How to avoid cultural flipping when taking over cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about the following effects of CF:
    (1) smuggling of produce/funds to other nation (some lost corruption&waste turns up in an enemy city as useful shields and gold)

(2) Some of the population flips: An enemy settler is created next to the city (on their go so it can move immediately). Obviously this can be stopped by stationing troops around the city (berlin wall).

(3) defecting units. one or two units dissappear and turn up across the border as traitor units. These convert-class units could be marked as such and might have a chance of flipping back. If the converts are the only units in the city then the city culturally flips. veterans have a low chance of conversion. Elites have almost no change of flipping. Elite* units never flip.

(4) sabotage by enemy patriots causes damage to units (perhaps one or two points of damage). This could result in the destruction of a unit. If there are no units left then the city CFs.

(5) rioting citizens clash with occupation forces resulting in unit damage (as in 2) and loss of life (lose one pop point)
    Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalGrace

are you suggesting that ArmaGeddin isn't a native speaker?

and don't get me started on the fact that where ArmaGeddin resides there are two quite different meanings for a moot point...

Actually i'm a native American, born in Kansas and not of Indian ancestry. I do know the difference between the two words, however I have a tendency to type fast and not watch what i'm typing. I rely on the fact that there is always some anal retentive individual ready and waiting to point out my mistakes.

Comment

To avoid flips:

1) Have more culture. I had a 27 turn war while slowing taking the Vikings. Not a single city flipped back since my culture was better than theirs

2) Massive ROP violations. This only works once since it hurts your reputation. I used 77 MA, 4 Armies, 48 artillery, 28 Calvary, and 11 MI to take out the French in one turn last night. I was ready to live in peace with them but the bastards built the internet when I was 3 turns from finishing.

3) Leave units next to the city to recapture after the flip.

4) Raze.

Comment

My culture is almost always better than other civs also. I always build Temples and Libraries in all my cities first thing along with a Courthouse if needed. My build queue for starting cities is almost always:

Temple
          Library
          Courthouse
          Marketplace

This keeps my culture high and and most Monarch games I have to be quick getting to the space ship or killing the other civs to keep from getting a cultural victory.

Comment

Originally posted by planetfall
            1. harder to get AI to flip than my cities flip
            This is false. You are probably seeing only the amount of AI cities that flip to you... which ignores all the flips that take place between the AI players. It is not harder to get an AI flip than your cities to flip.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7 This is false. You are probably seeing only the amount of AI cities that flip to you... which ignores all the flips that take place between the AI players. It is not harder to get an AI flip than your cities to flip.
              Cyclotron/ is correct. CF works identically for human and AI players. Something which I actually has tested on a map consisting of two islands, each with one big, culture rich capital, and a small no-culture city belonging to the opponent. I did many tests with this map, and the small AI and human cities was the one to flip first abut half the time each.

One reason though, that many players lose more cities from CF than they gain, is that the human player normally is the one who steadily captures enemy cities. By doing this, the human player will get a lot of cities with foreign citizens, with a restricted number of squares inside your cultural borders, with less culture in that city than the former owner, and closer to the enemy capital.
              All those factors greatly increase the chance of a CF, thus you will generally see more cities flipping away than to you, even with a superior culture.

Now, if you really want to be on the receiving end of CF, try expanding your empire as much as you can, build up as much culture as you can, and then let the enemy slowly take your cities during war. Now you will soon see several of your cities flipping back. You will still loose though
              If you cut off my head, what do I say?
              Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Good analysis!

CF is just another way of slowing down the strongest players. A bit like partisans in civ2. Like CF they were annoying, unlike CF they were also totally useless.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaGeddin
                  I rely on the fact that there is always some anal retentive individual ready and waiting to point out my mistakes.
                  My man!!!
                  'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
                  For thou art crunchy
                  And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

I only lose 1-2 cities to the AI about every 2-3 games, typically in the very early game when attempting culture warfare (and losing). I typically have 4-5 CF to me from the AI in every game. But then, I don't play on the hardest level, and I am not a typical warmonger.

I usually have 1.5 times the culture of the next biggest culture amongst the civs once into the industrial ages, and only attack when attacked. When that happens, I try to get as many allies as possible (usually can get about 1/2 the civs to join) and stomp the offender into the ground as fast as possible, paying attention to the counter-flip techniques along the way.

Maybe it's time for me to bump it up a notch. But regardless, the Culture Flip & Culture as a whole is the main reason I play this game over SMAC. It's fun, easy to understand, and generally speaking easy to stack the odds on your favor (or reduce the odds against you) once you understand.
                    Fitz. (n.) Old English
                    1. Child born out of wedlock.
                    2. Bastard.

Comment

CF never happens during the turn the city was captured, so you can safely dump in as many troops as you want. Once the resistance is over, pop-rush buildings. A temple can eat up 4 population points, a Cathedral more than 10.

Comment

Yesterday I had a wonderful experience about culture flips.

I'm the Egyptians (yellow)
                        Difficulty Monarch. Large random map. Apolyton university rules/mod (or whatever you call it )

The indias lost their city with great wall to me by cultural flip. And none of my cities was on that continent . And the flipped city was next to the capital of Indians...

My capital is in the red circle, and my FP is in the blue circle...
                        Attached Files
                        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

ooh, the RNG loves you... it wants you to be its friend!
                          Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Yay, no more problems with barbarians!
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Well, the great wall was already obsolete, so no 50% against barbs... but still, I got the city walls to all cities (a change made in the AU1.06...)
                              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X