No announcement yet.

Winning Early: What do YOU do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captured workers (slaves) work half as fast as your native workers, whether you are industrious or not. Any benefit that a technology (Replaceable Parts) or a government (Democracy) brings to your civ also brings the improvement to your slaves - so they will always work at 50% of the speed as your native workers.

Catt

Comment

• lateralis, remember though:

1) Slave workers are free.

2) But keeping them (versus joining, disbanding, or selling) makes their parent civ not like you.

Best use I've seen: Arrian has been using them to pump up early cities.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Originally posted by lateralis
        is this right? i read it somewhere and immediatly changed my whole mode of play, i desband or join ALL captured workers at my earliest convenience.
        Well, one advantage of the slaves is that they are... well, slaves. You pay no upkeep for them. But I mostly do what you do, joining them to my cities. I do my best to keep the total number of workers down... and my own people do the fastest job...

Comment

• hi ,

slaves are only good for two things , ....

one ; to join a city
          two ; to be sold as a slave to an other civ

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• i keep the slaves i'm at war with... and send them to improve the newly "acquired" territory, so if there's a counterattack, i'd only lose those.

if the slaves belong to an extinct civ, i'll keep them (havn't noticed any change in attitude from the enemy), but if they belong to an ally, i'll trade it to him (the workers cost 1 upkeep each)
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• but if they belong to an ally, i'll trade it to him (the workers cost 1 upkeep each)
              No they don't. Your own workers do. The captured workers do not have any upkeep.

Why do you think we call them slaves instead of captured workers? They don't get paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred

No they don't. Your own workers do. The captured workers do not have any upkeep.

Why do you think we call them slaves instead of captured workers? They don't get paid.
                no, sorry, you understood it wrong:
                if i trade the worker to his home nation: that nation will have to pay 1 gold upkeep. for the same reason i disband weak units...
                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• OK.

However that saves the loss of a pop point to create a replacement. The good thing about giving them their own workers back is that it improves their attitude towards you. I give them back to allie myself when I actually notice that I have one of their workers.

Doesn't come up all that often though.

Comment

• Fantastic stuff! Regarding slaves: Is it advantageous to offer slaves of one AI to another? Besides anything you may get as trade, are there any reputation impacts? Thx...

Comment

• I don;t think so.

Again, tho', I think a better use is to join them to culturally 'safe' towns / cities.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• I may have it wrong, but I understood that the workers that you captured do create an irritant towards that civ. IOW, if you keep their workers as slave they don't like it. I tend to 1) join 2) disband 3) sell 4) use for a while. Early in the game 2 shields per worker can get something finished sooner. Even at industrial trait (mine)they are too slow until Replacement Parts.

Comment

• I tend to 1) join 2) disband 3) sell 4) use for a while

1) join

That will be OK with the Workers civ. It will at least not cause deterioration of relations with them. They are supposed to actualy like it if you do that.

2) disband

Bad choice. The AI does not like that one at all. I don't know if its worse then keeping them but they don't like it.

3) sell

I don't know on this one. If you sell them back to their parent civ I think its probably OK. Think of it as covering your expenses.

4) use for a while

Well that is what annoys the parent Civ. Maybe not as much as disbanding.

Someone Firaxis posted on this. They don't like their workers held. They like them returned, presumably giving them is better than selling them back. They don't like them disbanded. They do like them joined to your city. I guess they just forget about them in that case.

Comment

• hi ,

if you let them join your civ , and "distribute" them all over your empire , after a while they have identity cards of your civ , .....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• If you give/sell say, persian slaves to the babylonians, do they get pissed at you or the babs?
                              Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by Wormwood
                                If you give/sell say, persian slaves to the babylonians, do they get pissed at you or the babs?

Thanks WW, once again you have crystalized my thoughts most elegantly. Or, at least, that's what I meant to say...

Comment

Working...
                                X