Civ3, Addiction, Disclaimer, and Informed Consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3, Addiction, Disclaimer, and Informed Consent

Civ3 is addictive. Firaxis' designers know it. They should put a disclaimer and develop mechanisms for players to control this addiction (e.g. timer where a player sets how long he/she wants to play ahead of time, and after which the player cannot extend the game for extra turns/time).

Tobbaco companies got sued because in the past they knew that cigarettes were addictive but did not inform the public about it. Civ3 publishers should have a big disclaimer that civ is addictive and can "ruin" a person's life! I even contend that Feraxis should ask for informed consent to allow players to play for extended periods of time (e.g. players can set the game to play for more than 2 hours at a time provided they agree to a screen message that the game is addictive and sending Feraxis an automated email about their consent to play the game for more than 2 hours at a time).

Let's write ideas in this forum about how Feraxis can improve the game by making it less addictive or how Feraxis can give people mechanisms to control their addiction and the amount of time they play!

I like the game so much it is ruining my life!

Look out! It's not the game, just the UN! Don't build it! It has already overtaken your country flag and wiped out your Avatar! If you're not careful, Omega will send the black helicopters after you...

Comment

If you're having a problem controlling your Civ III adiction, I would suggest having a friend hold onto the game for you. Be sure to specify ahead of time that by no means is this friend to give it back until some fixed deadline is passed. With any luck, the thought of begging to get the game back, or buying another copy, will make you feel so stupid you won't even consider it.
      "God is dead." - Nietzsche
      "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Who are the morons that did not understand that cigarettes were addictive and could kill you? They called them coffin nails when I was a kid in the forties and I am sure it goes farther back then that. It was not a secret that nicotine is a drug.

Comment

Well, the morons have won tons of money from the tobacco companies, AFAIR.
          Nevertheless, Civ3 is addictive and they should put a disclaimer on the box. If you think about it, it would sound more like an advertisment: "Attention! This game is highly addictive !"
          Fortunately (or unfortunately) it doesn't really matter for me, since I don't have that much time to play it, anyway. I don't have kids, but if I had, I woudln't be happy to see them playing Civ 12 hours a day. Though I must admit that it would be much worse to watch them playing Quake!

Kind of related with the subject: I saw these days in the news that some korean guy died from exhaustion in a Computer Club after playing without breaks or food 2 or 3 days (and nights) in a row! Now this is what I call addiction! Poor fella ...
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

Tiberius, it was another set of idiots that gave them the money, if they manage to ever get it. Here the real bad news, it will not come out of the pockets of the companies. Understand, I do not smoke, so it is not like I care about the industry, just that I hate to see people rewarded for their stupidity or weakness.

Comment

Alert Alert It may be likely that Explorer579's login name and password have fallen into the hands of his wife or mother Be careful when logging on you dont know whos behind you.
              If my theory is right Id like to meet your wife/mum for some espionage tips cause everytime I attempt to steal tech etc I get caught.
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                Tiberius, it was another set of idiots that gave them the money, if they manage to ever get it.
                I agree. Actually the judges (or the jury) were the idiots.

Which reminds me a joke:

A doctor to his smoking pacient:
                You must quit smoking. I told you countless times, every cigarette is a nail in your coffin!
                The pacient:
                So what do I care that my coffin will look like a hedgedog?!

It's an old one, but maybe some young fellas haven't heard it yet

Edited:
                I hate to see people rewarded for their stupidity or weakness.
                You forgot impudence. For their stupidity, weakness or impudence.
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

This Addiction can ruin your life seriously...

True Story : My friend (who will remain nameless) Failed first year Law because of CIV 1 !!!! he stayed up til 2-3am every morning and never went to lectures.

Mind you, this saved him from becoming a lawyer so a small plus??.

As for me...well I have a girlfriend somewhere...usually see's the buzzing noise in the back ground while i'm trying to play CIV....
                  If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

Civ is not addictive. Power is addictive.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucarse
                      As for me...well I have a girlfriend somewhere...usually see's the buzzing noise in the back ground while i'm trying to play CIV....
                      My girlfriend is the "buzzing noise in the background" asking me to make room for her near the computer! She likes civ3, too.

Beware when playing against me in MP:
                      MY WORDS ARE BACKED WITH THE INCOMPREHENSIBLE STRATEGY OF A WOMAN'S MIND!
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

Re: Civ3, Addiction, Disclaimer, and Informed Consent

Originally posted by Explorer579
                        Civ3 is addictive. Firaxis' designers know it. They should put a disclaimer and develop mechanisms for players to control this addiction ...
                        If you will look in the back of the "manual" (you know, the one that has pages made of paper?), you will find the disclaimers and warnings to take a 15 minute break every hour. If it said 5 minutes, I might have paid more attention to it.

I know it isn't the software you were looking for, but they did cover their butt.
                        I like the game so much it is ruining my life!
                        Ditto, but I AM having so much fun...
                        I haven't spent more than about 6 hours playing the game at one sitting* ... well, not often anyway.

*"one sitting": not getting up at all; no glass of water or excreting hydrogonous wastes.

Comment

I'm also screwing up my life with this game: school personal life and so on.
                          Civ is not addictive. Power is addictive.
                          True very much, a game with a real feeling of power and this is the addictive factor. Which civ3 player wouldn't want to be a dictator of some country?

Comment

Addictiveness: the SOLUTIONS thread

I simply agree some solutions should be found... I've made a thread only for solutions, since it seems it's simply discussing addiction here :P

Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by: Jaybe
                              *"one sitting": not getting up at all; no glass of water or excreting hydrogonous wastes.
                              Dam'n you! You made me remember the nuns! And it's an elite nun too! I'm going to have to play four days straight just to forget that evil thought... (Sorry, I went to catholic school )

Comment

Working...
                              X