Poll: bombardment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: bombardment

Some people claim that bombardment is a waste of time and that you're better off just building "proper" units. What do you do?
    No, never
    8.79%
    Once I get an airforce
    5.49%
    Once I get Artillery
    40.66%
    Once I get cannon
    7.69%
    Only if I've modded the bombard units to be useful
    5.49%
    Give me a catapult and I'll bombard with bananas
    31.87%
    Last edited by TacticalGrace; January 15, 2003, 11:21.
    Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Depends on level...
    Emperor or below --> no
    Deity --->yes (usually canon and up)
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I will use bombardment from catapults on if the tactical situation warrants it. As the game goes on my use of bombardment increases, especially once I get bombers.

Why do things the hard way?
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Sometimes (read: on heavily defended cities/chokepoints) I rely on the power of artillery. And if it's a coastal city, I also tend to use battleships&Destroyers.
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

It depends on the game's level, the technological advance and the type of bombardement.
          I do not bombard cities before artillery (units too weak) and do not bombard them too if I have enough MA to give an assault (it is often useless to bombard in late game, due to the great number of buildings, or it needs lots of time). In the opposite, I find very useful to bombard units outside a city. Furthermore there is no need to bombard in the lowest game's levels as the AI is not very strong.
          Nym
          "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

vote for modded

Comment

The higher the level the more the game becomes about advatages and disadvantages. Bombarment units add to your advantages in several ways.

1) Good defensive units. As enemies approach, you can get a first attack in to weaken or destroy their units. Of course you can not destroy their unit with your bombardment unit, but it sure is nice to knock a swordsmans down to one hit point and be able to take him out with a spearman or a warrior.

You also get a free bombardment from one of the units when the enemy does attack, thus inflicting more damage to your enemy,hopefully.

2) War is not always about taking cities. Damaging the enemy may be sufficent. After all, the AI or even other human players have to rebuild what is destroyed.

Killing enemy civilians decreases a cities production.

Tile improvements can be bombarded, thus having the same affect or even better. If a critical resourse is taken away, they may lose the ability to defend themselves affectively. This is nice to do with longer range bombardment units.

Destroying city improvements.

3) Going through an enemies territory on a campaign may require breaking up groups of units if you want to do damage to non-critical cities or territories on the way, thus lowering your defensive capabilities if an army or multiple stack units show up. Bombarding, allows one to break up stacks into smaller, but safe groups and still do damage.

4) Weaken those city and mountain units before attacking. I don't have the time or resource to keep rebuilding units that are lost in attacks. Given all Civs being equal, the AI can out produce me and is going to be more hostile towards me than any other civilization. The more civilizations there are, the greater the risk of multiple wars simaltaneously. I don't care about the items lost in a city, if I were to completely destroy the city and build a new one, I would have to build all the improvements anyway. Production and learning, that is what the father land is for.

5) Land and air units can not be damaged. No matter how much a square is bombarded by the enemy, their ability to bombard is not affected. Any units that has hit points are in a sense, because they do not have the luxury of being able to meet their full potential.

6) Keep those navel vessels away from me. I seem to do poorly at naval battles, especially if the units are of the same strengths as my units. When the enemy is going by with units to land on my shores, at least I have the chance of weakening the vessel so that my ships can have a descent chance of destroying them. My best example is when I bombarded a fully loaded aircraft carrier down to one hitpoint and was able to eliminate it with an ironclad. Oh how I needed that.

7) Upgradeable (Catapult->Canon->Artillary). I don't have to wait to build a large number of better bombardment units when I learn the necessary tech. I just have to have cash and then boom, I can have 6, 12, 18 better units. Definately a god send when you are behind in techs and you are in a defensive position.

8) Many would not consider this an advantage, but I do. I have to defend these units, so that my enemy does not get them. Thus, I have to build defensive units to protect them, which in turn requires that I build offensive units to protect the defensive units.

In summary, the low success rate of bombardment units are outweighed by the benefits that are recieved by them, even catapults. It just takes a fair amount of time to reap them. The important thing is to gain advatages over your enemy, so that you can keep them from; destroying, taking things, out producing, or even gaining advatanges over you.
              Adopting a child is the best gift you can give to yourself.

Comment

Prior to artillery, I use bombardment as a defensive device. I rarely build catapults, not because they have no value, but because their truly useful lifespan is pretty short.
                "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

9) enforcing ZOC. In civ2 we used to have ZOC enforced strongly without having to do anything. Now the ZOC is only enforced by fast units taking attacks of opportunity. Placing artillery on the stack strongly discourages any movement through your ZOC.
                  vs move 1 units, or in "slow" terrain:
                  catapult/cannon gets 3 shots
                  artillery gets 5 shots
                  vs move 2 units
                  catapult/cannon gets 1 shot
                  artillery gets 2 shots
                  vs move 3 units
                  catapult/cannon still get 1 shot
                  artillery gets 1 shot

PLUS if you can intercept and halt any units trying to get through your ZOC you can get many more shots on them. Once you've damaged units they might want to retreat back through your artillery fire.

thus it is possible to create a corridor of death which can be effective against a much larger army and especially deadly against slow units. But only truly efficient with bombard units.
                  Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Only and only if I'm defending a very important city near a dangerous border- Russia, Germany, Egypt
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I find bombardment to be frustratingly useless on cities, too much damage or too many "Artillery bombardment failed". I once had a city bombed by something like 3 BShips, 4 Cruisers, 8 Stealths and 4 MobArty and all bombardments failed. TOTALLY unreal.

They are however, really useful on units outside cities.

I mod the metropolis to have a 50 defense instead of 100 to make it a little easier to capture with ground units.
                      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

This poll is lacking in one major area...naval bombardment!!! From the moment I get Frigates I build a navy and use it. Nothing quite like 4 or 5 battleships pillaging enemy coastlines and softening up cities for attack. Sure bombarment dosn't always work, but if it worked 100% of the time it wouldn't be very realistic. I am more than happy with the results of my Navy's guns.
                        Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
                        http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

The failure rate on cities is frustrating, but I do find it to be very realistic to modern times. In the seige of Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad, during WWII, the Germans bombed the cities heavily. The remaining people in the cities as well as the troops were so entrenched, that it was going to take a lot more than big guns and a few troops to get them out.

I think moding the defense strength down is actually doing an injustice to the game. After all, the cities that are the hardest to get are those that have been built-up by a civilization over a long period of time and the people are going to be more willing to die for their home. This needs to be reflected in the game some how.

Straying off the topic of bombardment a little and focusing on a strategic model, I would like point out another unit that helps me. The explorer is an extremely cheap unit that has the power to pillage (I like to think of them as sabtours). Once railroads are prevelant throughout the world, I find this to be a great benefit to the defense of a newly aquired city or even to my territory. I rush a pair of them to strategic locations in enemy territory and pillage the rails and roads, keeping my opponent from strking back quickly. When the enemy does enter into range of my units, I can then damage them with my artillary, saving any bombers for more critical longer range projects.

Most of the time, my explores do not go far into the enemies territory, thus, I am able to retrieve them. If I lose them, though, no big deal. The AI doesn't seem to want to use them in the same manner and I can replace them quickly when I am ready to move on to another city. It also causes the AI to expend individual units on frivalous things (baiting them), which gives me a chance to weaken their overall strength by taking these sole units sitting in no-mans land.
                          Adopting a child is the best gift you can give to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by latka
                            The failure rate on cities is frustrating, but I do find it to be very realistic to modern times. In the seige of Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad, during WWII, the Germans bombed the cities heavily. The remaining people in the cities as well as the troops were so entrenched, that it was going to take a lot more than big guns and a few troops to get them out.

I think moding the defense strength down is actually doing an injustice to the game. After all, the cities that are the hardest to get are those that have been built-up by a civilization over a long period of time and the people are going to be more willing to die for their home. This needs to be reflected in the game some how.
                            Good point

Straying off the topic of bombardment a little and focusing on a strategic model, I would like point out another unit that helps me. The explorer is an extremely cheap unit that has the power to pillage (I like to think of them as sabtours). Once railroads are prevelant throughout the world, I find this to be a great benefit to the defense of a newly aquired city or even to my territory. I rush a pair of them to strategic locations in enemy territory and pillage the rails and roads, keeping my opponent from strking back quickly. When the enemy does enter into range of my units, I can then damage them with my artillary, saving any bombers for more critical longer range projects.
                            Good idea
                            Nym
                            "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

As soon as I get artillery, I build large stacks to tote around with me to enemy cities, and defensive stacks too. I only use naval bombard once I have ironclads, and then only against cities or vital rail connections. As soon as I get bombers I build quite a few; they are formidable additions to a tank or MA blitz.

I would like to see catapults and cannons be more useful, and naval bombardment beefed up a bit, but in general bombardment is very useful to me and I use it liberally. It could be the reason why I've never seen this "spearman beats tank" deal: By the time I get tanks, I won't be facing any unit with more than 1 or 2 hit points left.
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                              X