Regicide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regicide?

What exactly is regicide, and how do they make a game of Civ3 out of it?
    DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
    EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
    AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

I bet similar to capture the flag, but having not to occupy and hold a square, instead you got to kill a specific enemy unit.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well if regicide in Civ3 is similar to AoKs' regicide it would mean killing a king or leader unit. Just a guess though.
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

From Regiside, I'd assume that they mean killing of the King. So in the Civ 3 version, I'm willing to bet that the first Civ to capture the others capital wins. Then again Solver has a good point that it may the killing of a specific unit that is designated as being the King.

Comment

Some kind of CTP2 then? I remember from the dream time() in the beginning of my time here at Apolyton, that there was a scenario where you lost if you had one specific unit killed. On the other hand, that was the opposite way: you controlled the unit.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Maybe each side will start with a leader that is the 'king'. If that leader dies, you lose.

I would assume that special rules would apply (no rush building wonders, you may not be able to build non-leader armies, etc.).
            Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
            http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I think it would be more fun if in Regicide the key unit isn't a King or the capital, but something more mystical. Maybe it would be an emmissary from God, an oracle, something used to communicate with the ancients. (okay, I may be going off the deep end here but I am excited as hell about the XP) Something that guides your people from the begining to eternity and without which, your civilization collapses.

Comment

I kind of like the sound of it being a particular unit, because then it wouldn't be about just attacking, but you would have to heavily defend your own unit as well!
                DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

I hope there is a new unit for the king/prophet whatever, like that fat, fast guy in AoK. Man could he go
                  You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Actually, this shows once again that good scenario build options seem to become available. For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler.
                    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                      Actually, this shows once again that good scenario build options seem to become available. For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler.
                      Good point!

Comment

For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler
                        SWEET. You could then do all sorts of stuff. Hitler's goal could be to kill the Lincoln or Stalin unit. Easy way to get all their cities, particularly if Bombers (or even boats!) get lethal bombardment! Lincoln will have to hide in Colorado!
                        I hate oral!!

Comment

Regicide is an excellent idea. But the question remains... what happens to their empire when you kill their "king" unit, and there's still other rival civs to contend with?
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
                            Regicide is an excellent idea. But the question remains... what happens to their empire when you kill their "king" unit, and there's still other rival civs to contend with?
                            Good question. Maybe their cities just autoraze? It would seem like a huge advantage to have all their cities suddenly come under your control. That would speed up MP play but I predict many people will simply drop out of the game if they see someone suddenly become too powerful. I have yet to play a game of CtP online where everyone sticks it out to the bitter end even if they are losing. It seems most people can't handle losing and just drop out. One or two less players in a MP session and the game quickly becomes boring.

Comment

I was thinking that the remnants of the dead "king's" empire should be divided between the player who killed the king, and about two or three close neighbours to the dead empire. If it were more like Civ II, where barbarians can control cities, maybe make it so that other parts of their empire end up under barbarian control.
                              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X