X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 site is here!!!!!!!!!!

www.firaxis.com/civ3

Yupppiiiiieeee!!!!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

-insert the sound of a falling chair here-

!
    Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Yes, it's true! Viva Firaxis!

I'm checking it right now...

------------------
      Rather be first in a village than second at Rome
      "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Now that I have caught my breath.

THANK YOU FIRAXIS!

The site is great. The units look absolutely SUPERB!! The graphics will be amazing in civ3 if these units animations are any indication.

The site has a few tidbits on combat. It looks extremelly promising. I can't wait to find out about the rest of the game.

It also looks like civ3 will have much more diversity in units. There are a panzer tank and a abram tank, also a F-15 and a MIG unit. This is excellent!

Also, in the community section, you can ask questions about the game.

Now I am going back to the site. see ya later...

------------------
        No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

(Pure conjecture)

I think it would overcomplicate the game and be very un-Sid Meier-like to have multiple versions of the same basic unit (i.e. F-15's/Mig's, Panzers/Abrahms).

Thus, I propose one of three things is going to occur.

1) They're going to ultimately use only one of these graphics for a final version (most likely).

2) The units stats will remain the same statistically (jet fighter/tank), but a different graphic may be used as the civilization becomes more advanced.

3) The unit stats will remain the same statistically, but a different graphic may be used depending on the civilization (tileset) utilizied (i.e. different civs already have different looking cities).

Once again, pure conjecture.

[This message has been edited by Frugal_Gourmet (edited January 08, 2001).]

Comment

oops...

it showed an error when I tried to enter in the first couple times so I sent 3 letteres to the webmaster and then pressed the refresh button and it worked...

Comment

Drooldrooldrooldrooldrool...

BTW, what the hell does that ace-swinging guy have between his legs?
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Sorry about the errors, hopefully that's been ironed out now.

Dan
                Firaxis Games, Inc.
                Dan Magaha
                Firaxis Games, Inc.
                --------------------------

Comment

I have the same problem Stefu has. There's a big puddle of drool at my feet now!!!

------------------
                  Frodo lives!
                  Frodo lives!

Comment

Anyway, Dan, now that you are here, are there religions in Civ3? Cause if there aren't, my work and all work done by contributors to Religion list thread is going to be wasted...
                    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Frugal_Gourmet on 01-08-2001 01:59 PM
                      (Pure conjecture)

I think it would overcomplicate the game and be very un-Sid Meier-like to have multiple versions of the same basic unit (i.e. F-15's/Mig's, Panzers/Abrahms).

Thus, I propose one of three things is going to occur.

3) The unit stats will remain the same statistically, but a different graphic may be used depending on the civilization (tileset) utilizied (i.e. different civs already have different looking cities).

I was thinking the same thing - Assuming that they're not recreating the unit workshop from SMAC, then the idea of having different looks for a given unit based on the civ that built it is sensible.

Did anybody else also catch the part in the FAQ where they say "In Civilization III you'll find ... unique benefits depending on the Civilization you choose ..."

Excellent! The one thing in SMAC I liked even better than the unit workshop was the 'Social Engineering' table, and the different benifits that each faction had. Including this type of feature will no doubt make the Civ's more fun to choose.

Excellent. Now if only there were some way to expect this game some time in 2001. Ah well.. quality takes time.
                      Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

Right on, buddy.

Knights in a Western European Civ would be Samurai in an Asian Civ would be something equivalent in a native American Civ, etc....

Just give a little flavor to different civilizations.

Or, they could give each Civ a unique unit/tech. a la Ages of Empires (i.e. Janissaries, Tarkans, Mangudai, Huskarls, Cataphracts, etc.)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stefu on 01-08-2001 02:51 PM
                          Anyway, Dan, now that you are here, are there religions in Civ3? Cause if there aren't, my work and all work done by contributors to Religion list thread is going to be wasted...

I'm not really sure if there are or not. Of course, even if I *did* know, I probably couldn't comment on that right now =)

I'll see what I can find out.

Dan
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          --------------------------

Comment

I don't think they're different versions of the same unit. The F-15 is a Fighter/Bomber aircraft, but the Mig 29 is just a fighter. The Abram's is a advanced form of tank, one of these could take on 10 PanzerIII's and still win!.

These are seperate units, with very different capabilities. To suggest each Civ has it's own version of a unit doesn't make sense. Where's the Zulu equivalent of a Stealth Bomber? Also, such a game model would require a massive amount of artwork!

Comment

Obviously these things only need to be added when units parallel one another historically. For flavor, surely.

And both the Mig and the F-15 are capable strike fighters which -- in a game like Civ -- would perform virtually the same role and appeared at the same time in history.

The Panzer/Abrams update makes me think #2 -- that the graphic may evolve as technology evolves. Otherwise, it would be horrendously beareaucratic and boring to develop a whole new slew of tanks 10 turns after your first collection was built.

Like I said, it would be very un-Sid-like to bog down the game with too many units. Either there will be a way of upgrading/updating units, units will have parallel graphics, or only one of these graphics will be chosen in the final cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X