Choose your peaceful great leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose your peaceful great leaders

The BBCs survey of the greatest ever british people has been reduced to the 10 best. These could all be used in Civ3. But who would other countries use?

English:
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Winston Churchill
    Oliver Cromwell
    Charles Darwin
    Diana, Princess of Wales ???
    Queen Elizabeth I
    John Lennon
    Horatio Nelson
    Isaac Newton
    William Shakespeare
    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

They could not come up with someone a little more substancial than Diane?

Comment

Yes the inclusion of Diana makes a mockery of an otherwise fine list. It also makes the list far to biased owards the present...when it otherwise wouldn't of been.
      "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
      --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

When list are made my polling the general populance, you get too many modern names. I think that is due to many people not having being able to find their behind with both hands. Just watch Jay Walking on the Tonight show to see what I mean. Sorry for those that do not have access to the show, but it asks every day question of random people (often on a campus) and notes the responses. Example: (This is done in LA California, where Mexico is about 120 miles south and Canada is North some hundreds of miles) What nations border the United States Of America? Ans: New Mexico? (For non Americans, New Mexico is a state).
        Example: Asks to estimate where a mile is from the current location. Ans: The guys point to a spot about 1 block away.
        Not exactly trick questions.
        Last edited by vmxa1; October 19, 2002, 13:20.

Comment

Diana

Going back to your Q: I would probably say Newton.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Either Isaac Newton or Shakespeare, for the Brits.

Anyway, a few for other nations:

Greece:
            -- Pericles
            -- Themistocles
            -- Sophocles
            -- Pythagoras
            -- Democritus
            -- Plato
            -- Socrates
            -- Herodotus
            -- Aristotle
            -- Archimedes (who, to his credit, had a shot at discovering calculus 1800 years before Newton)
            -- Euclid

Rome:
            -- Cicero
            -- Horace
            -- Vergil

Germany:
            -- Albert Speer
            -- Einstein
            -- Heisenberg
            -- Niels Bohr (not German, I know...)
            -- Copernicus

America:
            -- Thomas Jefferson
            -- Thomas Paine (even though he's a Scotsman)
            -- Henry Clay
            -- Daniel Webster
            -- John Calhoun
            -- Teddy Roosevelt
            -- Ted Williams ( )
            -- FDR

China:
            -- Confucius
            -- Sun Yat-Sen
            -- Zhu Yuanzhang
            oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

USA: addition options
              Lincoln
              Edison
              Washington

Comment

Leaders listed that I would not include in a "peaceful" leaders list.

Lincoln
                Washington
                Teddy Roosevelt
                Winston Churchill
                Horatio Nelson(Not sure, wasn't he a Naval commander? Or am I think of the wrong Nelson? Doesn't matter, he's on the original list. Duh. Me=goober)

Now, I realise that these people all did great things, but I wouldn't classify them a "peaceful" or "peacetime" Leaders. If not for their respective wars, I doubt any of these men would have been "as great" as we now think of them.

I do like having a list of names to rename my Elites that have generated a leader already, though. Why is it these guys seem to die so soon after making a leader?
                "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Copernicus was born in Poland, so I would remove him from Germany. That is why I left Ablert E off the American list.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
                    Either Isaac Newton or Shakespeare, for the Brits.

Anyway, a few for other nations:

Greece:
                    -- Pericles
                    -- Themistocles
                    -- Sophocles
                    -- Pythagoras
                    -- Democritus
                    -- Plato
                    -- Socrates
                    -- Herodotus
                    -- Aristotle
                    -- Archimedes (who, to his credit, had a shot at discovering calculus 1800 years before Newton)
                    -- Euclid
                    Some More Modern Greek Leaders:

Kapodistrias
                    Trikoupis
                    Eleftherios Venizelos
                    Papandreou (don't kill me right-wingers)
                    " They will fight and die till the last warrior"
                    -Dimaratos to Xerxes, a few days before the battle in Thermopylae...

Comment

Re: Choose your peaceful great leaders

Originally posted by Destroyer
                      The BBCs survey of the greatest ever british people has been reduced to the 10 best. These could all be used in Civ3. But who would other countries use?

English:
                      Isambard Kingdom Brunel
                      Winston Churchill
                      Oliver Cromwell
                      Charles Darwin
                      Diana, Princess of Wales ???
                      Queen Elizabeth I
                      John Lennon
                      Horatio Nelson
                      Isaac Newton
                      William Shakespeare
                      I know most people on this list. But who's the top dude? Was he a fairy tale legend or a real historical person? And was Oliver Cromwell really a peaceful leader? Didn't he start a civil war or two? And what about Nelson? And Lady Die a leader? Naaawwww!
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Cromwell was a member of Parliament who was partly responsible for the execution of King Charles. He also lead the Parliament's army during the Civil War against the Monarch's army. After the King's execution, Cromwell became the Lord Protector of England.

Comment

Brunel was a railroad man (I played a LOT of Railroad Tycoon).

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Re: Choose your peaceful great leaders

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre

I know most people on this list. But who's the top dude? Was he a fairy tale legend or a real historical person?

Brunel was a polymath engineer/architect, with expertise in various fields- railways, bridges, ships, hydraulics.

Diana's inclusion is an affront to the other people in the list who did more with their lives than marry the heir to the throne and have a yen for self-publicising. And not be stupid enough not to wear a seatbelt.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

A good few replys, although Im ignorant of who Confucius, Sun Yat-Sen and Zhu Yuanzhang are (hey, Im also ignorant of what Diana did too, but at least its better than Beckham)!

Most of these guys could be split as leaders who produce bonuses in happiness, production, science or culture.

I always thought it would be great if you could capture your opponents leaders, and make them work for you.
                              The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Working...
                              X