Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe civ-specific units are in!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailed to askthecivteam@firaxis.com

Hi!

For the years i've played civilization and civilization 2,
    and persisted on playing it, I always knew that my victory
    is actually mine. I earned it. I knew that my civilization
    was as unique and specific as I made it be with techs, wonders,
    governments and policies. We already have so much to create
    out own civ.

Having unique civs, which have unique units, bonuses etc, is
    wrong. You should not have it as this only downgrades your game.
    The game is good because it is accurate and yet very costumizable.

It is very popular now in the strategy genere to create unique units.
    Guess why? Because other games don't have the needed depth
    or possibility to make factions truely special and make each player
    relate to his faction. So standart factions are generated, fitted for
    certain styles of play and used over and over by the same hundreds
    of zealot like bored players after which the game is forgotton.

This is not the case with civ. This should not be the case with civ2.
    Firaxis, frankly, could you possibly compare the success of Civ 2
    to Alpha Centaury? I think not. And I tihnk you know why. Because
    civ 2 is it, for every player out there. And every player knows he should
    work hard and have his victory in many different ways over many different
    timespans. In Alpha Centaury, the game is it only for 7 zealoted player
    types. All the non-fanatic ones have let go.

I can't say what I know now about Civ 3 satisfies the very high
    expectations I had. But I know I trust you to make the best game you can.
    Having unique, premolded factions is a step back for civ which will
    make the true civers step away and leave.

So who do you choose? A horde of silly gameplayers which will buy your
    game, play it for a month and then dump it, or a horde of core civers
    who understand you and your games, and are willing to give everything
    for it?

The choise is yours! Every one of the Firaxians incharged of Civ 3!
    Does unique civs make the game _true_ civ? Think aobut it, and then
    make a real difference.

Comment

Here's how to handle the matter. If Firaxis does not put an option in the menu to disable, go to rules.txt (or the equivalent) and disable every civ specific unit. And before anyone starts yelling the famous Jello Biarfa refrain of "Give me convenience or give me death!", let me point out that activision expected customers to rewrite the entire AI. So unless Firaxis buries the rules.txt stuff in the code (and if you thought the modders were mad already at the 7 civ limit . . .), this is not a game breaking issue. Of course that's assuming unique units don't work. I'll see if they do before I disable.

California uber alles!

Comment

That sure convinced me.

------------------
        Its okay to smile; you're in America now
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I like it. The more units the better I like it. Just wait and see before condemning the game. I counted the posts ahead of mine and the vote is 13 no's posting 21 times, 10 yes or no opinion posting 13 times.

------------------

[This message has been edited by joseph1944 (edited April 29, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 04-29-2001 03:48 PM
            I like it. The more units the better I like it. Just wait and see before condening the game. I counted the posts ahead of mine and the vote is 13 no's posting 21 times, 10 yes or no opinion posting 13 times.

Well this doesn't matter.

The Apolyton vote said most were for the option ONLY IF IT CAN BE DISABLED.
            Otherwise, most apolytoners that voted disliked the specific civs idea.

Comment

~
              [This message has been edited by Zylka (edited April 29, 2001).]

Comment

Dude, I just had a tubular idea you might think is totally awesome! Wouldn't it be gnarly if every civ could choose a wonder before the game started as well?! Hey maybe we're on to something wicked here, like, we could, like also choose what civ has exclusive rights to certain city improvements as well! Bring on civ3!

[This message has been edited by Zylka (edited April 29, 2001).]

Comment

Wouldn't this detract from the concept of creating your own cultural identity, as the Civ's cultures are pretty much predetermined for you by the available special units you can create?

I still think Civ3 will be the best ever.

Comment

I generally agree with the idea of different units for different civs, if they EITHER do not have different stats (as several people have already suggested); OR, it's a feature that can be disabled in a startup menu.

However, how would it be if every civ had a special unit (with special stats) for each era - Ancient, Renaissance, Industrial and Modern? I know this is not what Jeff Briggs said in the PC Gameplay review, but Firaxis might consider it to balance the game better. Be hard to think up a special modern unit for the Zulus, tho', ditto an ancient one for the Americans! Ancient/Modern specials would to some extent have to be distributed randomly... Just a thought, trying to be optimistic!

Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Sorry I did not take the time to read every single thing someone said in this post so I dont know if this has been mentioned but my feeling on Unique units is that its a good idea. Why you ask? Because at certain points in history all of the respected Civs in Civ3 have dominated in the world at one point or another, well a unit like the Roman Legion will only be a dominant unit in around when its available to the romans, but when the legion becomes an un-efficent unit to use, then a another civ might have the chance to dominate, say the Germans with there Panzer Tank. This could infact cause the game to have certain civs rise to power in different parts of the game. Which I personaly think is very relistic and would be even more importantly fun. Think about it guys. Every Civs rises and falls and it would be cool if these units would make that possible. Maybe im wrong but its an idea

Comment

Zylka: Your wit is stunning. Looks like you'll be playing Civ2 then. Too bad. Maybe you should have been more active around here when it mattered instead whinning like a little wimp now?
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

quote:

You guys want every civ to be the same? Is that how it is in reality? I'm all for civ-specific unit/abilities. Most of you say you want it to be historical, but you want every civ the same.

Is this a joke? I hear people saying, "but I want Civ2 to be realistic, and have cultural identity, and I don't want bland civs!"

People who say this obviously miss the point. Civ-specific units create bland Civs! If I want to rule in the modern age, I will always be Germans so I can get panzers or whatever. The game will degenerate into "oh, he will get panzers later on, so I better deal with him now." All you realism fans should at least see this as silly and unrealistic!

Cultural identity? Civilization allows you to create this cultural identity yourself, with your decisions. I can't imagine anyone who has thought about this issue more than 30 seconds deciding that indeed, cultural identity is better when somebody forces it on you. Stupid!

Realism, huh? Well guess what, Civ is about making your own history, not reading a history book! Is there something in the English genetic code that makes them have longbows? No. Some german "panzer gene?" No. Obvioulsy, people who say this is realistic have no concept of what realism is and just want to repeat earth history. Some of us, you know, want to MAKE OUR OWN history! That is what Civ is for! These "bonuses" are based on environment, and are not somehow imprinted into a civ.

And for all you ******** who still like this idea: I hope you'll have fun with a tribe of landlocked vikings who can't build their special unit for no reason other than the stupidity of Firaxis. I will be mocking you from afar, playing a good and balanced game of Civ2 where I decide my fate, not the game companies. You suck, Firaxis!

------------------
                          - Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

LOL!!!! I think the game with be GREAT with this twist on things, and if you don't trust Sid, you haven't been paying attention the past 20 years, have you?
                            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

You cannot have balanced civs with unique units.

It's that simple.

So you'd choose a civ according to your favorite strategy.

For example:

I might want to play the Americans. But I very seldom make use of airplanes. This puts me in a PENALTY.

I like to use tanks and dilpos. The game would FORCE me to choose Germans or, say, Russians.

I like to play Greeks. I NEVER engage in conquering the world war in ancient times (Sorry Alexander ). This puts me in a penalty too.

You say: choose a civ that DOES NOT fit your stategy and be challenged.

I say that this goes against the philosophy of civ where all civs have equal changes and it is ONLY YOUR strategy that determines the outcome.

Civ is all about strategy. What kind of fool would choose a civ that puts him/her in a strategic disadvantage? I expect the AI (or MP) to challenge me.

You say: unique units make civs unique and you don't want to have «bland» civs.

If you are looking for historical accuracy open an encyclopedia. This is civ where the Zulus can nuke you on the head in 2005 A.D., Americans roam the earth in 4000 B.C. and Babylonians throw parties when they discover Fusion Power.

YOU determine the uniqueness of a civ by the way you are playing and by the way the game evolves.

You pick the Aztecs and in 1200 they colonize Europe. This, by itself, should be unique enough for you.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 04-29-2001 08:39 PM
                                LOL!!!! I think the game with be GREAT with this twist on things, and if you don't trust Sid, you haven't been paying attention the past 20 years, have you?

Sid (may very well be close to but) is not God

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Firaxis that made Alpha Centauri? And wasn't that AFTER Civ 2?

I think we all trust Sid but that doesn't mean he can't make a crucial mistake...!

Also, I see a lot of you people saying unique civs are ok as an option.

But can you imagine the amount of effort that Firaxis will have to put on unique units? And then make all this effort... optional? If UU (unique units) are on I think that we'd have to suffer them.

And I don't want to scew the game up by making arbitrary alterations to the rules.txt or whatever.

Plus: Is it confirmed that these units as the english longbowman or the Japanese samurai are about specific civs? Or are they about cultural styles? i.e. European Archer vs Asian Archer etc?

Comment

Working...
                                X