Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Trade Essential...One Energy + One Metal + One Manufacturing Point =...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Trade Essential...One Energy + One Metal + One Manufacturing Point =...

...One Shield.

The requirements that make up a shield would change over time. Though 'Energy' 'Metal' and 'Manufacturing' are fairly generic, the idea would make the game alot more realistic, as aquiring resources would shape your foriegn policy and your alliance structure. All of a sudden there is a reason for Japan to seek its "co-prosperity sphere", for the Germans to turn south to Stalingrad, for all the motivations of imperialism. This would make the game considerably more realisitic, and add an interesting dynamic, particularly to the modern age. Lets face it, when it comes to manufacturing, we've had it easy while in human history civilizations have had it tough.

Consider this, much as there is a grid of wheat, whales, and fish, there could be an underlying grid of oil and other materials needed to support modern industry. Underlying because we wouldn't know it was there until we enter the industrial age, when they would start to pop up (be discovered). So, you've got it made and are doing great all the game until the industrial age when you find out that much of the worlds oils is over there in the civ of that jerk, what's his name? The solution? WAR! or cut a deal? Or, a rotten game turns around when it is revealed that half the worlds known supply of oil is in your backyard, and everyone wants to be your friend. All of a sudden there is a reason to do these things...

...if Civ 3 has resources.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Lancer (edited February 06, 2001).]
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Yes, I am a long time advocate of special resource based manufacturing precisely for the reasons you describe. I hope Firaxis elaborates on the resource/economy system in their next site update.

That reminds me, it has been almost three weeks since their last update.
    Rome rules

Comment

I like the idea too, actually I think there are lots of stuff in Imperialism that civ 3 could make use of.
      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Look, er, as much as I like the concept behind the idea of resource-based gaming, I'd much rather avoid it.

I played Imperialism for a while. Um. It might have been Imperialism II; I forget which, because I stopped playing it early on. It looked like a really great game on the box, and I spent my spare hours at work flipping through the instruction manual, trying to come up with strategies.

But when I actually played the game, it wasn't fun. It was a pain in the ass, a complete hassle. Yech.
        "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

I much as I treasure Imperialism as one of the best games I ever played, I doubt that its model could work for Civ. Simply put, it is too complex. I would prefer simpicity, with trade goods and caravans a la CTP2 with special "manufacturing" city improvements, and items that do things for your cities (give them benifits) when "used up". Even that might be too much when put into practice. That's just my opinion BTW.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Maybe full blown system is indeed too complex to be included, but at least they should allow these items to have some truly strategic significance such as improving efficiency of building specific things by a large amount.
            Rome rules

Comment

Well, we seem to be of two opinions. Some for a "resource based manufacturing" system, and some saying it would be too complx, like Imperialism, a game I have also played.

Imperialism was complex regarding the aquisition of raw materials and production, but that was what that game was all about. The same thing could be achieved on a much simpler level and the advantages would be tremendous. for Civ 3.

In Imp, you had to search for raw materials, in Civ 3 the way I described them, they just pop up at random after the industrial age.

Aquiring raw materials from other countries was complex in Imp, while in Civ 3 it could be a simple mutually advantageous trade or purchase. You want a complex trade system? How about the one in Civ 2? Which city was it that wanted WOOL again? Lets see, did I have to drop off the wine in Carthage, the gems in Munich and the...wait a sec, I was suposed to drop the gems in London, CRAP! So what did Carthage get again? -what a pain in the butt.

Anyway, consider that all such production models need not be the same. Simplicity is in the hands of the designer. I suggest that trade plays no great part in forcing strategy in Civ 2. Even if it were to make Civ 3 more complex, which I doubt, the benefits of a resource based manufacturing system, and it's corelation to trade and trade's implications for strategy, would far outweigh any debatable increase in complexity.

Comment

Hello again Lancer

What is the general concept of a manufacturing point? Energy and metal are fairly obvious... Still how would labour factor in here? I mean labour is essentially energy, especially in the past. In some ways I think the concept of energy is handled fairly well already in Civ2 through the various types of power plants... unless your idea is adding a fourth concept to the existing ones of food, trade and production? It sort of seems like that - rivers and forests would be obvious sources of early power/energy for instance. But this does seem like adding a lot of complexity to the game.

Yep, I agree the trading system, in terms of execution anyway, sucked in Civ2. On the other hand, the execution in CtP is much better, but the concept of creating monopolies is frankly stupid. Civ2's supply/demand model was better that way, though obviously the commodities up for trade (why limit to 3?) leave much to be desired.

------------------
                Yes, as a matter of fact, going to Queen's does make me better than you.

Comment

No, a resource model is no ttoo complex. It is essential for Civ3. I dont want the same caravan to city and thast it trade system that previous games had, that jsut sucks. Imperialsim is a major part of world history(and the accuisition of raw materials was the motivating factor) and should not be ignored.
                  THE HARDER THE STRUGGLE THE GREATER THAT TRIUMPH

Comment

A rescource system is a must. So much of the worlds policy today is dominated by oil. It's location, it's availability, it's price etc. WArs are fought over oil, and I think that if this can't be represented in civ3 than it's a giant leap backwards for TBS games.
                    - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                    Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Biddles on 02-10-2001 08:02 AM
                      So much of the worlds policy today is dominated by oil. It's location, it's availability, it's price etc. WArs are fought over oil, and I think that if this can't be represented in civ3 than it's a giant leap backwards for TBS games.

Indeed, I would be very dissapointed if the resource system did not make it into the game at least in a limited form.
                      Rome rules

Comment

Its pretty much vital that they put oil and etc in. oil has shaped relations with countries, wars, trade and just about any ol thing in this world (including the piggy banks of Arabian dictators).

Comment

Mark Everson PMed me regarding this, his project 'Clash of Civilizations" will have resource based manufacturing, great news! Check out his forum in the Alt Civs section for updates.

David, the question is not so much about power plants, but about what powers them. True, early on the main sourse of energy for manufacturing is human, so no change in the game system needs to be implemented until later.

In the age of sail things which would be needed for manufacturing are coal for foundrys, cotton for sails, oak for masts and hulls, iron for guns of all sorts. Certainly there could be more. The problem with more is added complexity, and making Civ 3 a game about trading isn't my wish at all.

Later in the game coal gives way to oil, hydro becomes much expanded, though it was used to power mills early on, it was a direct, mechanical approach. Towards the end, uranium is needed for nuke plants. David, have you ever sought out uranuim in Civ 2 because you needed it for your nuke plants? Have you ever fought a war to keep the factories running? These are the things we lack, and having them would be a real kick in the pants I think.

Biddles, Roman, Zeevico, thanks for supporting resource based manufacturing. I hope we get it!
                          [This message has been edited by Lancer (edited February 11, 2001).]

Comment

I agree with the rescource system, but it shouldn't be taken too far. If in the modern age we have 50 goods we have to scramble after, then the game would be ruined. Somewhere between 5-10 an age (closer to 5) should be enough. Especially considering that early rescources (Wood, Copper etc.) would still be used later in the game, although probably not as much (But if your ahead in tech, other civ's will still want those goods).
                            - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                            Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

I like the resource based system very much .. Imperialism was a wonderful game..

In the real world, each nation compete's for resources .. not 3 or 4, not 15-20 like in imp .. but hundreds and hundreds of them .. control the resource, and have a nice day

The difference is however, in the real world, there are millions of people, all dealing with them .. Governments can be hundreds of thousands of people .. in civ, your 1 person.. so scaling it down to a managable economy, which gets the feeling across is important .. I actually think imp had it spot on..15-20 economic resources .. that change over time in importance ..

Another similar system was in colonization .. I actually loved the fact that you could ship firs in from Canada, build factories to process them .. and sit on a stock-pile until the price was right...

------------------
                              "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon
                              "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                              X