No announcement yet.

5th Destroyer Squadron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another twist that throws one off the plot there Paddy! Most intrigueing, most intrigueing.

Cracking stuff this, keep up the good work
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

---------------------------------------------
      Thanks Chris,

I was not sure how this story is being taken???

I am trying very hard to keep it apart from Dispatches.

I have so much that I want to get out with this story, yet we
      have such a cracking pace in the other etc...

Anyway, thank you for your feedback,
      much required on this piece.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

I don't know about this. I dig the pacific war one better. You got enough ships in this though? YOu can take some losses and not care.
        Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

----------------------------------------------------------
          Two seperate games... two seperate stories....

If Dispatches had of started before I started this, then this would still be on my PC hard Drive....

This one is killing me though.... Now that it is started, I so want to get it finished, but I do not just want to close it....

Yes, I had built a massive fleet, their cities were mainly on the coast, and so far away...

Maybe I can loose some, but it is not easy to take...

And I like watching the big boats turn to the side and open up on the enemy...
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

YOu like navy don't you? Why don't you add in new ships like I mentioned before? There are some really cool custom ones especially a couple of older dreadnaught models which look quite real. Also, I quadrupled the prices of ships in my game (although I almost never actually play civ) and gave them better stats like proper bombard ability and hit points for the bigger ships (+1 CV, +1 CA, +2 BB, +3 super BB like Yamato and Iowa).
            Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Yes, I do want to add these in, and they should be soon.

It is all a matter of juggling time - family / games / work / mods...

and thank you for the link, much appreciatted.

I am curious how you are finding the various angels of this story?
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

The convoy was moving along at a good clip, there was only another 47 kilometers to go. General Noni Beed and her staff were hurrying to make a staff meeting that was called in Heidleburg. Her new promotion to the Operation staff of the 2nd Army of Occupation was a mixed blessing. With troops dug in thoughout the captured lands, with the Horde rampaging all along the line, this was not a job to wish for, and she knew it.

The 200 Kilometer journey had so far been very uneventful, allowing, most of the staff to either read more reports, or catch up on some much need sleep. Attacking the Hordeland certainly was not a boring experience.

The convoy consisted of 3 hardened battle wagons for the staff to travel in, 4 scout patrol vehicles, and two overhead choppers, one keeping a low profile directly over the convoy, the other running at short bursts in differing directions.

In an un expected move the first scout vehicle cleared the mines buried just under the layed tar on the highway, the 2nd scout vehicle was not so lucky. It was lifted off the ground with such a blast that it hit the helicopter as it tried to manouevour away.

The various drivers tried many different ways to get out of this situation, but they did not have a chance, within moments for a distance of 300 meters back along the road mines suddenly lit up the sky.
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Any more coming Paddy?

Comment

----------------

Good question Miss Remick, yes a good question.

There is plenty in the cupboard for this story...

I will post some more tonight.... honest injun

----------------
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

DD RN Bandit
                      Admiral John O’Malley sat in his Bridge chair aboard the ‘DD RN Bandit,’ surveying his ordered world. Six of his crew were pulling duty on the bridge this fine morning. The life of a Naval operator could not be better than this, a very ship shape Destroyer beneath his seat, a squadron of His Majesties finest Destroyers deployed along side and behind him, a clear horizon and a mug of the CPO Green’s brew in his hand. Yes, all the hallmarks of a great day.

“Now to just see that all of my crews live to see another such sunrise.” I stated.

“Yes Sir that would surely be a right thing to have happen.” The calm voice of Mister Johannson replied.

The last few weeks had been very quiet for the DD Bandit, although not necessarily quiet for either of the squadrons. For at this time the various assets of the two squadrons had been split for some protective duties for various commercial vessels that were moving throughout the region. Add to this Admiral O’Malley had formed three patrols of recent times, and had them operating in various capacities. Some thought that this was a fatal blow to bringing the squadrons undone, and dispersing the very elements that made the squadrons such strong fighting forces. Yet these were statements that were not mentioned within a yardarm of the Admiral.

“Sir, the ‘BB the Three Weeds’ and the Eighty-Fifth Battle Group and just coming into our southern sector.” Reported Officer Mindy Marin.

“Very good Mister Marin, my compliments to the Admiral, and safe journeys to them” was my only reply.

This is such a long way from my farm years… to think one day we just may be able to farm these waters, imagine that. Great big harvesters cutting a crop of some sea wheat ready for shipment to the markets of the world. Well we will need to get this darned war over with, if I am to be thinking of that sort of thing.

The morning quietly slipped by, a few reports came in, the Eighty-Fifth Battle Group moved through his area of responsibility, the battle submarine “Bongolia” surfaced a few miles ahead of the squadron, causing some extra drills on the “IrishBanga”. Ah the cat and mouse games we play with our own vessels.

It was late in the afternoon, while I was down in the lower bilge room inspecting a busted pump, and chatting with the repair crew that it all began. You could say that the klaxons going off gave it away, but I new that it was definitely no drill when my pager went off as well. With as much speed as I could obtain, I got myself to the CDC.

“Talk to me people”

“Elements of the 13th Squadron have come across a missile launch from a possible Sub Platform. The ‘Storm Crow’ has launched her copter to investigate, and Captain Mason has the ‘Jarrah’ swinging back around into the same water, and as Commander Nacchete already had both of his birds in the air, they are now descending on the area.” Reported Mister Donaldson.

I moved stright into the battle chair “Bring it up on the screen Donaldson”

“Aye Sir”

And there before my eyes was a clear symbol, with a designation number already attached.

“Cleary, open a line to Lake Awabakal now”

“Aye Sir”

“Incoming traffic: Commander Mason has sent a message through asking if you have any particular orders Sir”

“Very good Cleary. Let him know that it is his target at this time.”

“Aye Sir”

The screen suddenly broke into two parts. One half was dominated by the current contact with the ‘Storm Crow’. The other gave the locations of my units still within my sector. As I have said before, these guys are smooth.

“The line is open to Lake Awabakal Sir” Cleary reported.

“On Speaker.”

“Aye Sir”

“This is Admiral O’Malley on the ‘Bandit’; we have a missile launch here, possible from a sub platform.” To Donaldson’s thumbs up I added “We are sending all imagery now.”

“Admiral, this is Group Captain Neil Travis. We are receiving your transmissions, please stand by.”

“We are standing by Group Captain.”

“Miss Rai, I am glad you are able to join us. Thank you for looking in on the junction team, I appreciate it. Could you please get onto the ‘NoxBridge’ and the ‘Hitangy’, I want them into that water on the left of the screen as of fastest possible speed.”

”We have another launch Sir.”

“Main screen”

“Aye Sir”

Watching my main screen, I could see that Captain Mason of the ‘Storm Crow’ was on the job, and his patrol was cutting the area into small and definable pieces. We watched as the various units cut here and there, ever searching for the source of the missiles. I had the right man on the job for this. Actually I have many of the right people for this job throughout my command.

Lake Awabakal Naval Operations Centre
                      ”This is Group Captain Travis, put me through to Admiral Wallace, this is not a drill.”

Several seconds pass, seconds that feel like minutes as the data flashes across the mighty operational screens of the centre.

“This is Wallace!”

“Sir, we have multiple missile launches from the Terrashiba Sea. They are possibly from a sub platform of some type. We have no; I repeat no knowledge of the type, or the country of ownership. They are in bound on Hordeland, ETA 17.45 minutes to the coast. Sir, elements of the 13th Squadron are on hand and closing on the position, and Admiral O’Malley has the 5th Squadron coming over to that heading as I speak to you.”

“The Terrashiba you say. This does not bode well. Ok light up the wagon, get the word out to the Cinc’s, personally contact Cinc Hordeland.”

“Yes Sir.”

“I will be down in a few minutes. Is the President on the ‘Rag’?”

“He is Sir; they have just landed at the ‘Stafford-Bell Airbase’.”

“Well we had better get them airbourne again right now.”

“Yes Sir.”

The Rag
                      The chiefs and the secretaries in attendance just all stopped in the place when the lights changed colour. Battle stations again, so soon… yet they had a task to perform, this war was just too much. Turning from there various places they made there way to the conference room. This would definitely get messy before it could ever get better.
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Excellent stuff indeed Paddy

Excellent
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I really find the scenes where the squadron are seeking
                          enemy subs enthralling. Youve got it just about perfect there where you have
                          O Malley and his team dealing with the situation at hand. It is definitely
                          one of the stories strongest points and you write it so well

Comment

--------------------------------------

Thank you for this feedback. It is really helpful, and much appreciatted. I know that I have much to learn in writing, yet I enjoy the opportunity to post this story.

--------------------------------------
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Nice story, I want more please
                              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

The Rag

“Sir, it is this simple, we are at WAR! This is not an exercise, you are not play acting. The decisions you make will affect real people, my people!”

“No need to shout old fellow” came the quiet voice of James Macalister.

“Listen Mac, he needs to understand.”

“Yes, we can all see that, sit down Admiral. Let us just give the President a moment. This seems to be quite a shock.”

The President looked over at Macalister “Yes, shock... yes, quite a shock. Real, and all this time. Yes…”

Air Marshall Nicola Hanworth passed the latest images across to Admiral Naggahama.

“We need to make a decision here, O’Malley is a good man, but the burden of starting a war with China should not be on his shoulders. He has 3 cans near the launch site, and a possible contact.” And with that the Admiral resumed his seat, his shoulders just starting to slump.

“Gerald, should I be sitting here? Have I conducted myself in a manner fitting of this office?” Then stopping himself short, the President raised his hand. “Ok so those matters can wait till we get through this. If anyone at this table has an issue with my remaining and getting the job done, so say now.”

The room was silent.

“Ok, let’s do it.”

Those missiles landed amongst our people, on ground that had been held for 10 days now. So I take this matter as an act of aggression against us.” Straightening his shoulders, the President leant over and took a sat image from the pile in the middle of the conference table. “Word to O’Malley, take those missile boats out of the equation. This is WAR, and they are to hunt with extreme prejudice. Admiral lets fry these bastards.”

“Aye Sir” and with that the Admiral picked up a phone and started to fire orders down the line.

Turning to Air Marshall Nicola Hanworth the President continued “I want to be talking to the Ronnie Xu, the Leader of our Ally now. If they are his subs, then he has minutes to get those boats to surface and standby for boarding.”

“Yes Sir” and the Air Marshall was like a carbon copy to the Admiral. Modern communications are such a marvel.

“Gerald, let us get word to our Diplomatic staff in China, this could get very deadly for any of our people we have in that country.”

“Yes Sir” and Gerald joined those on the phones.

“Captain Richardson, can you run through those last 7 images again for me.”
                                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                                X