No announcement yet.

Civ III Site has been updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The facial animation looks a lot like claymation. Takes a bit getting used to when you're used to the static diplomacy screen in civ1/2 or that animated diplomat dummy in Civ2. I used to turn those off right away, distracted too much from the game.

Well, the game seems to be progressing, that's a good sign. But I'll leave my final judgement until I've played the game myself.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Oh my. . ant pant pant:

Oh my. . i simply can't wait!!!!!! Keep up the great work, Firaxis!

Oh, one note. . you mentioned having a replay function "similar to that of alpha centauri"

I hope it's similar in the fact that it exists, but hopefully its alot better, right? We want details!!! After conquering the world, whatever, we want to see all the juicy details of the glorious history we have created! The replay in alpha centauri looks like it took all of 15 minutes to program and was added at the last minute.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by connorkimbro on 03-01-2001 03:01 PM

The replay in alpha centauri looks like it took all of 15 minutes to program and was added at the last minute.

Judging by how many features that have been added in the last minute in thier earlier games I would say that that is probably exactly how long it took to do it. I still liked to have it back though.
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

One thing I would like to see in diplomacy is the ability to negotiate for individual land squares.

For graphics I would like to see a combination of Civ2 and Alpha Centauri. I like the elevation in AC, but the overall landscape just looks to bland. I love the clear variation of the different terrain types in Civ2, so if Firaxis could add a little elevation and blend the squares together, I'd be a happy camper.

Comment

Well, everything's been said so far, along the lines of keep up the good work and waht not...and by god, keep it up Firaxis!!

Dare I say it, but Fate will probably intervene in the development of Civ3...imagine this - a few days before Civ3 goes gold, Firaxis headquarters mysteriously blow up!! (

I think these forums would be a lot smaller cause of the community here would hang themselves.

The point? I CAN'T WAIT FOR CIV3!!!!

If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Excited!!! This update makes me DELIGHTED. I'm rendered GOOFY with anticipation.

Leader faces are PERFECT -- just the right amount of whimsy and brings back memories of Civ I! I actually had some mindless fun sliding the little slider around but only very slightly and I'm convinced I have some idea what it must have been like to chat, albeit formally, with Old Abe himself. Harel, I think the snarling is perfect. Thought Mao looked particularly cool. Don't think VOICE acting would enhance it, tho. There is an acceptable level of goof -- necessary, even, as in Civ I -- and they've hit it right on. Which is to say, not very at all. Just right.

I agree wholeheartedly with kaminwx, who hopes that the bargaining table includes the ability to negotiate for individual tile squares (or the equivalent). Meaning, I hope it's in the cards to be able to demand and give land and negotiate political borders.

WONDERFUL job Firaxis!

Comment

quote:

Thanks for continuing to send in your questions! Keep them coming and we'll post more answers in the coming weeks!

Now to our less patient Apolytoners out there: This means you should NOT start ticking the days off on a calendar and then post tearful regrets when the site isn't updated after "x" days. Notice he said "coming weeks."

Nice work, Dan. By the way, it seems one of your other duties is as a alpha/beta tester. Do you enjoy that work? Or perhaps they just let you play it more or less for fun and just report whatever you feel like?
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Must... clean... up... drool... Maybe later

I love the bargining table! Way to go Firaxis!!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just thought I'd note that the actual size of those leaders is probably the same size as the the ones in the screenshot.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by fluxcapacitor on 03-01-2001 11:56 AM
                      I have a plenty capable gaming system. T-bird 800, 256MB pc133, geforce2mx 32mb. But the more they show graphics on the site, the more and more I worry about the requirements this game is gonna have. Those face renders look like the stuff Nvidia's been showing for GeForce3. It looks like my 32MB card may not cut it for Civ3...

You have nothing to worry about. The advisors are pre-rendered and run fine on the most ancient, feeble systems we have in the office. I have a system at home very similar to yours and the game runs like a dream.

Dan
                      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
                      Firaxis Games, Inc.
                      --------------------------

Comment

Oh!?? the game runs fine!?!? So you are playing the game?? Where's my version then??

And you idiot! (in a nice way of course! pls don't stop civ3 shipment to NZ) I wanted to call Flux an idiot for not knowing they're pre-rendered.....*mumble* can work out what his comp specs are but not pre-rendered artwork *mumble*

Comment

Seeing Abe angry is kind of weird

It's like seeing Jesus with a angry face or Satan with a happy peaceful face. It's odd.

And the bg is from Civ2, I think Abe's one is too. Are they just temp backgrounds or are guys trying to bring back some memories?

If so, how bout that end replay huh?? lol

Comment

Finaly read it all (had to talk to my girl, wouldn't let me read anything, LOL, but I love her)

Anyway, all good, replay's in thats good, love Liz she looks manipulative. The diplomacy sounds great, and the terrain sounds interesting, can't wait to hear more about that. Thanks for the update, I was actualy wondering about the next update two days ago.

Comment

Amazing! Brilliant! Diplomacy looks absolutely amazing. I love that there will negotiations, mix-match of treaties and more choices. Trade embargoes, free passage are really great additions that will make diplomacy richer! The faces look really cool too. It does add that fun aspect to civ like civ2 did with the heralds.

Great stuff, so far Firaxis!

------------------
                              No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Dan do you mind if I ask a few non-Civ3 (kinda) questions?
                                1. do you artists use 3dsmax 3.1(or the new v4?)
                                2. Do they use CS?
                                3. Do the use any other Plugins (Head Designer, Shag-Hair, Shag-Fur, etc)

And how about this for a pearler
                                How well do you follow freeware Civ games?

BTW: Are this Question able to be asked under the ask the team page?
                                Thanks
                                heardie

Comment

Working...
                                X