• Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Seeker on 05-17-2001 06:51 AM
    You're talking about Charlie Chaplin?

Quoting my previus post:
    quote:

If I can vote, I'll prefer Charlie Chaplin (Charlot) as a modern icon of an entertainer actor. His films are great, funny and with some tears for good measure. Maybe during a war it can substitute the Military advisor too (anyone remember the film where Charlot replaced Hitler? A masterpiece of acting, real piece of movies history).

Yes, I am talking about Mr.Chaplin

------------------
    A weapon is a device for making your enemy change his mind. The mind was the first and final battleground, the stuff in between was just noise.
    - Admiral Naismith
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Chaplin is too... serious for that kind of job if you ask me

His movies... Chaplin was formost a critic of his society and then an entertainer if you ask me. Comedy was just his way of getting his (great and humanistic) messages across.

(who's Carlin?)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith on 05-17-2001 12:14 PM
        but probably going back to Greek Theatre will be too much on the serius side...

But if it was a Comedy play (like one of Aristophanes) you'd fall off your ancient theater sit laughing! Do you know Satyros? (in english??)

Don't know... The King just seems to fit perfectly in that job. The Elvis impersonator was really great and the concept of Elvis in that job just clicks somehow

«I cannot raise the spirits of the people aloooone your majesty»

Comment

Admiral, those pics could be modified in civ2 by altering people.gif

That's nothing new. I used to have a version with Mr. T as the entertainer. Ethnically diverse and strangely entertaining at the same time. I hope that Firaxis does not change this.
          [This message has been edited by Mister Pleasant (edited May 17, 2001).]

Comment

Elvis is in. New screen shot from Game Spy has a picture of Elvis as part of the Population.

------------------

Comment

Uh-huh Huh!

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Ladies and Gentleman,

Elvis has ENTERED the building !!!

Thank God Firaxis, for a while I questioning the sanity of your graphics artists, how could they have waited this long to include Elvis, damn near scared the crap out of me. Civ without Elvis? Ha!

Comment

It's to bad he is gone because if he was with us, he could come up with a title song for CIV 3.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by paiktis22 on 05-17-2001 11:29 AM
                    Chaplin is too... serious for that kind of job if you ask me

His movies... Chaplin was formost a critic of his society and then an entertainer if you ask me. Comedy was just his way of getting his (great and humanistic) messages across.

That's absolutely true, but we don't need to "level down" the Entertainer, do we?
                    We had great entertainer in history, not necessary lighthearted
                    Considering the fact that Civ III seems to be inspired by "Tower of Babel" painting, but probably going back to Greek Theatre will be too much on the serius side...

quote:

(who's Carlin?)

I haven't a hint!
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

How dare anyone suggest that Johnny Rotten was created by the state?
                      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 05-17-2001 10:12 PM
                        It's to bad he is gone because if he was with us, he could come up with a title song for CIV 3.

Something tells me that "Hounddog" and "Tower of Babel" aren't exactly well matched

Comment

THE KING IS IN. *initiate wild celebration mode* YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

«Yeah man. That was good!»

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mister Pleasant on 05-17-2001 03:06 PM
                            Admiral, those pics could be modified in civ2 by altering people.gif

That's nothing new.
                            [This message has been edited by Mister Pleasant (edited May 17, 2001).]

Thanks Mister Pleasant. I didn't modified CIV 2 files, if not for minor parts, but it's nice to see I can, if only I want.

But really, I don't think it's so relevant for me to customize the game to such extent.
                            I decided to mention someone else great just to limit those "love the Elvis" fanatics flood!

------------------
                            A weapon is a device for making your enemy change his mind. The mind was the first and final battleground, the stuff in between was just noise.
                            - Admiral Naismith
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by paiktis22 on 05-17-2001 02:23 PM
                              But if it was a Comedy play (like one of Aristophanes) you'd fall off your ancient theater sit laughing! Do you know Satyros? (in english??)

Well, I must admit my limits: I studied greeks theatre and comedy somewhat at school ages ago, but my memory has probably been resetted by some internal failure

May be I'll look at Public Library, next week.
                              May I beg you for any title suggestion? (Original title in greek will be easier for me to translate in italian equivalent).

Please send me an Apolyton Private Message, if it's not too a trouble for you, just to keep OT out of this thread. Thank you in advance.

------------------
                              - Admiral Naismith
                              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Check your PMs Adm. Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X