No announcement yet.

Poll: bombardment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My previous question had deviated away from the original topic, and more questions have arisen, so I have created a new thread called, "AI's determination of War and Peace" to cover these new questions.

Sorry for the brief tangent.
    Adopting a child is the best gift you can give to yourself.

Comment

i like my modded bombard units. they are more useful, adn strategic, but dont unbalance the game
      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

According to the Rules of War

Before

After

According to the Rules of War
        Only after every Persian city on the border had been reduced to rubble did Hammurabi the Merciless begin his invasion.

Comment

God, Zachriel, I love your examples.

In AU 203, Arty has been critical for me in taking out 5 Persian cities... this while I've been facing MAs.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

yay, Zachriel, go get those dirty polluting persians.
            Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

hi ,

sure its important , when you keep a small army they really are worth it ( units with bombardment ability )

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I use bombard units when I discover artillery. Before that they are not so accurate. But of course naval units are used before arty as well, but in great numbers.

I think they are important against big opponents. You can use them to cripple their economy. Just erase the roads to the resources!

It can really help you win wars. Especially when attacked. Because the AI retreats damaged units!
                Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

I start mass bombardment with cannon because by then my infrastructure can churn out a pile of them without trouble. Before then it's all a bit of a mad scramble and the catapults are low on the priorities list. A few may get built and placed in strategic cities, but it's a rare cat indeed that gets to throw rocks the other way over the walls.

Comment

Bombardment is great when attacking. bombers can take care of roads, and more importantly railroads deepish into their territory, whilst artillery are very useful for bombarding the city before you capture it. If you take out the AI's roads and railroads then they will not be able to hit you with everything on the first turn.

Of course the problem is so many railroads to go after, this means you should plan where you attack, to reduce the amount of of railroads you need to get.

When launching a sea invasion after railroads are invented I always back it up with bombers, battleships and artillery. If you take out every railway within 3 squares of your landing troops, then you won't be counter attacked on your first turn, but the AI usually moves lots of units to within range of your recently landed artillery and tanks.

Comment

Bombardment is great when attacking. bombers can take care of roads, and more importantly railroads deepish into their territory, whilst artillery are very useful for bombarding the city before you capture it. If you take out the AI's roads and railroads then they will not be able to hit you with everything on the first turn.

Of course the problem is so many railroads to go after, this means you should plan where you attack, to reduce the amount of of railroads you need to get.

When launching a sea invasion after railroads are invented I always back it up with bombers, battleships and artillery. If you take out every railway within 3 squares of your landing troops, then you won't be counter attacked on your first turn, but the AI usually moves lots of units to within range of your recently landed artillery and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbill
                        Prior to artillery, I use bombardment as a defensive device. I rarely build catapults, not because they have no value, but because their truly useful lifespan is pretty short.
                        Then just upgrade them afterwards ...

Ancient battles with catapults are really funny and sometimes just ... NECESSARY.

Especially when your army is outnumbered by your opponents. Quicly building catapults and using your road network could just stop the invasion oft the AI.

The 1 HP they each can take away may make a huge difference, often resulting in keeping your city instead of losing it.

The strat doesn't work when you're surpassed in terms of technology of course ...

AJ
                        " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                        - emperor level all time
                        - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

For those who do not know, Tattila was referring to:
                          A city that has been heavily bombarded is EASIER to defend. Any people not killed have all the more places to hide themselves in the rubble. The streets are all gone, so anyone not intimately familiar with the area gets lost quickly because maps are useless (unless you have GPS ).
                          I beg to differ. The Rangers in Somalia had GPS, helicopters telling them which street to take and AWACS, and they still could not get to a crash site mere blocks away.

Comment

Bombard ment has 2 uses in my opinion

1) defence near hostile or nearly hostile borders preferable in a fort on a hill. Usually just 2 or 3 with some def units of course. Softens up those attacking units as they move thru. AI can be pretty dumb if your fort is right near a city they will completly ignore the fort but still move units thru ZOC.

2) destroying enemy infrastruture, eps with bombers to hit strategic resources and remove them from trade networks. Also your artillary in forts on hills as above can bust up road slowing the attack and buy you more time.

Comment

hi ,

bombardment is missing several things , ....

its great for now , but what about defense , we need an option like "double defense against air-units" , like in CIV II but more advanced

Firaxis

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Isn't is possible to mod an anti-aircraft gun which intercepts air units? But I guess that would look silly because no doubt it would fly across the screen like a fighter...

Really every unit should have an air defence score that determines the chance of inflicting damage on any air units.

Not necessarily anything to do with bombardment units though. only radar artillery should have air defence capabilities
                                Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Working...
                                X