Poll: bombardment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CerberusIV
    What I have just realised is that I would like submarines to bombard naval units, not attack. That would be more realistic and would work with my approach of giving destroyers the "see invisible" ability. The problem is that the AI would use subs to bombard tile improvements. It would be nice to have separate land and sea bombardment (they are rather different things in reality).
    hi ,

simple ; take a nuclear sub , put some long range (!) cruise missiles on them and you are in , .....

you can even make a special sub launch rocket with the editor , .....

have a nice day
    Should be a torpedo option. Torpedoes are fare more effective than cruise missiles. Its not like the ancient "das boot" torbedoes when you need the vessel in sight. modern torpedoes are long ranged self seeking killers and is for this reason that an aircraft carrier needs so many destroyers to seek them out.

Destroyers should see moving subs much earlier, but only see none moving subs when they are one tile away. The subs have to wait, but when the enemy arrives, deliver a deadly portion og explosives
    to get away from the world, I use my computer.
    to reach out to the world, I use the Internet.
    To play the world, I use Civ III

Comment

ARTY RULES!!!!!

Apparently, Zachriel and I think along similar lines--at least as reguards arty bombardment. Sure, Persepolis will have to be rebuilt once you take it, but that 1 citizen might resist, but he won't do the ol' Culture Flip. Just rush some Libraries and Temples to build up the culture and all the new citizens will be yours, not Persian. They will never flip back to Persia.

It looked like Zachriel had a stack of about 8 - 10 arty's on that mountain. I personally prefer to use about 25 - 30 units. After a few turns (usually no more than 3) the town that you're attacking (and by this time will be a town) will offer little to no resistance.

I have made all arty units Lethal. This came in VERY handy one game where I was behind in techs and having to defend w/ inferior units. I generated 3 GL's via bombarding enemy battleships that ended their turn too close to my city. After that war, I was able to catch-up tech-wise and then surpass my enemies.

ARTY RULES!!!!!

I usually don't build too many catapults. If I capture some, then great, I'll use them mostly for defense, but they tend to be little better than useless. Once I can upgrade them to canons, then they are a little better for defense, and starting to get better at offense. When you can build Artillery, then you can just Rock-n-Roll right over whomever--even better w/ railroads because you can move 'em in quickly.

Almost no AI cities can withstand a stack of 30+ Arty's, and any AI SoD's that are comming your way will be slowed-down or stopped by use of overwhelming Arty force. Even w/o "Lethal Bombard" enabled, you can severely injure enemy units, then pick 'em off w/ your Elites. Another added benifit of having injured AI units in your terretory is that the AI usually will try to heal them before attacking. With enough arty and elite units, you can make sure that they never heal.

Yes, ARTY RULES!!!!!
      "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Re: ARTY RULES!!!!!

Originally posted by steven8r
        ...I have made all arty units Lethal. ...
        Yes, ARTY RULES!!!!!
        I'm sorry, but
        IF you are after ANY challenge to the game
        THEN that is just sooo pathetic.

You took a unit that the AI has almost NO ability to use properly, and then you made it "LETHAL".

Must be playing on Diety or somethin' ... or just enjoying an easy romp through the park.

Comment

Bombard units need at least some defensive value in my opinion. But then it would be impossible to capture them. I've heard of catapults and such being captured by the enemy, but usually after the battle was over. The problem is that artillery units were seldom defenseless. They were almost always guarded somehow, far as I know.
          Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
          Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Re: Re: ARTY RULES!!!!!

Originally posted by Jaybe
            I'm sorry, but IF you are after ANY challenge to the game
            THEN that is just sooo pathetic.

You took a unit that the AI has almost NO ability to use properly, and then you made it "LETHAL".

Must be playing on Diety or somethin' ... or just enjoying an easy romp through the park.
            Even with non-lethal artillery, ARTY RULZ!!!!!!
            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Steven8r:

1) I agree, ARTY RULES!!
              2) Jaybe is right, lethal land bombard is just too game-breaking... lots of discussion about this in the mod threads.
              3) GLs from lethal land bombard against ships show up where? On land, where the attacking Arty is?
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                3) GLs from lethal land bombard against ships show up where? On land, where the attacking Arty is?
                Theseus,

The GL shows-up in the same square w/ the Arty that generated him. In my example, he appeared in my city.

BTW: This hapened before PTW.

Comment

The defensive value of bombard units is inherent in the defenders traveling with them. Bombard and defensive units complement each other very well. The bombard stacks also make good defensive points for the fast units.

Comment

Jaybe,

Lethal land bombardment can make things too easy. I rarely use it. It just makes sense that it be lethal. I prefer to use the Arty to criple my enemy, then attack him w/ Elite units.

Comment

Originally posted by Centauri18
                      The problem is that artillery units were seldom defenseless. They were almost always guarded somehow, far as I know.
                      Not true. At the battle of Waterloo, Wellington arrayed his cannon in front of his infantry squares when the French Cavalry under Marshal Ney attacked. The crews fired the cannon until the last minute before retreating into the infantry squares, leaving the cannon behind UNGUARDED. Military doctrine was that the Allied cannon should have been destroyed (by spiking) but the French didn't do it. Lucky for Wellington. The cavalry was unsupported by cannon and musket and so had to retreat. The allies retook the cannon and later put it to good use against the previously undefeated imperial guard.

of course, none of this can be simulted by civ3...
                      Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Originally posted by Albert

Should be a torpedo option. Torpedoes are fare more effective than cruise missiles. Its not like the ancient "das boot" torbedoes when you need the vessel in sight. modern torpedoes are long ranged self seeking killers and is for this reason that an aircraft carrier needs so many destroyers to seek them out.

Destroyers should see moving subs much earlier, but only see none moving subs when they are one tile away. The subs have to wait, but when the enemy arrives, deliver a deadly portion og explosives
                        hi ,

that might to be a bit difficult , .....

in the modern day world , subs can hit both land and sea units or buildings , therefore it would be more intresting to see a type of cruise missile instead of a torpedo , we have to take the size of the srceen in account and the trouble that an extra unit shall bring with it , ... if the devolpers really want to do something about it , a type of cruise missile would be the best , ....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

that might to be a bit difficult , .....

in the modern day world , subs can hit both land and sea units or buildings , therefore it would be more intresting to see a type of cruise missile instead of a torpedo , we have to take the size of the srceen in account and the trouble that an extra unit shall bring with it , ... if the devolpers really want to do something about it , a type of cruise missile would be the best , ....

have a nice day
                          yes, the modern day 160m Ohio giant US sub might carry whatever they want, but the more common subs for defending countries usually wait deep down and don`t have that option.

What I mean is that when you get your productive coastal cities up running and it takes two turns for a battleship, and one for a cruise missil, one for destroyer (that moves almost as long as a cruise missil anyway), one for sub, I don`t see the point in cruise missiles any more.

My point: a slow,but almost invisible sub, with lethal bombardment option on other naval units would give a lot to naval defense tactics, making the attacking vessels afraid of entering an aerea without hordes of destroyers babysitting for the bigger units.

I dont mind if this is done by some sort of missil, torpedo or just bombardment, but subs is in the modern world the best naval defense for weaker countries, because of the hiding possibility and the extreme amounts of explosives it carries.

but then again, what the developpers do is whats important. I would just like to see some sub changes
                          to get away from the world, I use my computer.
                          to reach out to the world, I use the Internet.
                          To play the world, I use Civ III

Comment

I forgot about the undefended artillery thing. Huh. Well, the more modern artillery ought to have some defensive options.

Comment

Not true. At the battle of Waterloo, Wellington arrayed his cannon in front of his infantry squares when the French Cavalry under Marshal Ney attacked. The crews fired the cannon until the last minute before retreating into the infantry squares, leaving the cannon behind UNGUARDED. Military doctrine was that the Allied cannon should have been destroyed (by spiking) but the French didn't do it. Lucky for Wellington. The cavalry was unsupported by cannon and musket and so had to retreat. The allies retook the cannon and later put it to good use against the previously undefeated imperial guard.

of course, none of this can be simulted by civ3...
                              In civ3 Waterloo would have been a fight between 2 armies with the french stacked on top of a cannon. The artillary always fires first when attacked in a stack.

But I agree artillary units should have some defence. Even 1!, After all as you say the standard practice was to spike the guns before abandoning them.

Comment

Artillery firing first makes sense. I mean, in a lot of those mideval battles, you always had the archers and such firing first, and then a minute later the infantry and the cavalry attacked. Something like that, anyway, I only know about that stuff from movies so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X