No announcement yet.

Civ3 site is here!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah.. I obviously wouldn't suggest that there's a different design for each civ. Just as there were several architecture types in Civ2, such as oriental, greek, and european, there would only need to be several flavors as each unit. Otherwise (as someone else wrote - I forget who) you end up with an unlikely situation like in CTP2 where you are fighting battles in Europe with armies comprised of Confederate Cavalry, Oriental Samurai, and European Musketeers.

In later ages though, as the distances between civilizations become smaller, the differences between units need not be so great, (or need not exist at all).

ie: In 18th/19thc, maybe there are different city types and different 'versions' of riflemen for European and American Civs, however by the modern age, the buildings can all look similiar, and the 'fighter plane' units might also be the same.

After all.. Nowadays, armies look pretty similar the world around. Not ENTIRELY, but enough for game terms.
    Don't like to wait? Program your own bloody game.

Comment

Looks good to me.

They seem to be aiming to do the right thing - keep the best of civ1/2 gameplay, selectively add features, especially using SMAC as source, but going at least a bit beyond, and improving graphics (and presumably AI)

Not a Simnation, but not Civ2.5 either.

Oh, and an emphasis on customisability.

I will say nothing about the graphics, in keeping with my earlier promise. All I WILL say is that it is a wise marketing move to shoot for excellent graphics - this is a mass market game, with appeal to the owners of the 4 million copies of civ out there, as well as other who have never played civ. Excellent grpahics will help set it apart from all other TBS games, and hopefully draw people to the genre.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The unit animations look good. And it's about the right size for the map too. There's another point for the argument that the shots released earlier were in game graphics. I hope I'll be able to turn off the animations though. I don't want to sit through all the animations of every battle during 3 hour game sessions.
        I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by eNo on 01-08-2001 04:54 PM
          The unit animations look good. And it's about the right size for the map too. There's another point for the argument that the shots released earlier were in game graphics. I hope I'll be able to turn off the animations though. I don't want to sit through all the animations of every battle during 3 hour game sessions.

Civ:TOT allows you to turn off animations, which really helps on a slower system - otherwise things start to really creep in late game (on a Pentium II!)
          I assume it will still be possible to turn off animations on Civ3.

BTW, Civ:TOT also had animated terrain (spouting whales and such like). I wonder if Civ3 will have that?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Thank you Firaxis!

Now lets hope for update more periodically then the ones that Dinos got

The animation looks nice, a lot like a RTS game. Which means Firaxis is doing the right thing. They realize they must have the graphics to compete with the popular RTS. It looks like this early art will compete.

Keep up the good work!
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Yeah, can you imagine having a force of 16 Phalanxes and 12 catapults, all animating its way to Rome...let's see...that 28 * 250KB = 7MB just for 28 units!!! I can see the minimum requirements now... Pentium V with 1.2GB RAM and a GeForce 8.

Comment

Wow, someone up in this thread said sumpthin' like, "If only there was some way to expect it in 2001..." Do you guys really think that it might slip [if it's not already planned for next year] to next year? If so, That SUCKS!! I love the Civ series as much as anyone as will wait if that's what they do, but **** that's gonna blow if it doesn't make this year!!!
                Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

Comment

Compare the rendered images too the wire-frame. The rendered don't have the blue marks on them, while the wireframe do. May I suggest individual markings for each faction(wwhich it also appears there will be)

PS: What's the bet those guys are 3dMax users? I'd recognise some of those textures anywhere

Comment

FINALLY!!!

The Civ III website is Great, the new units are even better, and I like the way there are choices of several tanks.
                    Goodbye, I going back.

PS does anyone know how many units are to be included in Civ III
                    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Wrong. These animated units are equivilant of Age of Empires (the first one), which can easily run on 100mhz
                      and 16RAM (I've done it).

Great site, great artwork, I woohoo'd when I heard it was up :]

Comment

Beautiful - just beautiful....

Can't wait to see more of this game.

This is THE strategy game of the year.

------------------
                        Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
                        That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

btw I love the warrior animation, lol

Comment

Actually I think they look a little better than the AoE1. It could have something to do with my at 1280*1024 screen resolution though, making all the details look finer.
                            I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

Fantastic. The site looks great. I love the animation. one comment, the neck under the turret of the panzer is a little too tall. On the panzer III there was a very short neck (I'm looking at a picture of it in the book Military Hardware of WW II, and it look like about 4 to 5 inches tall). On the panzer IV there was none. I also build model for a hobby and I have build several German tanks in 1/35 scale.
                              The Abrams M1A1 comes with a 120 mm smooth bore and the Panzer III Ausf F came with a 37 mm, Ausf J with a 50 mm, and the Ausf N with a 75 mm. I thing it would take more than 10 to hurt a Abrams.

------------------

Comment

Yaaay!

I just hope they haven't gotten too carried away with the graphics and forgotten the important things...
                                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                                X