Double your Pleasure Mod???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if someone is interested ...

but beware you need the Incas and Australian Mods ... but someone could extract the MAP from the file ...

NOT WORKING MOD, but map 140x140 with DYP resources and some finished barbarians ...

so it is Version 0.4 beta (means 40% finished)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tzar Alexander; February 20, 2003, 17:58.

Comment

you can get a regular version or the PtW version of the mod at civ3.bernskov.com

you can get a 140x140 or a 180x180 earth map with the current DyP rules at civfanatics.
      Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
      or play regular Civ3 on one of my earth maps: 256x205; 180x180 Map; or 140x140.
      For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

I downloaded and patched this mod for PTW last weekend, started playing, and are now about half way through the ancient era. Absolutely brilliant! I like what I've seen so far - great ideas, it's how Civ3 should have been imho. Fantastic work Kal-el!

A few questions:
        1. When will the remaining resource/unit graphics be complete? It's kind of a shame to see the word 'Camel' on a tile for example...

2. You mention you would appreciate help with the civilpedia entries. I've noticed that there are plenty of people who post on Apolyton who enjoy showing off their knowledge of history. Have you started a thread specifically asking (and coordinating) people to assist? I'd be surprised if nobody offered to help.

3. Are there any plans to release an info pack? I've downloaded the spreadsheet, but it's a nightmare to print out. Something in PDF format would be great.

4. Can you cut my toenails while you're at it?

I play multiplayer with a mate; we plan to give this mod a go after we finish our current game. I'll be sure to let you know our thoughts and advise of bugs (I haven't come across any in single player as yet).

Keep up the outstanding work!

Comment

You can download the current full version of the mod (graphics and all) at our website: civ3.bernskov.com

We would love to put together a strategy guide/user's manual but are waiting til the mod has stabilized a bit.

I haven't advertized for pedia entries, but we do have an individual on the team whose sole purpose is to work on the civilopedia. unfortunately that position has been a sort of revolving door throughout the whole process. We get plenty of volunteers but RL keeps taking them away from us.

We hope to have the next version of the mod released to our beta testers by the end of the month. (you can sign up to be a tester at our forums at www.cdgroup.org)
          Creator of the Double Your Pleasure Mod Check out the DyP website and join the discussion on Double Your Pleasure Mod thread at civfanatics. You can play the mod on my DYP Earth Map
          For you modders out there I have released a version of the map with no resources. You can get that version Clean 180x180 here or Clean 140x140 here.

Comment

I downloaded the latest version (1.04x), but there still appears to be graphics missing. There are question marks on the tech tree (presumably where there is no graphic available for the improvement/wonder/unit) and the work 'Camel' appears on tiles rather than a picture of a camel.

Is this normal?

Comment

Ahh. Found the problem - I extracted it into the wrong folder. (I'm sure I had that right!)

Cheers

Comment

make sure you are opening the right scenario. with 1.04x we had to change the name of the scenario to "Double your Pleasure with Gfx" in order to avoid it being overwritten with each new patch.

Comment

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, and I've got to say-

I've been playing dyp (both SP and MP) exclusively. Haven't played a game of regular civ since I discovered this mod. My wife even plays it, for Heaven's sake.

I am completely and absolutely hooked. I just don't have the desire to play regular civ anymore. Can't wait for the newest version. Anyone who hasn't tried this mod needs to do so. Trust me!
                  "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                  - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

Is it really that good? I'm not intentionally trying to be a skeptic or anything, but most of the posts I've seen have been of the "This rocks" or "Way cool" variety.

What exactly is better? And why?

I checked out the tech choice and building screen shots and saw a lot of stuff that looked like fun, so I'll probably give it a shot.

In the meantime, though, I'd love to hear why DyP afficianados think it is so cool.

- TT

Comment

Toe:

Dyp is essentially the same game except for the following:

1) Tons more tech
                      2) Tons more city improvements
                      3) Tons more wonders (if someone were able to build all of them, I'd be truly impressed)
                      4) Tons of new military units
                      5) Tons of new resources (one of the luxury resources is tobacco - i guess smoking keeps the people happy!)

With regard to #5, one of the things I like about the way the resources are set up is that the creators put more emphasis on scarcity. You are almost guaranteed to not have all the strategic resources (you probably won't have 2 or 3 of them). Luxury resources are so scarce that usually only one or two civs have access to a particular one. Seems to make trade more crucial.

Also, there are some slight rules adjustments (most of them for the better) that change the strategy. Because of all the additions and changes, games can be played using a wider variety of strategies. You don't play the game with all the same old cookie cutter strategies every time. I don't have the time or space to go into all the changes, but do yourself a favor and give it a shot.

The only problem with this mod is that some of the Civilopedia is inaccurate due to tweaks that keep being made to the game. Also, the city graphics (you know - the screen that shows the different wonders and buildings in your city) are really goofed up.

This aside, Kal-El and the gang did an EXCELLENT job on this. CivIII should have been created like this from the start. Like I said before, I haven't played a regular game of CivIII in weeks (coincidentally about the time I discovered Dyp!) Also, I play long multiplayer games with a couple of other converts - what a blast!

Post back after you try it so I can see what you think.

Comment

It's...big.

Well, I downloaded DyP last night and I must say I'm pretty impressed. This mod is a monumental effort. Kind of a Great Wonder in its own right.

What I like best is that the new techs don't simply expand on a peer level with other techs, but they drill down into new levels of detail. Like, you need Mining to see the Iron and then Iron Working to build Swordsmen. That's the level of detail missing in Civ3.

Also, because of the new city improvements and wonders, I bet there will be plenty of things to build throughout the game. I can't tell you the number of times I've run out of things to build during the Middle Ages. Both the upper line through Printing Press, Banking, and Democracy and the lower line through Invention, Gunpowder, and Chemistry can get pretty dull. The only alternative is total warmongering. Ergh.

I'll write more once I get a complete game under my belt.

- TT

Comment

Toe:

You are correct in your assessments. I too have had the problem of running out of things to build. I haven't come close to having to worry about this with Dyp. I'm not a builder by nature, nor am I really a warmongerer. I'm a balanced player and will do what's needed with the hand I've been dealt. In my current game, however, I've mostly played builder, and, I must say, I have not run short of items to build.

I'll look forward to finding out if your experience with this mod mirrors mine. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X