Expansionist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansionist

I decided to try playing expansionist because I've seen a lot of posts about it (negative ones). So I thought i'd give it a try. Because I am a dane, I played the vikings (off course ) and I found that it was quite easy to get more towns than the AI players (monarch difficulty), and having the scout, it was easy enough to keep up in science as well, because of goody huts). But that was pangea. Achipelago was a totally different story. I began at a small island (5 cities max), with another one neighboring (typo? plz correct my spelling) it (another 5 towns). And I couldn't get away from it, before I discovered astronomy. And when that happened, my competitors were so advanced, and so powerful, that even a berserk raid couldn't touch them. Razed a couple of coastal cities and got a lot of slaves. I traded them for two techs...maybe that was a good strat?

Another try: arabs, I like the religious trait, and I wanted the expansionist trait as well (I know very well that the Iroqouis have the same traits, but: been there, done that etc. etc. ). I out expanded the AI players (large pangea, random climate), but fell hopelessly behind in the tech race, even though I found techs in the majority of the GH....

What am I doing wrong (plz don't say: quit playing expansionist )

anyone?

AP
    http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47072005

Are you trading with the AI players? If not, you will almost always fall behind.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Trading

Yes I am...

I learned that the hard way...in my first game...
      http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47072005

Comment

Maybe you should try to improve your REXing techniques.

Check this out: http://www.civfanatics.com/doc/civ3/...r/civ3_starts/

Most people who can't take full advantage of the expansionist trait need to improve their REXing.

Comment

Quit playing expansionist.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
            Quit playing expansionist.
            Don't listen to Alexnm, he's bad for you.

Comment

If you're playing an "Expansionist" civ, you'd have to build up your infrastructure more efficiently and much quicker. The advantage of "Expansionist" is that you'll get an early lead, but the disadvantage is that you could easily end up with a fragmented empire. While you'll benefit from a big empire, if your empire gets too big without adequate infrastrastructure and defense and is not as well established as other smaller empires, then you could collapse as quickly as you expanded.

Learned that the hard way.
              "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
              but when there has been naming
              we should also know when to stop.
              Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Since I discovered the expansionistic trait, I fell in love with it. With your scouts, you can discover foreign Civs extremely quickly, and have a much more interesting world map than your neighbours.
                If you are lucky, being expansionistic can help you dearly with acquiring the tech lead at the beginning, because goody huts are nice, and because you can tech-whore between Civs that don't know each other. Avoid to trade communication between two faraway Civs at all costs, to ease your techwhoring.

The Arabs have a powerful combination, because they can find good city spots quickly, and they can culturally secure them at minimal cost. A solid culture in early cities makes sure the AI won't bother you next to your cities, and since the AI attacks only later in the game...

Besides, the Ansar Warrior arrives just at the time you should begin agressive extension, when there is no free territory left.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I have found that any deficiencies the expansionist trait may have can be more than made up for with an exceptional unique unit. The Iroquois are now my favourite civ, after the game I finished the other day--Monarch, 7 opponents, standard Pangaea map and settings--at 1130AD I think it was, a domination win after eight hours of play. The Mounted Warrior is simply the most awesome unit in terms of when it is available and the comparative strength it offers compared to its cost!

Comment

hi ,

try playing a couple games with the US , its really great so see expansionist combined with industrious

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Aeson has written several excellent posts re Expansionist in the Strat forum.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        Aeson has written several excellent posts re Expansionist in the Strat forum.
                        hi ,

why are so many people against this "trait" , ....

it really rocks

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by statusperfect

Don't listen to Alexnm, he's bad for you.
                          Come on, he was asking for that...
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

It's all a matter of the luck of the draw.

Yes, Aeson's thread is detailed and enlightening... no arguments there. But still, many of the expansionists will have you restarting time and time again until you get lucky. Then, when you do, you'll generally be DAMN LUCKY and pull ahead in the game significantly.

It's all about out-expanding the other expansionists. Getting that free second city helps. So does getting a lot of good techs.

Definitely, the Iroquois, the Arabs, and to a lesser extent the Mongols, Zulu, Americans and British, stand to profit from their expanionist trait.

I find the Vikings' UU, as awesome as it is, a little too little, a little too late, and the Russians, ARRRGH... well, play with cultural linking off unless you want to bash your head into the wall for several hours.
                            You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Panag is right, Americans is the best expansionist tribe. You must have an good infrastructure in a huge empire. Religious is is almost always the best trait, but not in this particular style of game. And of course, pangea and huge map is essential.

Put the research level to 0%, huts will gives you the techs anyway. Don´t defend your first city at all, only pour out scouts. If you spot some truoble then change yuor latest partly finished scout to a suitable defence unit (hurry it if necceserly). If none of your competitors is expansionist you will grab the most of the goody huts. At this time stop produce scouts, put them back to towns and disband them for something more useful like defence or temple buildings.

When most of the huts is exhausted, you probably lead the tech race and (depend of patch) have a number of towns. Don´t change the research level and don´t trade techs or connections yet. In an early town with reasonable shield pruduction, start to built palace (or some wounder that you do not want anyway).

When you get a tech for instance, litterature, change your palace/wounder project to The Great Library. When one turn is left to finish it, sell techs as hell. They will pay you a fortune for litterature if you are alone to know it. Ask the riches tribes first.

Now you will get tech for free until someone find education (Still 0% research). Until that you should use your money to rush build temples. That will help a bit from cultural flipping and release shields for settlers to fill the gaps in your scattered empire.

It´s better to build culture point improvent first, if you still can afford to rush libs and caths, do it.

Eventually, someone discover education and the next phase of the game begins. Now you are problably # 2 or # 3 in the tech race and have to jack up research level. You have now a new situation to deal with and further problems have many different solutions. But with a deasent empire you are a step closer victory.

Comment

Working...
                              X