Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ledj
    replied
    I had an impression that if you use your elite uu to win a battle you had a better chance of getting a leader. Did any one had a similar experience?

Leave a comment:

• kmrmjm
    replied
    Just an observation .... but leaders appear to be pretty powerful things - wonder completion, army creation - and you can only obtain them by warfare.

Not played many games yet , but this seems to be a pretty harsh thing if you decide to play a peaceful game and not use the military option at all.

Are there actually any bonuses to not being at war ? In the older games didn't being pacifistic improve your score ?

There seems to be no reason not to be militaristic and obnoxious ( like the russians,germans ) in this .

Kev

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied
    Leaders from defensive battles

I just thought I'd mention that I have gotten a leader from a defensive battle. If I recall correctly (this happened a few weeks ago) it was a Bab. bowman defending vs. and Impi. Just so ya know.

Also, I was playing around with one of my first Monarch games (the first few went... poorly) and decided to go back, via the autosave, and do something a bit differently. The autosave I chose happened to coincide with my seige of Athens. The first time around, I took the city without incident. This time, however, I must have varied something, because I got a leader. This seems to support what Hurry is saying. If it is the case, just don't exploit it.

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

• rah
    replied
    Jeeze, if that's it, I can see all the reseters cheering now.

If they have a stack of vet and elite units doing an attack and one of their vets wins and gets upgraded, just reset and do the attack with an elite unit, instant leader.

At least this should be easy to verify. God, I hope it's not that predictable.

RAH

Leave a comment:

• 9 ECAC Titles
    replied
    > My (very limited) testing showed that en elite unit got a Leader each time another unit would have been upgraded. However, if I already had got one, nothing would happen after my elite won (even if a veteran would be upgraded).

I don't quite follow this. Are you saying that once a given elite unit has generated a leader then that particular unit can't generate another one?

Leave a comment:

• Hurry
    replied
    I did a bit of testing. As you know, if you reload the random seed will be the same as last time. So, if you get a Leader, you will get one if you reload and try again. My (very limited) testing showed that en elite unit got a Leader each time another unit would have been upgraded. However, if I already had got one, nothing would happen after my elite won (even if a veteran would be upgraded).

This leads to the conclusions:

* The probability of getting a Leader is less if you recently got one.
    * Getting a Leader corresponds with upgrading. However, the actual probability is unknown to me. One would believe that the probability is higher for upgrading than for Leader-spawning, but my results show an equal probability.

Leave a comment:

• Capt Dizle
    replied
    i am sorry man

I was just trolling with the John Paul Jones thing. A hoax. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• inca911
    replied
    Capitals and Leaders

I had two leaders created when I took 2 enemy capitals (the first time I took each one's capital). Most likely it is just coincidence, but I now make sure that an Elite unit is the one to defeat the last defender and enter the capital (just in case).

Leave a comment:

• Kinjiru
    replied
    You can definitely have more than one leader at a time. I have had upto three at once and I have seen the AI (Russians) have five at once, including three created in the same turn.

Leave a comment:

• MadWombat
    replied
    Well, I have had plenty of leaders so far, but I have noticed one thing; I don't think you can have more than one leader at a time. In my game, I decided the time was ripe to kill everyone (ie, I discovered synth fibres, and no one else had ecology yet....).

One of my first combats netted me a leader. I kept that leader for the rest of the game, and never made another. This was after destroying three civilizations completely (and yes, I always make optimal use of elite units).

I have never gotten a defensive leader, but apparently, from this thread, they do happen. =]

I DO get leaders from battles that aren't close (ie, still at 5 pts, and get a leader), and also from beating on weaker enemies (my modern armour hit a spearman and gave me a leader).

Leave a comment:

• Nadexander
    replied
    Originally posted by LaRusso
    btw...naval units cannot get you a leader, right?
    I beleive someone on this board posted that they got a leader after winning with an elite battleship (John Paul Jones of the Americans). No common, but possible.

Leave a comment:

• 9 ECAC Titles
    replied
    I believe the stat quoted (from the properties file) was that it was about 1/16 without the army-improving wonder (I forget which it is), and then 1/12 with it, with numbers a little better for the Militarist Civs.

Contrary to what I've been reading, I've found almost all my leaders were generated fairly early (say, late middle ages), but this tends to be when there are closer battles. In the modern age, you are often either way ahead or way behind.

In my current game on Monarch, I launched several half-assed assaults on opp cities with superior, but too few, units. These were done in by a combination of typically bad luck on my cannon bombardment, atypically bad luck on head-2-head, and really bad strategy by me splitting and resplitting until I needed to depend on say 4 or 5 cav taking out 2 rifle defenders (possible, but not something you want to depend upon, esp. when the rifle are behind city walls). I got creamed, but when I finally got around in a few turns to taking those cities, damn near every one had someone popped out a leader (and then, inexplicably, not cashed them in).

Leave a comment:

• Hurry
    replied
    If only elites can get leaders, and militaristic civs advance unit ranks faster, and leaders produce wonders, I think I wanna restart my game....
    Yes, only elites can produce leaders.

Some of you say that you have got leaders after defending. This has never happened to me - all my leaders (as well as all enemy leaders) have shown up after a successful *attack*. Of course. this i probably just coincidence. since you will use elites for attacking more than defending.

Someone mentioned (in another thread) that there is a 1/16 chance of producing a leader. Any facts to prove this?

Leave a comment:

• Thunderfire
    replied
    Hmm yes it is very likely that tough battles will produce more leader
    atleast my last game with the americans suggests this. This was on
    monarch difficulty doing my best to defend Leeds form hordes of aztec
    swordsman and longbowman. That town produced 3 great leaders
    in 5 turns...

Leave a comment:

• Fidel
    replied
    russians and germans give me leaders. late greeks too, in some massive tank battles. however, i got absolutely none of them with babs (whole game) and indians. since indians are currently in some massive world war....it can happen. btw...naval units cannot get you a leader, right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X