No announcement yet.

Simple way to make CIV more "real"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disneyworld is hardly unique, and we don't need more American wonders.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer
      Disneyworld is hardly unique, and we don't need more American wonders.
      Sure, there's a lot of things like Disneyworld, but has anything so tacky on such a huge scale ever been constructed elsewhere?

How about getting rid of the Universal Suffrage or Cure for Cancer wonders, and adding Disneyworld.

Or at least the Mall of the Americas...
      You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

is there a difference between Mall of the Americas and Mall of America (in Minnesota), which they are doubling in size. What about the Disney World in Paris?
        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo008
          is there a difference between Mall of the Americas and Mall of America (in Minnesota), which they are doubling in size. What about the Disney World in Paris?
          Hmmm, maybe Disneyworld should be a Small Wonder.
          You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Here's another one:

As was mentioned, stacking units of different nationalities would be great. What would be even better if one could have control of an allied civ's military forces to conduct combined operations.

This is usually because the allied civs are pretty dumb when coordinating with your own operations. In SMAC you could at least suggest a city for your allies to attack.

Civs could agree to granting control if say, your armed forces were larger of if that civ was in awe of your own.

Another thing I miss from Civ2 is the ability to heal a unit by moving it "into" an allied city. This was especially useful for naval units operating far from home.
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Awesome ideas everyone!
              Yours,

LionQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth Hmmm, maybe Disneyworld should be a Small Wonder.
                thats a good idea too...

Originally posted by raguil_79
                (...)Another thing I miss from Civ2 is the ability to heal a unit by moving it "into" an allied city. This was especially useful for naval units operating far from home.
                How the hell did you do that? And get Marines to atttack from water????
                Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Originally posted by 123john321
                  How the hell did you do that? And get Marines to atttack from water????
                  In Civ2 if you tried to move a damaged unit into an allied civ's city, the unit would be partially healed, it would say something like "our Allies have repaired our damaged unit!".
                  A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by raguil_79
                    In Civ2 if you tried to move a damaged unit into an allied civ's city, the unit would be partially healed, it would say something like "our Allies have repaired our damaged unit!".
                    Which VERSION of Civ2 was that??

Comment

• hi ,

well the disney idea is not that bad , with some modding you can have certain wonders only for certain civs , ..... why not , ....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• 1) I don't recall the "casualty time line". Perhaps I will reinstall Civ 2 to find out.
                        2) Patriotism is created by ideology. Once one gets a sense that his way is best for one reason of another, it creates a sense of pride and then patriotism.
                        3) Your ideas raguil_79. I like them, especially the Hex grid. I have been complaining about no grid of any sort on the map in every game of Civ 3.
                        4) Coracle.... WOW man WOW. You have said what I try to get across. Lets just assume that he doesn't know that it is the US they are all trying to get too.
                        Proof of this is that only half the people killed in the Towers in NYC were American.
                        If they really hated the US so much, wouldn't they drive our business interests out, instead they imitate them. They burn our flag but accept for our currency.
                        They call us greedy, but lon for our consumer goods.
                        They call us evil, but love to enjoy our inventions.

And they do so much of this on the internet, which was created, by the way, by the US Department of Defence, and then given freely to the world.

I really don't think they hate the US. I think they are so jealous and envious that they can't stand it.
                        They don't understand that our culture is superior to all others, and that is why we are "The Greatest Nation to Ever Bless This Planet with It's Existence".

The US is on the verge of a cultural victory.

Comment

• I noticed all the countries that bobbo008 mentioned owe their freedom to the US.
                          Maybe we should let some tyrant really chew them up next time before bailing them out and see how grateful they are then.
                          Then again, the French, who would be speaking either German or Russian without the US, still manage to get up the nerve to bad mouth the US.

Comment

• this the right thread? anyways...

no, the French wouldn't be speaking German or Russian regardless. They are French. The defeats that may have been would not have been the total destruction of the French culture and language. You've basically stated the US as the savior of many countries, and I'll do you the favor of pretending you didn't say that.

Comment

• Ummmm.
                              Study WWII and try to tell me that is not the case.
                              The French would never have freed themselves.
                              I don't know of any country that without US aid would have lasted against the Axis forces.
                              China may have for many years, but even Russia needed some aid to check the Germans.
                              Britain would have starved.

Was there are other Country that was willing and able to be the Arsonal of Democracy?

The Germans introduced German text books into every country they occupied that they had any respect for the natives.
                              The only countries that may have been better off without the US around is Germany and Japan.

Now fast forward to the cold war.

Gee, what country held the Communists in check until they self destructed?

Why not do yourself a favor and after you delete your last post, let me know and I will delete this one so that others won't know your lack of historical knowledge.

Comment

• Who knew American propaganda was working so well?

"Study WWII and try to tell me that is not the case.
                                The French would never have freed themselves."

And the Germans never would have freed themselves from Napolean.

"I don't know of any country that without US aid would have lasted against the Axis forces.
                                China may have for many years, but even Russia needed some aid to check the Germans.
                                Britain would have starved."

Yes, world conquest would have been inevitable (heavy sarcasm). Resistance in occupied would have taken more and more troops away.

"Was there are other Country that was willing and able to be the Arsonal of Democracy?"

lol, that is such an american statement.

"The Germans introduced German text books into every country they occupied that they had any respect for the natives."

I thought I heard Hitler say something like "France is the mortal enemy of Germany and must be destroyed"

"Gee, what country held the Communists in check until they self destructed?"

If the Allied forces would have went straight through Germany and into Russia (German assistance would be given I'm sure) we wouldn't have had a Cold War. If there was no America, Western Europe would just have built up its military.

"Why not do yourself a favor and after you delete your last post, let me know and I will delete this one so that others won't know your lack of historical knowledge."

Your arrogance is forgiven because of your nationality.

Now go find a history book not written by an American. America didn't save the world, get over it.
                                Last edited by bobbo008; January 11, 2003, 22:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X