No announcement yet.

Ducki went Regent... How'm I doin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That advice on arties is correct you could use more or suffer loses of MA. It is really a matter of taste/style at this point. Sometimes I just jam in the MA and take losses, others sent bombers and arty. Is the game modded? I ask as I made an MPP with India and sent all MA's over to Edo to attack China. I made some jets as the spy revealed they had 8-10 bombers. If you have fast moving MA's you can over run the bombers. I refused to renew the coal deal to hurt China and redid the lux with India (you gave 2 for 1) and they paid and gave a lux as they needed it worse. I let the peace with China lapse and went to give them a talking to. The game hung right after India declared war on China? It was not responding, so I figured this could be a mod. I think it could have been fun as China was between India and you. I also figured that even if it went really bad the most that could happen is the lost a those few cities and it would cost China big time. I would just flat raze any city that was captured. I put a number of cities with airports on making MA. They now have hospitals and factories. One more point is without 5 hospitals, no Battle Field. True this late it not a big deal. India looked a little weaker military wise. They won't be keeping up in research any longer after the cities get moving. BTW it hung three times in a row the same way.

Comment

Ah yes, razing is good. Depending on the situation, I sometimes like to do a delayed raze. I take and keep the city so that my reinforcements are less affected by the culture borders of my enemy allowing me to move faster to destroy cities. With a large enough army of MA (sometimes arties) I can take 4-5 cities in one turn. Then I abandon the cities that are no longer needed for the movement bonus. Sure I miss out on the workers, but at this point the workers wont be very useful and a blitz attack like above moves quick so your war can be shorter.
      badams

Comment

Are you guys still playing this one???
        (damned, I achieved domination victory early 1830 )
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

With the new sav at 1898, there's a new challenge!

And more strategy to be discussed
          badams

Comment

No were are not playing it, Ducki is. I do not know how much time he has to play. Me I have all day and would finsh in one setting, if I stuck to it and not played another game. He may have even restarted to try another tactic, anyway it is not important, if he is having fun. BTW you did a great job.
            Ducki, before it hung, I had also sent all the calv units around Edo to the saltpetter to cut the roads and maybe draw fire. If they were not killed Iwould have sent them out to destroy lux/resources and bonus tiles.

Comment

I think I already have Battlefield Med.

I am still playing, but I'm interspersing my playtime with new game starts - it's just so tedious now.

Some of the cities are lacking improvements based on someone's advice of Barracks+Temple+Wealth for very corrupt cities, some are just either moving slow or on a slower Reinforcement Building schedule. After so long, I just can't manage the cities, so some I've frozen at lower populations on purpose, which I'm sure is helping India.

Also, this is my first time to play this far into the tech tree, so I'm bumbling about quite a bit with research choices and catching up on improvements, etc.

I do like the artillery because I can rebuild a temple really quick or rush it and I don't really care about the conquered cities being overly productive, just that they take up space and give me highspeed travel.
              I wish there was a way to tell an entire stack to bombard until all defenders are at 1 hp - to avoid both tedium of "B" + Click 20 times AND to not unduly destroy improvements.
              Once I have MA I think I'll just see about destroying India - the end game is awfully time consuming and unless India get lucky and launch the SS, I don't think it's possible for them to win.

I think I have sufficient power and production and money to prevent the SS, making victory just a matter of picking the right spots to strike, like luxuries, resources, etc.

Good call on the use for Cav - I was just going to use them as cannon fodder, worker capturers, city garrisons if needed, and of course, Pillagers. I have a couple of Elites that I'd try to generate leaders with, but probably not on Infantry fortified in a town, even when Bombarded to 1 hp. That just seems wasteful.
              "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

You can not have the BM small wonder, without 5 hospitals built. You are thinking of MA or Epic. Like I said, it is all good as long as you are having fun. Many tactics will work, some better than others, it depends on your goals. I do not have a problem with just temples in +1 cities and a barracks in the front lines. I would say that the core cities, must be managed to get more out of them. You may not need the max, but as you move up you will, may as well get in the habit. You can be a bit cavalier with the rest of the empire, once you get in the lead. If you have all improvements in place when available in the core cities, you would be in the tech lead now and not worried about space ships or nukes. Good hunting.

Comment

you should check out the one I'm playing now

settings: deity(first time)
                  pangea (got stuck on an island though)
                  victory: all but diplo (IIRC )
                  Attached Files
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

ducki, sounds like too much micro management for your tastes. you might consider letting the computer manage the population or production in those cities you have no energy for.

I agree with you and you should be powerful enough to stop India and China from building the SS. What victory condition are you hoping for?

never been in modern age before? sounds like you've never gotten a spaceship victory. if you wanted, you probably could beat India and China to building the spaceship. Just prebuild the components in your cities to build them as soon as you aquire the tech. You have a good enough tech lead so that you'll wind up getting the techs ahead of your opponents with enough time.

It's not the temple we hope isn't destroyed in artillery fire, all culture buildings will be destroyed when you take the enemy city. It's the other improvements: harbors, airports, marketplaces, banks, factories, etc. that are nice to have intact. But vxma is right. it's just a matter of style. Some people like to build their capital on one continent and the FP on the other. Me, I prefer to keep my core cities on the homeland and have a few satellite cities on the other continent for luxuries and airports.

when you do attack India, expect a long, slow war. MAs vs. Mech Inf is slow. You should win, but I doubt it will be a quick war. And it will be time consuming - I mean you may end up starting to take 10-15 minutes a turn with all the units the both of you will be throwing at each other.

good luck
                    badams

Comment

alva848, I saw you had posted it on another thread. I will check it out when I finish the non civ game I am playing. I am taking a break from civ for a few days so when PTW comes out I will not be fried. Need a week away from it or so, else I will be sick of civ before I even try PTW.

Comment

I looked at it and it seems you did not get a lot of breaks on the lux or the resources. Big whole now. When you saw that you had no saltpetter, did you decide to not go back for Knight becasue of the lack of iron or were you planning to not use them regardless?
                        I ask as you may have been able to trade for iron for a one time deal. It would be hard, though as you have little to offer. At least war is raging else where. It would be a very unpleasant experience to see China show with Riders about now.
                        I checked on China and they want almost as much for Iron as for saltpetter. It will be a bugger to come up with the money to upgrade.
                        Lots of luck to you. I did not even see much lux in the scan of the map.

Comment

I did have iron, but only for a couple of turns
                          I sold it to the Germans for a couple of tech
                          ( couldn't do much with it at the time anyway, but then it dissapeared have way through the deal (wich off-course made them p*ssed)

That global war has only started very recently. Before it I was planning on invading Persia, but now???

My options:
                          1. Persia: doable, but: it will trigger a war with Germany
                          2. Iroquois: to far for replacements, and it will trigger a war with china
                          3. Germany: best option IMO, close and they are weakened, but this will trigger a war with Persia and there are no big rewards (no lux or strategic resources), unless I'm able to get to Berlin
                          And all of this without Iron or slatpeter

Comment

Yup, it was homely. It will not be fun to take horsemen and attack cities with muskets or maybe even soon rifles. If China is involved they probably have Riders, a very nasty unit at that stage. It should just chew up horses and spearmen. Ugly indeed. If you make the trade for saltpetter, you can start up some calv and hope to upgrade a few horsemen. I think it is 100 gold to go from horsemen to calv and 80 to knights. That is why I like chivalry, only 20 to go from knight to calv.

Comment

Well, a couple of turns later , and I'm still alive things are even looking up .
                              I'm about to invade Germany who's at war with everyone right now except the Iroquois who seem to have dissapeared .

I'm still upgrading, but plan take a city in a turn or two. 20+ cavalry should to the trick.
                              The germans are probably pretty bad beaten up anyway, or so I hope.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to be thread jacking here Ducki.
                                Alva, yes you got a chance to get in a few licks on Germany. Without espionage it is hard to say how China is set up. The thing that can happen in spots like this is the big dog decides to not let you in the sand box and things get ugly very fast. China likely has a lots of Riders and calv to drop on someone, if it chooses to. What did they get for the saltpetter? high 50's per turn or low 60's?

Comment

Working...
                                X