. This may be because you've focused on scientific and economic improvements, but mostly probably it's due to your larger land area. When the AI is weak, that's a good time to strike. There is fine balance between knowing when to fight and knowing when to build, but in this case you can probably clear your continent without construction another building. My suggestion is therefore to hit Military Tradition, mass-produce Cavalry until you're the master of your domain. After that, build boats, conquer the Iroquois, game over. In this game, you're powerful enough that the choice between warmongering and building doesn't really matter, but when the AI is strong, you'll usually want to go on the offensive.

7. FP

Your Palace and Forbidden Palace placements are really good. I assume you built the FP by hand and rushed the Palace with a Leader. Good work! One thing you may want to consier is moving your Palance again, up towards the Babylonians. This will allow you to get those future cities up and running. The downside is that you lose the productivity of a few cities for a while. Also, you need to blow a Leader, which may or may not be an option.
    Attached Files

Comment

A final post:

8. Wonders

Yup, you're a Wonder freak! Now ask yourself: if you'd spent all those Shields on Knights, how much more of your continent would you control by now? I believe the answer is: "a lot", and that's good enough for me. All those Wonders are certainly useful, but mostly just icing on the cake at this point. In particular, the combination of J.S Bach's Cathedral, the Sistine Chapel and 7 of the 8 Luxuries is excessive. Unless you need to be in WLTKD for some reason, it's enough to have more Happy citizens than Unhappy ones (to prevent Civil Disorder).

All this said, you're having a fine game and definitely doing a lot of things right. Seriously make the jump to Emperor...my comments will make a lot more sense, then.

Dominae
      Attached Files

Comment

Makes sense to me Dominae. That Tundra could be the best source of oil and I surely find it easier colonize it than to conquer it after they build there. I prefer to not allow anyone on my land mass, as later they can use that as a staging area to sent in lots of troops. Once you have the whole land mass, they have to land troops and get pounded.

Comment

vmxa1, good points, as usual. I always forget about Oil, yet always seem to have some because I colonize every inch of land. And yes, if the AI has a city on your continent, it knows to land all its forces there, then attack (another thumbs up to Soren).

Dominae

Comment

First, Thanks.

Given that enemy forces can only move 1 or 2 tiles per turn inside your borders, it will take them a minimum of 3 turns to reach either Memphis or Alexandria. This is more than enough time to muster a significant defense agains the AI (since their "sneak" attacks usually only include a couple of units). Your Musketmen are more valuable on the front, where they might actually see battle. My military is small because I use almost all my military units in every campaign.
            I agree that this is the first thing to change. These cities do not need defenders in them, and I have no intention of going back to needing MP's. Would it be good to have a few horsies (depending on era) running around back here too, or are the defenders in the border cities enough to prevent attacks?

My suggestion is therefore to hit Military Tradition, mass-produce Cavalry until you're the master of your domain.
            This is the plan. I already have an empty army waiting for 3 Cavs. Do you think that I should have done this earlier with knights?

Your Palace and Forbidden Palace placements are really good. I assume you built the FP by hand and rushed the Palace with a Leader. Good work! One thing you may want to consier is moving your Palance again, up towards the Babylonians. This will allow you to get those future cities up and running. The downside is that you lose the productivity of a few cities for a while. Also, you need to blow a Leader, which may or may not be an option.
            I received an early leader, and was able to build the HE pretty early. Leaders have come pretty quickly in this game. I have been able to keep my elites more protected due to the mountainous terrain up north.

Unless you've got a very good reason, all Grassland tiles should have mines on them. Food is important at the beginning of the game, but after expansion you can never have too many Shields.
            I guess I still need a little more help with this. My goal is to get up to 12 pop as quick as possible. That is why I have some irrigation. Later, then I can use the every tile in the city. I only want enough irrigation for this. Am I overestimating the amount of irrigation needed to get and keep the city at size 20?

A disadvantage of the "perfect" city spacing that you appear to be using is that it leaves gaps between clusters. Consider the unused tiles between Giza, Alexandria, Memphis and Heliopolis. If you're spacing is a little tighter, you will have overlap, but then again you will be using all tiles inside your borders. Plus, you'll more cities overall.
            In this game, I finally broke down and started overlapping 1 and 2 squares. I cringe with anymore than that, but I realize how valuable those squares could be, especially next to my FP.

That unclaimed land to the South is admittedly not very good real estate, but I would build cities there anyway. You're most certainly over the OCN, so a few extra cities won't hurt. Remember that Barbarians can come out of the darkness at any stage of the game. Also, the AI has an annoying tendency to claim any unused land, no matter how far from their homeland. Claim it yourself ASAP.
            Just as a side note, the game is with Sedentary Barbs. When I usually leave land aside like that, the AI swoops in. That hasn't happened yet. Normally, I let them build and at somepoint the city flips to me. If not then I take it by force. You believe it is better to just claim it? Should I space these cities fairly close together, as they will not grow?

The other civs on your continent are weak compared to you.
            I have been trimming all of them back. The Ottomans started right next to me and I went after them immediately. I made peace once, and then finished them off after 20 turns. Then on to the Romans and the Greeks to secure luxuries and resources. The Carthaginians finished off the Greeks, which is why I am currently at war with them. They were beginning to get a little to close to me. The Babylonians actually were looking tough until I found out that their whole army was made up of bowmen. I sent some Knights in and pillaged a luxury or two and maybe some iron. I took 2 or 3 cities, got a leader, got some workers. You think it's time to go for the kill?

Do you think that I would be in a better position (with regard to the Iroquois) if I would have just assaulted my continent with the Knights?
            The end of the game is not in doubt anymore, but I think that I will play this through to the modern ages. How effective is precision bombing??? Thank you very much Dom.

Comment

Makes sense to me Dominae. That Tundra could be the best source of oil and I surely find it easier colonize it than to conquer it after they build there. I prefer to not allow anyone on my land mass, as later they can use that as a staging area to sent in lots of troops. Once you have the whole land mass, they have to land troops and get pounded.
              Ok. I will go ahead with the colonization of the tundra right away.
              Thanks for your input.

And yes, if the AI has a city on your continent, it knows to land all its forces there, then attack (another thumbs up to Soren).
              I was not aware of this. I have yet to come up against a real "invasion" by the AI. If this is true, then it would definately make sense to keep the AI's cities away from yours. Especially without troops in the interior cities.

Yup, you're a Wonder freak! Now ask yourself: if you'd spent all those Shields on Knights, how much more of your continent would you control by now? I believe the answer is: "a lot", and that's good enough for me. All those Wonders are certainly useful, but mostly just icing on the cake at this point. In particular, the combination of J.S Bach's Cathedral, the Sistine Chapel and 7 of the 8 Luxuries is excessive. Unless you need to be in WLTKD for some reason, it's enough to have more Happy citizens than Unhappy ones (to prevent Civil Disorder).
              Which ones do you think are unneccesary? I agree that I will have a lot of content citizens, but I almost feel like Copernicus should be the first to go. And then since I'm religious and I like cathedrals, probably Bachs. Does this make it a little more realistic? A leader was also responsible for one of these, although I probably would have gotten it anyway.

I have never really figured how much WLTKD is helping production. Does anyone know a percent value?? My main goal in the game is to get in control of as many luxuries as possible. The trade that I have going with the Aztecs helps asure that they can stay alive to compete with the Iroquois. I try to keep the AI's in balance.

Comment

BRC, re towns on the tundra, you just want to get your borders covering the land. No need for a dense build there, as their productivity will be minimal anyway. According to the corruption nazi (alexman), your corruption will take another hit when you reach 1.5 times the OCN. The price you pay when you approach domination, and well worth the trouble, too.

I also prefer to keep reserves, garrisoning at least most of my interior cities. Who knows when you will be forced to change governments, counter an invasion, etc. To some extent, it can be the way you WANT to run your civ as opposed to playing for efficiency, at least for me. Throwbacks from Civ2, I guess.

I know what you mean with the Wonders, I like to have ALL my people happy, too! It adds a bit to your score, in case you're counting. Besides, unless you own them yourself, you never know when some of those luxuries may be absent for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by BRC
                  I guess I still need a little more help with this. My goal is to get up to 12 pop as quick as possible. That is why I have some irrigation. Later, then I can use the every tile in the city. I only want enough irrigation for this. Am I overestimating the amount of irrigation needed to get and keep the city at size 20?
                  Two different issues there. Growing "as quick as possible" requires irrigation. But "getting and keeping a city at size 20" requires very little irrigation (and sometimes none at all) [EDIT: when the map gives you wide expanses of grasslands, as has happenede here]. Rememeber that cities always enjoy a 2-food surplus from the get go (the city center) and so will be default grow unless the only available tiles are terrible.

Just looking at the screenshots posted, you seem to have a lot of flatlands -- lots of grasslands and plains, fewer hills and mountains (this is a 5 billion year map, yes?). In the age of RR (when hospitals also arrive, allowing city growth above 12) even irrigated desert produces 2 food -- enough to support a working citizen. The only instance you would ever need any irrigation (other than desert) is when there are tundra (0 food, but convertible to forest for 1 food), hills (1 food) and mountains (0 food) within the city radius. Even a few hills, tundra or mountains might be workable without irrigation if you have a bonus resource like wheat, cows or game in the city. Absent bonus resources, an irrigated, RR'd grassland produces 4 food - enough to support two hill-workers or one mountain worker.

The screenshots posted above indicate to me that you could probably grow each city to size 20 with no more than one irrigated tile (if any) in each of the cities within view. You could have virtually the entire subcontinent mined if you so desired (wouldn't exactly look pretty, but that's someone else's rant ).

Catt

Comment

Jaybe: Perfectly clear. Thank you.

Just looking at the screenshots posted, you seem to have a lot of flatlands -- lots of grasslands and plains, fewer hills and mountains (this is a 5 billion year map, yes?).
                    Nope. 4 Billion. I swear. I was suprised at how well the surrounding terrain cooperated. I was also suprised by the lack of resources. I can usually find them a lot easier.

You could have virtually the entire subcontinent mined if you so desired (wouldn't exactly look pretty, but that's someone else's rant ).
                    I like the look of mining!

Absent bonus resources, an irrigated, RR'd grassland produces 4 food - enough to support two hill-workers or one mountain worker.
                    I'm a bonehead. I need to start remembering this. The only thing that saves me is my mass amounts of captured workers. I have about 80 in this game. After RR, I will go back and mine again. Thank you. Tell Deep O I won't mine the shielded ones if I have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BRC
                      Tell Deep O I won't mine the shielded ones if I have a choice.
                      Ha! Someone has been doing their reading...

'Poly is a great place to improve your game; I expect to see your report on AU 202.

Dominae

Comment

'Poly is a great place to improve your game; I expect to see your report on AU 202.
                        So true! I have chosen the Mongols. I'm gonna try out a little bit of what I saw in your game. Create a new hybrid strategy. BTW, this is my first game with an expansionist civ.

Comment

Can someone tell me how to post a screenshot save???

Comment

Originally posted by BRC
                            Can someone tell me how to post a screenshot save???
                            Do a screen capture, either using special software or the 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard. Plop the image into an editor, and reduce it to 800x600 (or less). Save it as a JPEG, GIF, or whatever other format 'Poly likes (they appear under the 'Attach File' section when you compose a new post). Make sure the file is under 500000 bytes. Using the Attach File option just mentioned. 'Poly will embed the image into the body of your message.

Dominae

Comment

BRC,

I just have to make the observation... you just started postng frequently here relatively recently, and MAN DO YOU KNOW YOUR SH-T!!

What'd you do, lurk since the beginning of the year??

Seriously, very impressed.

From what I've read / seen of your gameplay, I only have three comments:

1) Try tighter city placement.

2) Continue your journey to the Dark Side.

3) You are totally ready for Emporer.

Good stuff.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X